Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

eatting out

I would like some guidelines on eatting out. I saw an little Atkins book once that had guidelines. If you went to a Thai, Mexican, Indian or other restaurant the following foods were good choices and these foods were bad choices. Does something like that exist for lapbanders?

Since being banded, I've not had a successful meal out.

What I mean is...for me now...others don't have this issue.

If I eat until I'm satisfied....I go to the bathroom several times and about time 3 is when I've had enough....getting up and going that is.

Or, I just get a meal, pick at it and TAKE HOME BOX.

I used to enjoy going out to eat. Now, I don't.

But isn't that a good thing? I find joy and fulfillment in staying home with my family, preparing a home cooked meal with fresh ingredients.

I'm happier now than ever!

Not that I am aware of. Many of our Dr.s provided us with a card stating we had had WLS, and asking that they honor our request to order child size portions.

That is the best we can do. Look for healthy foods, cooked in healthy manners, if it is something you do often---dine out I mean. Ordering a al carte is an option---just a side dish of something, or a bowl of Soup. Many salad bars now have things like chicken salad etc on them.

Fast food kid meals are more than enough! I usually order some sort of chicken or burger, and ditch the bread. French fries are VERY tricky. One or 2 very slowly, or I instantly feel 100% completely totally full!

Mexican food is by far the easiest for me to eat of anything!!! Chinese is ok, if I watch the amount of rice.

I know of no book---just recommendations from the people here, and common sense, and I have survived it.

Welcome to LBT Abby!!!

Kat

I can eat out and take 2/3 of it home for other meals. I can order smaller portions, that is not the problem. I travel a great deal for business; somewhere between 25% to 33% of the year although this year I am hoping to lower it a bit. I need to eat out so I am looking for healthy suggestions. Is the Atkins book a good idea?

My coworkers treated me to lunch yesterday at Applebee's in which I ordered the boneless buffalo wings and a house salad, I then ate 2 pieces of the boneless wings because it is all breast of chicken along with a small saucer of salad with very little dressing. I was able to eat off it the whole time we were at lunch, nobody suspected anything (they don't know that I have the band) and I took the rest home, which my husband was more than happy to eat. I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago when my husband took me to Red Lobster I just use a saucer (bread plate) and put on it what I am going to eat and then I push the rest to the side it can either end up being my lunch and dinner for the next day and then I give the rest to my family or I will just take it home to the kids it all depends on what it is. So in a nut shell the saucer is your friend. Breast of chicken and steam veggies are always a good choice and can be used for many meals once you take it home. Good luck.

My Dr. actually recommended reading the Southbeach diet book for guidance on diet. It allows carbs in a healthy manner--whole grain mostly.

It is a lower carb approach, but not as strictly as Atkins. It seems like it focuses less on eating ALL meat, and allows vegetables, and whole grains. It places importance on the Glycemic Index of foods. I have the book, and glanced at it.

That sounds terrible!!! He recommended it, at my first appointment, before my first fill even. So I bought the book, then within a matter of a week after, my DH was diagnosed with a failing heart valve, and had surgery, and multiple complications....and I muddled my way through, with eating out, and hospital food for days on end. Then when I got home, I guess I just never gave it much thought!!!

It was however what was recommended to me through the doc!!!

Kat

I'm fortunate in that 98% of the time I'm eating out I'm with my husband and/or kids and grandkids. I just get an extra plate and take a forkfull or two from their orders!! And actually, my friends don't mind sharing with me either.

But when I eat out with someone I'm not comfortable asking to share I will order something -- protein! -- ala carte, like a grilled chicken breast or a fish fillet.

I need to ask my doctor about one of those cards to carry!