Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oprah needs a lapband....

Is anyone else upset at the negativity Oprah's show displayed on WLS? I think the way she addressed some of the teens who had WLS was negative as opposed to the the positive outlook she had on the teen who was able to lose weight on her own. If everyone had a personal trainer and chef we would look awsome! what's Oprah's excuse???? Thyroid problem my butt... Just needed to vent..Thanks :)

I agree with you 100%. Give me a personal trainer and chef at my disposal 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, even on vacations, I would not have ever gotten this fat in the first place.

Maybe Oprah should try lapband and she would stop gaining and loosing weight. If anyone should know how hard it is it should be her.

I think she is definitely opposed to WLS, she's a strong person and I think she believes having surgery would make her "weak".

However, I thnk she needs to come to terms with the fact that despite personal trainers and personal chefs she continues to fight the weight battle. The chef can make lots of healthy food, but you can overeat good, healthly food, too!

With some exceptions, I am not a fan of children being banded. SOME children are overweight because the parents are overweight or becasue the parents never set limits for the children. Once these children are away from the parents influence, they might just slim down and if not then the band, or something better, will still be around then.

Adults can die from the effects of being overweight, but children don't. They have time and they should wait until they can understand this is a life long committment and not just a way to get into a smaller size or get a boyfriend.

I might re-consider for children that are VERY obese or those that have developed diabetes or sleep apnea.

Nah, she's entitled to her opinion....if someone doesn't like it...they shouldn't be tuning in.

She asked all the right questions and was even funny when she didn't call things by the right name.

Oprah KNOWS more about WLS than she let on.

I totally agree kids should not be banded...unless they have serious health issues, but I thought she would have been more considerate to them since she's been over weight her whole life. But I have to admit, If i would have known about the lapband sooner I would have got it done right after high school.

Amen-Amen-Amen!:)

But then she would have to give up all that "gourmet" food she loves eats like fried chicken, pizza, and hot dogs. (:whatchutalkingaboutI saw that Macon show, and the Gayle and Oprah Summer Road Trip Show) The lady just doesn't have that much will power. :piggy:Face it people we are power bunch of people:hurray:...the easy way out- my butt!:tongue:

I missed the show..darn it.. but I have seen shows were she has people on were had bypass. She seemed very supportive of them. One person I remember is a very short woman who had bypass and Opera really seemed to love and support her. Maybe she doesn't like the whole kid thing. Everyone feels differnt about everything. Even on this board depending on what Dr. banded you depends on how long your on liquids and what you can and can't eat. And I am a big Opera fan but I don't always watch her because she has certain shows that I don't agree with so I don't watch. To each his own I say

I look at the band as another tool, just like a personal trainer or a chef or whatever you choose to use to help you achieve your goals. I am not at all ashamed of the route I have taken to achieve weight loss and there will always be people who don't get it. Oprah is clearly one of them. She seems fixated on getting to the root of the reason for gaining weight. I'm all for that - therapy, whatever, it's all good ...I just want to lose weight too! And with the band you still have to work on the emotional stuff it just helps you deal better. She didn't seem to get that.

I actually think Oprah is annoying. I think she is completely full of herself. And I am VERY upset that the Discovery Health Channel next year will be the Oprah channel.

I don't believe we are all mentally screwed up in some way, so that our weight is merely a manifestation of some other mental/emotional problem. After watching my two children, one of whom has always had a weight problem since preschool and the other who never has, I believe it is physiological. I think the mental trauma comes as a result of obesity rather than it being a root cause. i rather resent people telling me I obviously have mental or emotional issues that make me overeat.

I remember the one lady she had on the show that had gastric bypass and oprah was very supportive, but I believe it was because that woman ( if we're talking about the same one) could barely walk, couldn't fit in a regular chair etc.

I think Oprah thought it was OK for that woman to have surgery because she was so BIG! Oprah can walk, Oprah can work, Oprah can fit in a chair, so she probably doesn't think she has as bad a problem that it would require surgery.

While Oprah works on discovering "WHY" she is fat, she will still BE fat, unless she can find the answer and she hasn't yet. Maybe she just likes potatoes!

I love the comment above that our bands are like our personal trainer or personal chef!

Oh, and I've never seen her give a car to anyone that had WLS, but she did give a Porsche to a guy that lost 200 pounds "the old fashioned way".

I actually think Oprah is annoying. I think she is completely full of herself. And I am VERY upset that the Discovery Health Channel next year will be the Oprah channel.

When you have millions of adoring fans and people tell you how wonderful you are, it's very easy to start believing it. Most celebrities fall into that trap. But the public creates the monsters, by wanting all the personal info and following what they wear, where they eat etc and trying to emulate them.

I don't take everything Oprah does, says, reads, eats, believes for my own gospel. I listen and decide for myself, what I do and don't agree with and believe. I have my own brain, thank you very much!

I think on the giant scale of humanity, Oprah does a pretty stellar job.

As for WLS, we all have our opinions which I think we tout loudly. She does well with keeping hers in manageable boundaries.

If you don't like what she has to say, tune out. I don't think she's going to sway anyone who feels WLS is right for them from getting the surgery.

Her facial expressions said it all to me. I was not happy with the way the show went off yesterday. Dr. Oz can kiss my ass.

Don't misunderstand me though...I love that Oprah makes such an effort to try and motivate people to lose weight. I am often inspired by her efforts. I think she's got a ways to go though as far as her support to those of us who have had WLS.