Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraged :(

So I went to my Dr today to start my 6 month diet plan and i have to go to a new doctor since i'm in college and can't make it back to my hometown doctor. and talking to her she wants me to start all over with the diet and exercise and diet medications! I tryed to explain to her that i've already been there done that didn't work! She just kept on how i should changed the current medications i'm on like the depo (because i get really bad Migraines and cramps that put me out for days) to something else and my Migraine medicine and my depression medicine because the side effects are weight gain....hello i wouldn't be on most of them if my obesity wasn't causeing me to feel depressed and down and then she tells me that she doesn't want to fill out the papers for my diet plan because she doesn't feel qualified....all it is gonna be is her signing the papers saying i'm trying to go to the gym and eat right yadda yadda.... She flat out said to me she doesn't support weight loss surgery! what should i do i feel like if i switch docters again it'll look strange and i don't wanna push back getting my surgery since i'm in my senior year and will only have insurance till december! I'm so upset I've been eating good for more than 2 months and no change in fact i gained 5 pounds and exercising i just don't understand i feel like i'm lost and the doctor just doesn't get it! any advice or words of wisdom i could really use some :tongue:

It seems like your doctor will not support it at all, no matter what you do; so it's either stick with this doctor and never have hope, or not care how bad it looks and find a doctor who will support your decision. Maybe you can call around and ask doctors if they support WLS. If they say no, then try another. Mine luckily did, but I found out through a friend that had her and helped my friend get approved for her surgery, so I knew right away she supported it. Good luck.

I would change doctors. If this doctor doesn't support your decision then you should not be seeing her. I am sure that as long as you can provide 6 months of consecutive doctor's notes then you will be fine. Just don't let the change in doctor's make you miss a month then you will have to start over.

Will the surgeon that you want to have the surgery with see you to supervise the diet? I had the option to see my pcp or the surgeon each month and I am choosing to see my pcp since I like her.

Change docs, and they should be able to take your records from your hometown doc. Call around and find a doc who is 1. supportive of wls 2. can take records from previous docs.

Good luck!

My suggestion to you is to go into your Insurance Company's website and research who they recommend in your area for Bariatric Surgery--that way you wil get on board with people who understand and care about you.

My insurance company required the six monthly visits to a nutritionist too--I could have gone to my primary care physician and had him fill in a paper monthly for them, but I decided to go with the Insurance Company's nutritionist because that way I KNEW the monthly report sheet was being filled out and submitted.

Yes, it's a pain to go through all the hoops--but it's all so-o-o worth it, trust me. Get your resolve on and don't let these obstacles beat you down--you'll be so glad you did! :tongue:

Make 33 has a great strategy. Find out who in your college town is supported by your insurance and never see that doctor you saw again.

There are many ways to solve a problem. Don't give up!!!

Thank you to everyone for the advice it made me feel so much better that lady just totally brought me down. After about 3 hours on the phone I now have a appt with one of the doctors at student health that i had the nurse ask in person if he would be willing to help with this *thank goodness he said yes* I've decided never to go back to the other doctor ever again. She just made me feel like shit i wish there was away to warn anyone that went to her with the same idea in mind. looking forward to my appt even though the soonest i could get in was the 14th it's still okay thats still enough time to get all the insurance stuff to go though and if not who know's maybe i'll decide to go to graduate school to keep the insurance for longer haha once again THANK YOU ALL!!! if i didn't have the support of everyone online that know the frustration and what i'm going through i don't know what i would do. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! :tt1: :tongue: :wink2: :smile: :cool:

yeah i actually have two now a blue *4months gracie* and grey *2years Maggie* and the matriarc of the group is our 6 year old black lab Abbey they are quite the clan

Switching doctors will not look bad. The doctor is pushing her personal opinion upon you. It's not her decision. It's yours. If she does not want to help, there are plenty of doctors out there that will.