Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another LapBand Clinic sprung up in T.O.!

I consulted with Dr. Yau 2 years before my consult with Dr. Cobourn. I was impressed with how well spoken he was and he didn't push me one way or the other as to having the band or the RNY. He did both and said he would do either on me. Took the time to explain pros and cons of both but in a very rushed manner. Dr. Cobourn was the opposite, very well spoken as well but he took all the time in the world to answer all my questions. I was impressed with both surgeons I met but just felt a lot more comfortable with Dr. Cobourn's demeanor and patience. I knew it was going to be better for me over the years and now that I'm over 2 years post op, I can say that I can still contact him anytime I want and he forgets nothing about me.

Fous you are definitely memorable! :biggrin: Yeah Dr. Cobourn thinks the world of you for sure! :rolleyes:

Now, I AM one person who has had complications... my band is leaking... I go for another Flouro fill Monday in Toronto. Dr. Yau will check the Fluid level in my band (this is the 2nd ck) he'll refill it... and then we'll book a re-surgery date from there...

I just want to get on with this w/Loss journey..... I am tired of waiting ...

..:rolleyes:

Oh Peaches. I am so sorry you are having these complicaitons. I lurked for a couple of months before I felt comfortable enough to post and as a result I kind of feel like I have gotten to know regular posters like yourself. If you are indeed leaking do you need a new band or just a new port?

Keep us posted and my thoughts and prayers will be with you. I am glad they are taking care of you.

To me, surgeons are fabulous at what they do but most have the PR skills of a do do bird. Doddie

Doddie thank you for the morning chuckle. You always have such a cute and entertaining way of expressing yourself and an upbeat look at life.

No question Dr. Cobourn and Dr. Yau are superior in our estimations. Probably why they are so successful in private business. But sincerely my advice is don't make the personality of the doctor your deciding factor. Look at their performance record in surgery, look at the after care offered by their clinics. The second most important research is to make sure there is availability of a fill nurse or doctor sponsored by the respective clinic near you. If you can't get a fill or defill quickly what is the point in using the clinic. For instance in my case, flying from BC to Toronto can not be considered a free fill. These days, more and more clinics are opening to do obesity surgury and individuals now have more choices than I did. I will say I have no regrets. My hardships have just strengthened my beliefs that what I did was the right thing. TLBC offers me support via the telephone and I use the web. They referred me to a surgeon out here that normally did not do fills for patients other than his own. But due to his connection with Dr. Yau he took me in. Now I am content. Good luck what ever your decision is. Doddie :)

If when comparing surgeons everything come up even I say personality does matter in my opinion. This is my second wls and I needed to have confidence that my surgeon would be not only extremely competent but his personality would allow him to take my concerns seriously and he was approachable. I find too many darn doctors are arrogant and condescending and I was damned if I would pay $16000 and not have a surgeon who had excellent people skills. My surgeon 21 yrs. ago was considered the best surgeon for weight loss and highly skilled. Turns out he was also under a psychiatrists care for stress, fantasizing about patients and had previous nervous breakdowns. Oh and it came out he had a previous sex charge he had plead guilty to before I had met him. All his surgery skill didn't mean a rat's ass when his license was later suspended for 5 years for sexual abuse with his patients. There went my aftercare for that surgery and when I talked to him about my medical file and where I could get a copy he was still as arrogant as before even after being found guilty.

Sorry if I went off on a tangent but as you can tell this still really bugs my butt. :) Oh did I mention that this guy has been the editor of a prestigious bariatric journal for years? :)

Hi Donna: A bad surgeon can have either a good or bad bedside manner. I never thought to do it, but one can go to the College and check out a doctor's background first. But a good bedside manner does not a good doctor make. Sorry we can agree to disagree on this one. Doddie

I don't think there's anything to agree to disagree on. Donna was simply stating that if 2 or 3 surgeons for that matter were all equal on every surgical aspect, she'd go with the surgeon with the personality. Surgically if all the same, then I'd want a personality as well. Banding requires far too much aftercare to have a surgeon that might we a wonderboi in the OR but an ass to deal with afterwards. And I'm not saying that any of the surgeons any of us have chosen are asses at all. It's a very generic statement.

Yes Doddie fous hit the nail on the head. I said if the surgeons were equally competent in all other areas such as skill, competence, reputation, experience THEN personality would tip the scales for me. I definitely agree with you about checking out all doctors on the College of Physicians site. I wish I had 21 years ago but I was 26 and naive. :)

Hi Donna. 21 years ago you did what you thought was correct, you couldn't be expected to think of everything. One thing about hindsight, it always seem to indicate we could have done better. For instance, I did not ensure my doctor would do fills, he said he would but he reneged. Seems there is an insurance issue. I thought I too had done everything right but ....... Doddie

Doddie I'm glad you are able to have a doctor do your fills now. Have you been to the support group in North Van.? My friend Barb from the sunshine coast has attended once or twice when her work schedule permits.

Hi: Yes, I am one of those few. There are 4 of us. Pat comes from Squamish so I really have no excuse for attending, as I live 5 minutes away from the Lions Gate Hospital where the meetings are. I really look forwart to them. The internet is a great place for support, but would never replace the face to face meetings and the fun we have all round. Sometimes the talk is serious other times we joke about the stigma attached to the band by the medical people and others. There is an article in the Vancouver Sun this morning about the major bias against the obese by the medical profession. I hope some doctors read it. It is an eye opener. For instance. 4 of 5 doctors admitted they do not like examining an obese person. Most admit to thinking their patients are lazy slobs and will not look further for complaints from the patient. So the psychological support I get from the others is so important. So to ramble, Donna but yes we are trying to expand our little group, but can't get any interest. Doddie

Hey Doddie I will see if I can pull up that article on the internet. I have a subscription for my mom in Gibsons for the Van. Sun so if I can't I will ask her to mail me it. Yes support groups in person are great that is why I started one for patients of my clinic in Mississauga. I even attend one in another city near here for all weight loss surgery people. In fact that is where I met my RNY buddy who is now my best friend.

Thanks for everyones insights. Hearing about peoples experiences has surely helped put me at ease.

I've read through this thread since it started and I had been in contact with Nisrine since December and all I can say is, it was a horrible experience. She takes forever to answer emails and even when she does, she avoids questions. I did email consultations with Dr. Padonou and it was just the opposite. Email him with as many questions as I wanted and never forgot to answer anything. If she is the same Nisrine that was at the other clinic, it's not much wonder she is gone, she is the most unprofessionl person I have dealt with. I even emailed the founder of CIBO and even he won't answer emails. I am so happy my DH convinced me not to go there. If this is how they treat potential new clients, what would they be like after I have given them $18000.