Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realize band vs. Lap band

He is a sweetie. I'm 100% happy with him. I'm going to see Erin on the 13th for followup. I like her too and hear that she's really good with fills.

Erin has done two of my fills, and she hit the spot on the first try each time. I'm really surprised at how quick and easy the fills are.

And to the topic of this thread, if anyone is wondering how the fills are with a low profile port, I've not had any problems. I have had five fills, and each one has been right on the mark with the first try.

Edited by kiz

Well, I would just like to thank all of you for this thread, as I am having surgery this Friday. I am a bit nervous and excited, and have decided on using the Realize Band after talking with the Surgeon and he said basically what you all said. I went a year ago to another seminar here for the LapBand and ended up not going through with it due to not really feeling comfortable with the whole process, the band and the surgeon. With the surgeon I am going to now, and his staff, and just the way that the Realize Band was explained to me, I am more comfortable and am looking forward to a new body. I do find it interesting reading all of your posts and seeing all of the different ways that each of your have experienced the Realize Band. I just hope that I will have success.

Welcome to LBT, conztantybuzy. (great screen name!!)

I also have the Realize Band, and I would never knock the Lap Band, I think they're both amazing tools. I had to go with one or the other, and after researching, the RB came out on top - for me - but that's not to say I wouldn't be thrilled to have either band. My quality of life has already improved dramatically.

Good luck to you!!!

When I was in for an appointment last week I asked my surgeon about the Realize band. He says he doesn't plan to use it and feels it's inferior to the Allergan band. He said the new Realize band is better made that the last one but he still feels both the design and materials of the Realize aren't up to the quality of the Allergan.

He's probably got a bias since he uses the Lap Band brand and is comfortable with it. But I thought I'd post his opinion for whatever it's worth.

Britt

Well that is your doctor's opinion, and if you agree then it is your choice. I made my choice and have the Realize Band and I have now lost 21 pounds in 4 weeks (Surgery Date was February 13), and am eating food without any problem, and haven't had any problems with throwing up and over eating and the only week where I felt any real discomfort was the first week after surgery, which I think any would feel with either band. So it is up to you as to what you would like, and as I had said before, if you agree, then you are set. If you don't agree, then you can talk to another doctor about a second opinion.

url%5D

Edited by conztantlybuzy

Hey guys I have to say first that am sure both bands are good choices and have the same results. I did go for the Realize Band because of the way they place the band the band goes around and then stiched in place has a reputation of less band slip. Also the port is smaller easier to get to for fills per some pros. My doctor did not lean to one or other. My surgery is April 13,09 so we will see. Good luck to everyone with any band they choose.

Taina good luck on your surgery. I am scheduled for my 2nd fill next week, and I am eating regular foods now and have lost around 28 pounds....I'll find out for sure on his scale next Tuesday. I am very comfortable with my Realize band and had no problems with my first fill and no pain at all. I have been able to eat a variety of foods and still lose weight...and am able to enjoy life.

conz-

did you have any restriction after you got your surgery before you got your first fill? Also, how much was your first fill?

I had the lapband previously and I had restriction after surgery but now that I have the realize band I have no restriction at all. My first fill is scheduled for 4/24 so I am pretty excited about that!

As far as restrictions, do you mean food restrictions? Basically, there were food restrictions, but from what I have heard, they were not as restrictive as some others I have heard. I was eating egg beaters, Tomato or split pea Soup, yogurt by week two, and by week three I was adding on more like cream of wheat and oatmeal, and by week's end...soft fish but that was my experience with my doctor. I am going to have my 2nd fill this Wednesday, and I just weighed myself, and I have lost 29-30 lbs...(not a digital scale). Regarding any food I eat now, its basically anything but in moderate portions, I just make sure that I chew well, and eat slowly.

As far as knowing how much my fill was, my doctor doesn't tell me as he doesn't like his patients to get "hung up" on how much each fill is, and now that I am going in for my second and have read a lot of these message boards and see how many people talk about "how much their fills are" I can see that people do get hung up on that so...I guess I kind of agree with him. He knows and writes in down, and that's good with me, as he is concerned with the weight numbers either. He wants to know what I am eating and how I feel and what I am doing to feel better. To him, this is about the health issue, and not necessarily the numbers...as they will come along with the rest, but too many of us get caught up in the "numbers game" and get off the idea that we are going to be doing this the rest of our lives, so what we really need to do is change our eating patterns and how we look at how we see food and exercise. I will tell you, though...getting your first fill is weird, and an unusual experience...its doesn't hurt, its just a weird experience.

Edited by conztantlybuzy

My husband and I got banded on 03/24/09. Our dr. went over the two bands and said that there's not much difference between the two. I think they said the lapband can hold more cc's- not 100% sure about that- but I remember that one can hold more than the other. Our Dr. said that he would make the decision when he's in surgery as to which one would be better for us UNLESS we preferred one over the other. We didn't have a preference- so I found out at my pre-op last Wednesday that I got the Realize and my hubby got the LapBand.

So far I feel like I get full a little faster than before - but other than that I have no restriction. I can eat solids no problem. My hubby is the same. We both found that we can eat solids no problem after the second week.

So far, no difference. We'll see after the first fill. Which is May 8th.

My doc used the Realize Band on me. He's done band surgeries for over 5 years as his primary speciality. My realize band is "second generation". He said he was not comfortable with the first generation bands. He admitted that there is not much difference between my band and the lap band of the same size. He said they also have another size lap band they use for much larger people. He said the bands were basically like coke and pepsi and the only real advantage to the Realize band is that the profile of the port is 3mm shallower than the Lap Band, something you won't notice until you get very thin. He then placed my hand on HIS port from his lapband and I could feel it.

In the end I think they are probably the same. They look the same.

Congrat on your weight lost u r doing great!m

Taina good luck on your surgery. I am scheduled for my 2nd fill next week, and I am eating regular foods now and have lost around 28 pounds....I'll find out for sure on his scale next Tuesday. I am very comfortable with my Realize band and had no problems with my first fill and no pain at all. I have been able to eat a variety of foods and still lose weight...and am able to enjoy life.

I've been reading many posts lately from members wondering about the differences between the Realize Band and LAP-BAND System.

My first suggestion to these members is to contact their surgeon and ask them to explain their level of experience with each band and what the differences are for the bands.

I'd like to reiterate that both bands offer great online support programs and for more information on the differences, check out:

http://www.lapband.com/get_informed/obesity_weight_loss/lapband_realizeband/ .

I'd like to point out that there are two LAP-BAND sizes and two ports for the surgeon to select the best option for each patient. There seems to be some confusion and talk about the Realize Band port been slimmer—the 1mm is negligible—good marketing perhaps but definitely not something I'd base my decision on.

I've also read a few posts stating there is more online support for patients with the Realize Band. Allergan provides My LAP-BAND® Journey with the FitDay™ food diary, health comorbidity trackers, appointment reminders, goal tracker, weight tracker and the LAP-BAND® friendly Recipe Box free of charge for anybody that's had the LAP-BAND procedure.

I'd also like to clarify misinformation — the Realize Band being smooth vs. the LAP-BAND System pillows is not a benefit. The pillows are 3rd generation technology and were designed to eliminate crease folds that can cause leaks requiring re-operation and enhance performance. You can see a more detailed comparison at http://www.lapband.com/get_informed/obesity_weight_loss/lapband_realizeband/ or you can read about the differences below:

LAP-BAND AP® System

Allergan has patented the 360° OMNIFORM technology (soft pillow-like sections for evenly distributed pressure), which is the most advanced technology.

The 7 pre-curved, pillow-like sections embrace the stomach with a natural shape for evenly distributed soft pressure, which provides band stability, reliable restriction, and the ability to personalize your adjustments to control food portion sizes for optimal weight loss.

REALIZE-C Band

REALIZE-C Band is 1 long tube-shaped balloon that may “kink” like a rubber hose when filled with higher levels of saline (see photo above). This “kinking” is called a crease-fold. It is possible that over time this may cause the band to leak saline, which may require an operation to replace the band.