Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

starting BMI over 50? come on in!

you asked about hormonal issues of weight. i have hypothyroidism, and a slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow metabolism.

i wanted gb or the sleeve because of the rapid weight loss. i wasn't eligible for either one because i have celiac disease (i can't eat anything with wheat, oats, barley or rye--anything with gluten).

because i wasn't eligible, i embraced the option that i was eligible for--the band. so far, it's been good. the recovery is much quicker. normal activity returns quickly.

my family is thrilled that i chose the band over gb because of the reduced complications. they're also about as supportive as a woman could want.

that's how i chose. btw, i'm self-pay.

Those of you who started with BMI over 50 or have a BMI over 50, do you feel like you made the right choice with banding rather than RNY or DS or other more invasive surgery? I am starting with a BMI around 59 but I think I'll be somewhere around 55 when I get my band. I am 29, healthy other than borderline BP and PCOS, and I like to exercise. I haven't been too diligent about exercise in the past few months due to a back injury, but I am getting back into it slowly but surely.

My starting BMI was a hair under 64. Started pre-op diet in May 07, lost 18lb prior to surgery (7/20/07). Now down a total of 65 lb since first pre-op appt. Absolutely know I made the right choice. I almost went with the RNY because I wanted to lose FAST! But after careful consideration and a lot of research, realized that was a poor reason to make that choice. I had lots of co-moribidiites.. BP, sleep apnea, arthritic joints, high cholesterol. Everything under better control now and improving all the time. EXERCISE is KEY!!

I went to a new endocrinologist today and while she didn't shoot down banding 100%, she did say she would not want me to get a band and end up revising to RNY if I could avoid it. (Obviously I feel the same.) I can tell she leans toward RNY for sure but I'm not sure if that's due to her seeing more RNY successes or what.

From what I've read, RNY patients lose faster at first, but at about the 2 year point.... about the same weight loss as us BANDITS!!

My main issues are that I eat a fairly healthy diet, plenty of Protein, veggies and fruit but toooooooo much of everything, especially starches and butter, which I'll have to learn to live without - or at least without so much! I also battle sugar cravings but I've been detoxing from that for a while and I finally am at a point where I don't miss it much.

Yes, PORTION CONTROL... was my biggest problem, too. Doing very well with that now, and don't miss sugar at all! In fact, if given a choice, I want my healthy food instead!

I worry because I've seen a few study abstracts on PubMed that indicate bigger bandsters don't tend to lose as much, although I have also read some that say we lose the same percentage of excess weight so I don't know what to think! I'm also at a clinic where the nurse said banded people tend to lose as much eventually as RNY and they have a great follow-up program. She said their average excess weight lost for both surgeries is around 80%.

Anyway, I'm wondering for those of you who started at BMI over 50 - if you don't mind rehashing for the 100th time, do you have any hormonal issues that contribute to excess weight? Do you feel you are making adequate progress and that you'll be able to keep your weight off better than in diet attempts you might have made before? You know, all that stuff. :glare: I appreciate your input. I still feel like the band is for me but I want to know as much as possible. Right now I'm on the 1500 calorie plan the clinic gave me and feeling OK on it. I'm shocked that it actually feels easy for once but I could just be really motivated this time around!

I'm too old for "hormonal issues"!!

Hope this helps.

I was very glad to find this thread... didn't know what happened to the old one, but stumbled on this one today!

Been a while since I have been on here. How are you all doing? I am doing well. I am just over 3 months out from surgery and total weight loss since surgery is 20.5 lbs. I had to wait 3 extra weeks to get my first fill since my Dr.was hurt and out of clinic for a few weeks. I was suppossed to get it by 12/19 and didn't get it until 1/7; so I just got my second fill this week...

WOW how aweful that was!!! I was so nervous on my first fill and he was in and out in a snap...didn't even hurt.

So this time I went by myself thinking it should be a breeze. Well it wasn't!!! My port was not cooperating with the DR. and he tried for about 15 minutes before taking me downstairs to do it under flouroscopy. Not a big deal then. He couldn't figure out what the problem was because when he saw it under x-ray it was in the perfect spot. Oh well, he said we shouldn't have any more problems in the future...I'm praying for that one!

Dear Zannie,

I love your pictures! You are such a pretty young lady. I am 5'1", weighed 308 in November, and wear a size 32, so I feel like I can understand where your journey began. And you have done so well!! Don't let the holiday setback get you down. Don't look back -- look forward! I'm trying to lose 40 pounds so that I can have surgery, and I am looking up to people like you who have lost weight. You are my inspiration and my hope. Consider today as the first day of a new journey, just like you did when you were first banded. Fill yourself up with the desire to succeed, get back on the "band" wagon, and go forward. You can do it! You are over halfway to your goal! Good luck and keep us informed.

Dear Zannie,

I love your pictures! You are such a pretty young lady. I am 5'1", weighed 308 in November, and wear a size 32, so I feel like I can understand where your journey began. And you have done so well!! Don't let the holiday setback get you down. Don't look back -- look forward! I'm trying to lose 40 pounds so that I can have surgery, and I am looking up to people like you who have lost weight. You are my inspiration and my hope. Consider today as the first day of a new journey, just like you did when you were first banded. Fill yourself up with the desire to succeed, get back on the "band" wagon, and go forward. You can do it! You are over halfway to your goal! Good luck and keep us informed.

I started out just about where you are.. well, i'm 5 ft tall, first weigh in was 326.6! Lost down to 308 on pre-op diet. I'm doing really well... slow but steady progress! You can do it!! Best of luck to you!

I am glad I have the band...BUT I need a fill. I am waiting to hear from my Dr as to when I can get a fill. I am excercising like crazy and not losing any weight. I am actualy gaining back some of what I lost. I am sure some of it is Water weight but DAMN I am so frustrated. I had one bad week and BAMN I am almost back where I started. This is really starting to piss me off.

I do love my band dont get me wrong. I eat less then I used to. But not as litttle as I should

Hi all! I have not been banded yet. I'm just in the beginning stages of getting insurance approval. I already checked with the insurance company and they will cover this surgery. I am with Blue Cross Blue Shield. I have been reading alot of the posts here but I like this one since my starting BMI is 52.5. I will make sure that I come back often to check on how everyone is doing and let everyone know when I will finally get my band. I can hardly "weight"..:smile2:

Olga

I am glad I have the band...BUT I need a fill. I am waiting to hear from my Dr as to when I can get a fill. I am excercising like crazy and not losing any weight. I am actualy gaining back some of what I lost. I am sure some of it is Water weight but DAMN I am so frustrated. I had one bad week and BAMN I am almost back where I started. This is really starting to piss me off.

I do love my band dont get me wrong. I eat less then I used to. But not as litttle as I should

Cerrin, if your doctor's office is anything like mine, you'd best not wait for THEM to call YOU!! Have you had your first post-op appointment?? If I were you, I'd call them and make an appointment for a fill. It will probably take several fills before you get to a good place... three for me, and you need to get started. You should be more than ready for your first fill! I had to be very persistent, and sometimes insistent, to get my appointments.

Hi all! I have not been banded yet. I'm just in the beginning stages of getting insurance approval. I already checked with the insurance company and they will cover this surgery. I am with Blue Cross Blue Shield. I have been reading alot of the posts here but I like this one since my starting BMI is 52.5. I will make sure that I come back often to check on how everyone is doing and let everyone know when I will finally get my band. I can hardly "weight"..:smile2: Olga

Welcome, Olga! Glad to have you join our site!

I am calling them every day. It will be my 2nd fill. Everytime I call I get the run arround. "I have to get with the dr to approve of a fill and I will call you tomorrow." I am so tired of being told they will call me. I call back the next day because I never hear from them. GRRRR being in bander hell and being put off sucks. He only does Fluro fills on wednesday and I am trying to get an apt set up for the past week.

I am calling them every day. It will be my 2nd fill. Everytime I call I get the run arround. "I have to get with the dr to approve of a fill and I will call you tomorrow." I am so tired of being told they will call me. I call back the next day because I never hear from them. GRRRR being in bander hell and being put off sucks. He only does Fluro fills on wednesday and I am trying to get an apt set up for the past week.

I have had 6 fills-no unfills- I've never waited for them to call-or call back.

Good luck with getting the fills in. Restriction is really the key for me.

Keep us updated-

EVERYONE-keep posting!!

I have a question for someone...anyone who can answer...

I am having trouble eating since my last fill...and to think it was only my second fill ( I am at approx. 5.5 cc in a 10 cc band)

I am getting the calories in (mostly at night) but not the amount of Protein needed. When I look back in my food logs I am only taking in anywhere between 25 - 40 grams protein a day. It has been extremely hard especially since I seem to not be able to eat anything thicker than yogurt until sometime after 5 pm in the evening. Thank goodness I am up really really late since I work Swing Shift and don't go to bed each day until around 3am- 4am; but being up around 10 in the morning and not being able to eat much of anything until around 5pm-7pm is hard. I have tried everything I can think of... even most Protein Shakes are too much in the mornings.

Any suggestions???

I am having trouble eating since my last fill...and to think it was only my second fill ( I am at approx. 5.5 cc in a 10 cc band)

I am getting the calories in (mostly at night) but not the amount of Protein needed. When I look back in my food logs I am only taking in anywhere between 25 - 40 grams protein a day. It has been extremely hard especially since I seem to not be able to eat anything thicker than yogurt until sometime after 5 pm in the evening. Thank goodness I am up really really late since I work Swing Shift and don't go to bed each day until around 3am- 4am; but being up around 10 in the morning and not being able to eat much of anything until around 5pm-7pm is hard. I have tried everything I can think of... even most Protein Shakes are too much in the mornings.

Any suggestions???

:D Have you tried something warm in temperature? Cold shakes etc... tighten my band, and mostly early in the day. I have some great high protein (to get in extra), hot chocolate.

I think there are like 6 "flavors"- not just plain hot chocolate. I love them all, :tt2: Amaretto, raspberry, mocha, classic, mint, ... etc. If you don't know where to find some locally try.... healthyweightsupermarket in Springfield MO. I think they do shipping? :tt2: Good luck.

Any suggestions???

Have you tried starting with some warm liquid? ? Warm/hot Water, coffee, tea?? I've heard that helps.