Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Science and "Art" of Weight Loss - Buyer Beware

I have been reading various threads from people who say that they feel they got their lap band under false pretences. The general theme is that they were told they wouldn't need to diet after the surgery and that they could eat everything they ate pre-surgery, but that the band would make them eat less. They also thought that the band would force them to stop eating bread and sweets. Now, post surgery they are not losing weight and are feeling "sold up the river" because they still have to watch what they eat or they won't lose weight.

I have to say GET REAL PEOPLE- you were probably not given inaccurate information, rather you have decided to interpret it in your own way.

The science of the day indicates that in order to lose one pound of fat, you need to use 3500 calories more than you take in (this is the current science and you can choose to not agree, but until something else comes along, it is the prevailing wisdom). Science also says that the average woman needs 1800 calories per day just to maintain her current weight (those of us who are much more than average need more calories). Given this information, in order to lose 1 pound per week, this average woman would need to cut out 500 calories per day and eat only 1300 calories per day.

OK - now think about us. I think that we generally accept that we are obese because we eat too much (quantity) and some of us make the choice to eat high fat and/or high calorie foods (quality) rather than vegetables, fruit and lean Protein.

So now I have had the lap band and I think I only need to eat less of the same stuff as before and I will still be losing 5 pounds a week. How did I get to be the weight where I needed the surgery? Have I hisotorically been gaining weight every year? Have I been maintaining my very unhealthy weight every year? As I answer these questions for myself, I need to then ask the following question. If I only eat less of the foods that made me fat in the first place, how will I be able to cut out 500 calories EVERY SINGLE DAY in order to even lose 1 pound every week?

Just think about it, in order for me to lose 1 pound a week I would need to cut out the equivalent of a Big Mac (or 9 oz of boneless skinless chicken breast) out of my current diet every single day. I don't know about you, but even with the lap band, that is a lot of food to NOT eat every single day in order to lose 1 pound.

When I looked at my pre-surgery diet, I don't seen how I could eat the same things, only less of them, and still lose weight reasonably. I think the amount of restriction you have (or don't) will help, but that still means eating a LOT less. I currently have 6 cc's in my 10 cc band, and don't feel a great deal of restriction, although I am satisfied on much less and find myself less hungry (surgery did not stop my "head hunger" though:eek:).

I think that there are people who have been banded and who have been very successful and have said that they don't diet and don't count calories. I think if you really talked to them though, you would find that the food they choose to eat is of very high quality, generally lean, and of small quantities.

As people have said over and over and over again in this forum, everyone has different abilities to tolerate foods - and some of us (including myself so far) can eat anything. The other message to get before surgery is that "junk" food (candy, cake, ice cream and potato chips) invariably are still edible after the band. Please do not make the decision to get the lap band because it will stop you from eating some things, because you just can't count on it!

You are right on with this. Our band is just a tool. We have to do the work. Everyone IS different but I think the common bond is we were all overweight and we all need to learn what made us that way and find ways to help our band help ourselves. That will be different for many of us. I will say that it is easier with the band than without. I haven't found my sweet spot yet so I am doing alot of my weight loss on my own but I think that all the classes (nutrition and behavior) have helped me out alot. We all want a magic pill but the reality is that we need to be our own magic pill. I thank you for your post. It really brings things into perspective . Everyone has and will have moments of weakness, but lets use what we have learned through our mistakes to succeed. We made it this far. Lets keep going.

Bekkie

I agree with you to an extent.

I know *FOR ME* that I got fat not only eating the wrong things .. but also TOO MUCH of the wrong things. (coupled with lack of exercise = fat me)

I was very honest with my PCP, my surgeon, my nutritionist, the psychiatrist (that I continue to see on my own) and myself.

I know that diets have failed me in the past - so I refused to go into this with a "diet" mentality.

I *WILL* eat what I want - just in moderation. I have chosen to use my band to help me live "inclusively" with the "eating" world around me - instead of worrying about what I can/can not have.

NOW - that does NOT mean that I'm having McDonald's for every meal (like I used to) - or even that I'm having 3 burgers in a sitting (like I used to) ... but it does mean that the day that I wanted a burger - I went and got one. JUST ONE.

By doing that, I satisfied the "craving" - and still managed to "cut" my portion to a 'reasonable' / 'moderate' amount.

The skinny people around me all eat pizza, chips, cake, burgers, etc - but they eat ONE slice not 1/2 a pie - AND they don't eat it every day or 3x a day.

I now "watch" what I eat during the day at work - and allow myself to have whatever I want for dinner (my dinner is a 4pm) within moderation. I don't feel "deprived" and honestly KNOW that I can live like this for good.

I've managed to stay under 1300 calories / day - and am still losing - granted, I'm losing a lot slower than others, but I'm ok with that. (I'm also not exercising, yet).

My dinners will usually be grilled chicken and whole wheat Pasta, grilled chicken caesar salads (with 'full fat' dressing AND croutons), grilled chicken and vegetables, tuna salad (with low fat mayo, not fat free) and a 'serving' of wheat-thins (16 crackers) etc - but when I want a slice of pizza, I have it ... and have yet to feel guilty about it :welldoneclap:

I think we all have to do what is right for us - and for me losing a little more slowly than others while eating what I want - is just fine :wink:

I agree with you totally Mrs. Smartie Pants. If I want a cookie (or several - but not the whole package anymore :welldoneclap:) or a piece of pizza I will have it. My reaction was to the people who keep writing that they feel deceived by their WLC/ doctor as they had the impression that they should be able to eat everything they want and that it is/was up to the lap band to stop them or restrain them.

I want people to be informed before they get the band that it is totally up to them what happens after banding. The band is a great tool, but it doesn't change our personalities or solve our issues for us. The band also doesn't erase the "math" of what it takes to actually lose weight -which is simply that we MUST eat less calories than we expend. Just having the band will not cause weight loss (I wish).

To me that means being accountable by documenting everything I eat, so I can ensure that I am not eating "mindlessly" and by trying to chose "quality" foods about 80% of the time. Even when I chose to eat "junk", I am trying (not always succeeding) to go for quality junk (i.e. really good dark chocolate or homemade baking versus the packaged stuff from the supermarket that is full of fat, sugar and preservatives).

I am also enjoying experimenting with newer foods (vegetarian, edamame beans) for the first time in a very long time, and am discovering that good for me foods can actually taste good). Now I just need to convince myself that I like fish :wink:.

My committment and promise when I started this latest journey was to do all the work necessay to help myself and to value myself. I am very proud of what I have achieved so far and for the first time in my life I know that I can be successful long term.

We all face our individual journey and no-one is right or has the magic answer (or the one size fits all that I am determined to fit into at some point). I just ask that people try to be as realistic as possible and as prepared as possible, before going to the pain and the expense of the lap band surgery.

I am in total agreement with you, jj. The commonality word to be used with the (Lap Band) tool is DISCIPLINE.

Our bodies were controlled by head hunger and our Portion Control was askew severely!! With the tool, we get to have a new perspective into the foods we eat--and we actually have to eat s-l-o-w-l-y!

I have actually found that there are foods I thought I LOVED before that through eating slower, I find I dislike now!! Amazing! (I'm still with you on the fish though...oooouuuooouuu!)

My battle with head hunger continues, but I'm happy to say that most days I WIN that battle and I thank my tool for helping me really feel terrific every day of my life! :welldoneclap: