Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery done, sore and a little worried...

I had my surgery on the 29th and boy am I SORE!! I feel like a slob for not being as active before surgery as after. I am still in the same clothes I wore to the surgery center!!!

I'm trying to drink as much broth as I can along with Popsicles. I know I need to walk more and I've been doing the breathing treatments. I can't wait to take a shower. And it's been so cold here in TX the last fews days that I can't get out and do a lot a walking like I'd like. I hope this is all normal...

I have to schedule my one week follow up appt with my surgeon and I guess get back to a regular schedule. I think that I'm just worried b/c this is so out of the ordinary for me. I've been staying with a friend at her house since I had surgery. I'm ready to go home and to get back into my routine, ever so slowly.....

If there are any words of advice, I'd like to hear them. I will try to walk around the house a little more before I take some pain med and go to sleep on the couch.!

Later ya'll!!!

:frown:

Shandra

Woohooo Shandra!!

Glad to hear you are home safe and sound from surgery. It sounds like you are doing great though. I know it's cold here so just putz around the house. Make sure to drink Water too!!

{{hugs}}

wombat

I have been doing pretty well, until yesterday (Sat). I drank half of my Calcium (horse pill) in the morning. Then drank half of my Protein Shake, and felt a huge sensation of extreme GAS, at least I think it was gas? Then I felt like I could not breathe very well, it felt like a huge ballon being inflated in my chest... I got soo scared because I felt like I could'nt breathe. Then I feel like everything I drink, Water, Protein Drink gives me gas and I start belching? Is all this normal, my post opt appt is on Wed...Any advice?:)

It all sounds pretty normal. You need to take things very slow when drinking anything the first week. GAS is horrible the first couple of weeks and will give you the pain you were describing. It will pass, I promise.

I had the same problem with gas--every swallow felt like a lump in my throat and burping relieved it. Gas was coming out of me everywhere!! And the stomach pressure was awful. I didn't shower for 5 days !!!!

By one week post op I finally felt like myself and was able to drink the required amounts. It was a rough week---and my doc requires Clear Liquids 2 days preop and an additional week post op. sleep is good for you, rest, you're healing, and hang in there.

Hey Marcy I had the same "chest inflated like a balloon and not able to breath feeling" the past couple of nights. It seems to be that I'm not eating slow enough and I know that this will be a work in progress for me because I've always been a fast eater. I'm not patient! What I have found that helps me is to get up and walk around my living room for about 10-15 minutes and take nice long breaths as best as possible. It really helps me feel better. However it does confuse my dog!!! He just sits there and watches me pace back and forth....asking himself "what the hell is my Mama doing?!!" : )

Hang in there!!

I know I've put babies in a bath with warm Water to relieve gas when nothing else seems to work. Anyone tried this?

OK, now I'm two weeks post op and I can go to the "Blended" phase of my diet. I was told I could have flaky fish and I've been eating some of that.

I cut it up to tiny little pieces and I chew it for at least 30 times before I sallow. I feel I could eat anything. I had some mashed 'tatoes, tonight as well. I'm trying real hard not to drink anything with my meal, before and after. I don't go for a fill for another 4 weeks (need to get that scheduled!).

I'm worried that I am eating too much or not correctly. I'll go back over my doc's info, but it says I should be eating baby food consistency foods.

I'm down the 20 lbs from the first day of my liquid diet (212 to 192.5) OK almost 20 lbs.... :D

I'm back to walking my dogs 1.5 miles a day and my incisions are healing nicely.

I've been so tired that I didn't want to go back out to the support meeting tonight. I will go next month.

Have a great night!!!

:tt2:

Shandra

Hey Shandra - I am two week out (as of today) and I'm eating the same as you, well, I haven't tried the fish yet, but was planning on that for dinner tonight... my doc seems to have given me a slightly different phase-in diet as what others on here have had. I have not had any problems with restriction and I am eating CONSIDERABLY less than before -- I don't get my first fill until the 11th of March..... Right now my meals have consisted of Soup at hand Soups by Campbells, yogurt, cottage cheese and I have mastered chicken (chewed up very very well) and of course those mashed potatoes!

I didn't get in on March 11th for my fill due to probably not getting my rear in gear to get it scheduled. I'm set on ....March 21st!! Almost 8 weeks post op!! I'm at the point that I want to feel restriction so I can stop eating! I still get hungry!!!

I'm not afraid of the fill itself. Just how it'll show me how to eat. I am one who'll have to experience the negative at least once before I "get it". I bet I could eat anything I wanted, as long as I chewed it well.

:)

Shandra