Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

Panic to peace and back - that's a perfect description of how I feel these days! I guess as long as it's peace at the end of the day I can sleep...

Thanks, Phyl.

Panic to peace and back - that's a perfect description of how I feel these days! I guess as long as it's peace at the end of the day I can sleep.Thanks,Phyl.

I should've said Peace to PANIC and back, because your episodes of panic are brief.. you never stay there very long from what I can tell. And you have prepared yourself so well! You sound like a seasoned bandster and you haven't had your surgery yet. I have every confidence that you are going to be a LapBand SUPERSTAR!! I can't wait to see your progress!

I am trying very hard to listen to my body today!!

I came home from chapel not feeling hungry even though it was lunch time. We passed on our twice a month potluck after service. Then DH wanted to heat up some leftovers for me but I just wasn't hungry so I didn't eat. Now it's almost 2pm and I'm still not very hungry so I'm just having some cheese and a few of my veggie crackers (14=120 calories so I picked out about 10....maybe 100 calories).

Partly my own fault that I'm not hungry... After our chaplain preached a great sermon on forgiveness and grace and mercy, an usher confronted me on my way out and chewed me out for where I parked my handicap scooter. It was out of the way and I'd asked a couple of the ushers if it was okay to leave it there. So when he continued to chew me out and tell me I should've left it outside, etc., I got a little hot under the collar! When I get the least bit emotional about anything, my band seems to choke up and I feel very uncomfortable, almost like I'm going to PB, and I start burping! So, I'm so proud of myself because I'm walking more and parking the scooter, and I even joined the choir which necessitates going up some steps to the platform, and standing longer than my knees care to stand, and then I get chewed out because some usher didn't like where I left it! UGH!! Send me some of your PEACE, Joann! I guess I need to ignore over zealous ushers!

Hi Everyone, I turned 60 in Oct and as a gift to me I wanted to be banded.:thumbup: My surgery is scheduled for Dec 18th. I am just about finished with all pre op stuff. I don't need to do the pre op diet.:rolleyes: I will be a self pay.:wink2: I am struggling with my aspirin regimen. My Cardi dr doen't want me off aspirin but my lapband dr is no aspirin ever. I meet with my cardi again on Tues. Anyone Have this problem? I am continuing as if this will happen.

I look forward to reading and posting.

I am struggling with my aspirin regimen. My Cardi dr doen't want me off aspirin but my lapband dr is no aspirin ever. I meet with my cardi again on Tues. Anyone Have this problem? I am continuing as if this will happen.

Hi, I continue to take a baby aspirin daily. My LB doc has no problem with it. I do take the coated 81mg aspirin (the cheap ones from Dollar General). I expect they reach the stomach before beginning to dissolve. Were you taking a whole 325 mg aspirin or the 81mg baby aspirin size?

JoanneMarie,

My advice would be to start the liquid phase on November 28th , Look at it as the first day of the rest of your life. Enjoy Thanksgiving Day/ dinner, be thankful for your decision to move forward in your life, you family and all your blessings.

The Realize Band has been great for me, my support group is made up of all varieties of WLSurgery types and we share our successes and what works for us as individuals and as a group. Some are one week out from WLS and some are 5 years out. Support counts!

Keep in touch

JoanneMarie,

My advice would be to start the liquid phase on November 28th , Look at it as the first day of the rest of your life. Enjoy Thanksgiving Day/ dinner, be thankful for your decision to move forward in your life, you family and all your blessings.

The Realize Band has been great for me, my support group is made up of all varieties of WLSurgery types and we share our successes and what works for us as individuals and as a group. Some are one week out from WLS and some are 5 years out. Support counts!

Keep in touch

Thanks, LK. MY plan for the pre-op is definitely starting on Nov 28th - leave Thanksgiving alone, thank you, and enjoy the meal and family time. But since I meet with the surgeon the day before Thanksgiving, I decided to give her the last word. My guess is she will say to start on Friday - but if she is going to play hardball with me - I will give in immediately! For the next phase of my life SHE is the boss of me. If I end up eating the turkey broth and cranberry Jello I will enjoy it and be grateful I am 6 days from my surgery at that point.

Good advice about the support group. My surgeon is about 1 1/2 hours from my home, so I don't know if I will be hooking up with a support group at their location. I have heard that at least one of the surgical groups in Kansas City welcomes people who have been banded elsewhere in their support groups. I will look for one of those some time this winter. I'm going out of the area in order to go to a Center of Excellence where the surgeons also accept Medicare and a supplement to pay for the surgery. The only Center of Excellence in K.C. area - the surgeons are not contracted with Medicare and you are expected to make up the difference. Good surgeons from what I hear, but we're now living on our retirement savings, and I can't justify that expense in these difficult times.

Thank you for your encouragement!

Phyl, I can't believe you were treated that way. The usher apparently was not there for the sermon and certainly did not get the message. I am so sorry that happened to you. It breaks my heart when things like that happen in church - where it should never happen.

Hooray for you, though - parking that scooter (anywhere!) and walking more - and joining the choir??? I'll bet you have a great voice and I'll bet you will really enjoy singing in the choir.

Hi Everyone, I turned 60 in Oct and as a gift to me I wanted to be banded.:lol: My surgery is scheduled for Dec 18th. I am just about finished with all pre op stuff. I don't need to do the pre op diet.:rolleyes2: I will be a self pay.:tongue2: I am struggling with my aspirin regimen. My Cardi dr doen't want me off aspirin but my lapband dr is no aspirin ever. I meet with my cardi again on Tues. Anyone Have this problem? I am continuing as if this will happen.

Hi there, I wanted to let you know I had 5-way-bypass heart surgery 8 years ago. My arteries were 95% clogged. I have done great, even though the healing phase was horrible. I had lapband surgery in 06, & I've done wonderfully with it. I have been on 81 mg of aspirin every single day since surgery without a problem. I did stop taking it for just a week before surgery though. I have never had any stomach or band problems, whatsoever. I think everyone our age should be taking a baby aspirin a day as prevention for heart disease. It is not going to hurt your band in any way. It's a very small dose, & washed down well with Water, it doesn't even present any form of GI upset. Good luck to you.

:rolleyes2: Here's roxie.........I have all of my pre-op tomorrow and surgery on 12-17, it is getting scary now and I am so afraid of failing. It does sound like the band doesn't just limit your intake but causes you not to have as big of an appetite. Is that right?

:) Here's roxie.........I have all of my pre-op tomorrow and surgery on 12-17, it is getting scary now and I am so afraid of failing. It does sound like the band doesn't just limit your intake but causes you not to have as big of an appetite. Is that right?

Hmmm.... the band will do 25% of the work, but you have to do the other 75%! It wil take several fills to get you to good restriction... probably three at least. That will help control your hunger, but you still have to make healthy food choices. Don't pick "slider" foods.... thinks that slide through easily... mashed potatoes & gravy, ice cream, high cal stuff. You must eat hard Protein, then veggies. And exercise is key, also. The band is a tool and it helps you with Portion Control, and hunger to some extent. But you will have to harness the head hunger!!

I agree that the baby asprin will not hurt your lapband.. HOWEVER.. the asprin does thin the blood.. and for that reason my surgeon wanted my asprin stopped before surgery. I'm sure the cardio will allow a temporary stop of the baby asprin.. you can start it back after the surgery.. Talk to your Cardio about it. I had my triple bypass in 1998.. but my Cardio doc was very supportive of all LB surgeon's requests. Good luck.. but talk to your doc.

Thank you Phyl. I want the bottom line so I have as few surprises as possible. You guys never mentioned how awful the barium tastes for the upper GI. Yuck and the xray techs say I will have a few more of them.

Hi first time using this site, not really sure how it works. I had my lap band on Nov. 19th.

They had to repair a hital hernia , didn't know i had it. But all went well and i am feeling really good.

Hi first time using this site, not really sure how it works. I had my lap band on Nov. 19th.

They had to repair a hital hernia , didn't know i had it. But all went well and i am feeling really good.

WELCOME!!

So glad you found this site. Lots of good info here, and lots of good support and encouragement.

Hiatal hernia is fairly common and many have that repaired when they have their lapband surgery.

Glad you are feeling good.

So good to read all the new posts and see more folks discovering our 60+ site!! WELCOME!!

Pati, I see you got your ticker going. Still having trouble with a photo?? I have a good one of you that I can resize and email to you if you want... from our lunch date last month. It is a challenge getting it to post!

I would love to answer all the new posts more personally, but I am having to limit my time online until they get some more bandwidth for our WiFi here in the RV park!! I got my hand slapped the other day... with a smile, of course... this IS a Christian park!! Apparently I was using WAY more bandwidth than everyone else!! They didn't know who it was so they just shut me down and waited for someone to show up in the office whining about being shut down.... ME!!

I think Facebook might be the culprit...

unfortunately, my new addiction!

I discovered you can play Sudoku there,

and I enjoy Parking Wars and Speed Racing!!

Sorry... my second childhood, I guess!

So.... Keep up the good work everyone!!

JoannMarie.... I get tickled reading your posts.... from panic to peace and back!! You'll be fine!!

Hi: Never apologize for having fun. I find playing computer games makes my time go so much faster and I never think of the refrigerator or Snacks. When watching TV food is all I think about. I find the stats interesting that the "gaming world" are now starting to realize that women make up over 50% of gamers. Hey, if I can have fun while loosing weight, what do I care if someone thinks I am having a second childhood. :laugh: