Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm home, I'm banded and this is how it was...

Ang~ I'm so happy to hear your surgery went well. I love hearing the play by play too. I know what to expect and it becomes a little less frightening, so thank you. :cursing: Continue your speedy recovery!

Congrats ANG! Welcome to the other side. I hope today is treating you well. Day 3 for some reason was my most exhausting day!

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone! I've actually been doing alright - not too hungry, bit of a gas pain everyonce and a while still but I also know I haven't been walking as much as I should (and to top it off it snowed today lol). But I'm doing alright! Looking forward to moving onto the full liquids stage as the Clear Liquids is starting to get a bit boring.

Today was a quiet day so even for day 3 post surgery, it wasn't too shabby. I did however get to take a shower today - first day since surgery that I was allowed and well - that was quite the experience. We just have a stand up shower stall so DF stood at the open door and took a wash cloth to all the iodine, etc on my belly. The Water wasn't super hot the way I usually like it as I thought it was probably not a good idea on my tummy. I had just finished washing my hair and rinsing it when I knew bad things were about to happen. I think it is from a lack of calories/nutrients and the hot Water as I opened the door and told DF "must sit now" (he was waiting outside the shower for me in case I needed him) as I knew if I didn't sit down I would have passed out in the bathroom (which isnt very spacious). So dripping wet I made a beeline for the toilet seat and had to sit there, leaning against him while the dark cloud came over me (I don't know if any of you have ever passed out before or almost passed out - but it's not fun). This is not a feeling that I am a stranger too and I knew the signs that it was coming - I've had issues with this since I was a kid (blood tests come back fine though everytime and it's VERY sporadic and occasional). I was leaning against him and I think I did actually pass out (wasn't from pain as I wasn't in any) leaning against him. When I was able to we got me to the bed, I lay down and just chilled there for about an hour. So note to everyone, if your low on your calories/blood sugar, careful with warm showers as that is usually what triggers me on my "near black out" moments, and post-surgery was no exception.

On an exciting note - my official "weight day" isn't until Wednesday so I am not updating or putting it on my tracker but so far - down 8 lbs since surgery on the 23rd. I realize that I will likely gain some of this back once I start mushies but I'll be so damn happy to have mushies I don't think I will care!!

Hope everyone is doing well! *big hugs and well wishes to you all*

Never heard that before....Has that been your experience or is that a known thing? It's funny, because my day 3 post-op was not pretty, I can tell you that much! So maybe it's true!

It's actually been my experience (as well as that of friends) but also what has been told to me on more than one occasion by doctors.

Hiya - congrats on making it through to the other side! I live in Surrey and you're the first person I've found who's gotten this done in the MetroVancouver area. Would you mind telling what it cost? Is any covered by bcmed? Does Dr. Woodhead do bypass also? Is he accepting patients? Thanx so much for posting.

Thank you! If you check out the Canada boards there is a group that posts under different threads related to BC Bandsters, you should check them out some time. None of the lapband procedure is covered by BC Medical unfortunately, and likely won't be any time soon. Gastric Bypass is covered but I believe the waitlist is about 6 years now for it if you have it paid for by medical. I don't know if he does bypasses or not (I don't think he does though) but he does do the "sleeve". His cost is $400 consulation fee (first time you meet with him) and the cost of the surgery is $14,000 (includes free aftercare fills no charge for them). I believe he is accepting patients you just have to call and ask how to go about getting a consult (they send you a questionnaire to fill out) - I'll pm you his number. I will say though - if you are seriously considering the band and have the money to self pay - give it great thought before going to Mexico or the US at this point. Not due to lack of great surgeons but due to there not being very much aftercare options in BC right now. Dr.Leung in Surrey also does the lapband and WILL NOT accept any other surgeons patients. Dr.Woodhead *may* and I say that with great emphasis as I know he prefers not to as well. Other than that, your only other option for aftercare would be to travel to Everett area in Washington to one of the fill places there. So be sure you check out all of your options before settling on a location/surgeon. I would have loved to go to Dr.Kirschenbaum in Denver for a cheaper price but figured by the time I have to go through the hassell and paying for fills (most places charge $150-200 in the states , per fill) that it wasn't worth it and that it was worth shelling out the extra $5000 up front. Good luck on your journey and decisions, feel free to message me at any time. :cursing: