Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realize band vs. Lap band

The lapband ports do not puncture...that's a ridiculous statement and theres no way any surgeon in the world can make a statement on a product after using it 7 times as compared to hundreds of lapbands.

A note for all future banders considering surgery....DO NOT LET YOUR SURGEON SWITCH BANDS ON YOU AT THE LAST MINUTE!! ITS GOING IN YOUR BODY, NOT HIS OR HERS. YOU MAKE THAT DECISION.

Please keep in mind J&J requires doctors to use a certain number of bands on their website, I hate to say this but there are many surgeons across the country who are switching patients who planned on the lapband to the Realize band and making up some bullshit excuse as to why he or she wants to switch when the real reason is so they get on the website. Remeber its health for you, business for the surgeon.

Again DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION - DO NOT LET SOMEONE ELSE DECIDE WHAT GOES IN YOUR BODY

A note for all future banders considering surgery....DO NOT LET YOUR SURGEON SWITCH BANDS ON YOU AT THE LAST MINUTE!! ITS GOING IN YOUR BODY, NOT HIS OR HERS. YOU MAKE THAT DECISION.

I agree with this. I would want more information regarding the surgeons reasons for the last minute switch. The surgeon should have probably said that I prefer placing the Realize bands for such and so reasons, do you have a preference?

Please keep in mind J&J requires doctors to use a certain number of bands on their website, I hate to say this but there are many surgeons across the country who are switching patients who planned on the lapband to the Realize band and making up some bullshit excuse as to why he or she wants to switch when the real reason is so they get on the website. Remeber its health for you, business for the surgeon.

Placing the Lapband is still business for the surgeon even if it is not the Realize band.

I would think that most surgeons who plan on placing medical devices are concerned more about results and safety than getting their name on a website. It is their careers on the line, not to mention malpractice insurance soars ever skyward when you have claims - so placing bad products is bad business indeed . . . some doctors don't have the best bedside manner, but lack of intelligence doesn't get you through medical school.

As far as I know, they still are not giving out medical licenses in cracker jack boxes.

The lapband ports do not puncture...that's a ridiculous statement and theres no way any surgeon in the world can make a statement on a product after using it 7 times as compared to hundreds of lapbands.

Are you just trying to make the poster feel bad with this statement? If I had to guess, that the surgeon was probably trying to put differences in laymens terms and the purpose of any port is to be accessed.

If a surgeon is stupid for making any statement on a product that they placed seven times . . . all I can say is that you are making these statements, how many Realize bands have you placed??? If you have personally placed less than seven, does that make you stupid for making statements???

Again DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION - DO NOT LET SOMEONE ELSE DECIDE WHAT GOES IN YOUR BODY

Somehow, I get the feeling that you would like to decide for all of us. It is the sanctimonious Realize bashing that is getting hard to swallow after a gazillion posts.

Research is definitely important and anyone who gets a band without doing their own research should not have a band. You have valid points and I appreciate your posts stating objectively what the research has shown.

But please, don't go out of your way to try to make people feel stupid for choosing the J & J Realize band.

I have the Realize band, have lost 100% of my excess weight, have been lucky enough not to have any significant complications, and I feel very lucky indeed to have my band. My results may not be typical, but I am nonetheless pleased with them. I probably would have had good results with the Lapband as well but I am not ashamed of my choice.

I absolutely in no way want the poster to feel band. I do however want the people considering surgery to be aware if that happens and to question why. Again it's your body - YOU DECIDE WHAT GETS IMPLANTED IN IT _ NOT SOMEONE ELSE

You can't sue anyone once you sign the release form.

I have seen quite a few placed...

The point I am making is according to the post the doctor "just put in 7" so there would be no logical way for him to say its less or more than anything else because there hasnt been enough time for him or her to make a fair comparison. Im not trying to make people feel stupid. I just want people to be aware of all the facts before making a decision. It doesn't seem like all the docs are stating the all the facts and that's not fair for someone who doesn't know and is putting their trust in their doctor.

We need to help the people considering surgery decide whats right for them, weather its the lapband or the realize band patients are entitled to know the whole story and not be used a guinea pigs.

You look awesome by the way..congrats on yourweight loss

My doctor...sat & explained both bands & said he had seen great results with both.. But that it was up to me to decide wich one I wanted. I did pick REALIZE because of the on line support & also felt that the structure on it was softer on the port & the band. I got to touch & feel both.I thought the port on the lap was harder & bigger & I didnt want to be feeling it once it was inside me.

Its only been a month for me but Im down 10 pounds. I'm happy with my results so far...& I feel good...that's what matters I think...

People should not choose an implant because of the website the company has. That should not even be in condsideration when choosing an implant. They could shut the website down tomorrow, but your implant is for life.

You cannot feel either band once its inside you.

Congrats on your weight loss- you're off to a great start! 10 pounds in a month is awesome! Keep it up!!!

Congratulations, Mariposita. You're off to such a great start. I chose the Realize Band for many of the reasons you did, and so far I couldn't be happier. I'm sure I would have done just as well with the Lap Band, but I liked the way the size, shape, and the attachment hooks on the port of the Realize Band. The fill area of the Realize Band was also softer, which, for me, was important. I'm glad the online support has been helpful for you. I have to admit I haven't used it yet, but I've heard that it's a great site, and very useful in keeping track of meals and weight loss. Since I've heard so many people praise the online support, I'm going to register this weekend.

I'm also sure I would have been just as happy with the Lap Band. My doctor is in the top of his field in the Richmond, VA area for gastric banding, has placed hundreds of bands, and his office is a Bariatric Center of Excellence. His reputation is top notch. When discussing to the two bands, he said the choice was mine, because his patients have the same success with both brands of bands.

Yes...the site is cool.. I just started using it. They have alot of recipes & monotoring tools. My doctor is one of the best here in So.Cal. & he feels highly about both bands I think that its mainly the way you use it to help you. As well as the food choices you make...

Kiz, who's your doctor? I had Dr. Brengman at Richmond Surgical and I LOVE him!

Congrats on your weightloss. You're almost 1/2 way there!

Thanks, Suzanne. Congratulations to you!! You're almost to goal.

Yep, I go to Dr. Brengman. He's such a good doctor and very personable too. I feel very fortunate.