Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi, I am being banded next Tuesday and am so thankful for this site and all of you. I have been on here since November and have gained so much information form you guys. I am so scared this won't work. I know I am fat, but I don't think I eat badly. I don't eat all day, don't eat fast foods, don't drink my calories. I don't exercise alot, but I am on my feet at work, not a desk job. I am so afraid I will do this and still be fat. I tell the people I work with that is my biggest fear. Not the surgery, the failure if it doesn't work. I asked my Dr. at my pre op this week if he thinks this will work, and he said, "do you think it will work?" Did you guys fear failure before your surgery? I have been about 216 for years. I gain a few pounds, and loose a few. But nothing I seem to do makes much difference. I have gone to personal trainer 3x week before for 3 months. No weight change. So I think, why do it if it doesn't change anything. I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks. Diane

I went for a year or two trying to lose weight and had the 'no weight change' too. I saw a few pounds lose with the band surgery and a little after the first fill. Now on my second fill, the weight seems to slide off. I had a big problem with xmas and chocolates. I had to decide that it was up to me to say No to sweets and food that is bad for weight gain. The band keeps your portions down. When you are restricted you can eat a small amount before you are full and the full feeling lasts. Only then did I realize how much I was eating at a meal before the band.

The band gets rid of the hunger pains and that makes a BIG difference. I think you will see weight loss.

Hey Indio Girl!

I have enjoyed reading your posts. I also live in Indio- Indian Springs. Dr. Bobby is my guy sometime in Feb. insurance willing. I am really looking forward to it and although my metabolism may be somewhat lower in the 50's I am comitted to success!!!!!!

We should talk Dr. Bobby's office sometime. Interesting group there.

Workinonit - I just responded to your So Cali post - I live in Shadow Hills Area - northside of freeway - Starting in February they are having Lapband only support group - 2/4 - 3/4 - 4/1 - 5/6 - 6/3 Tues AT 6 pm at the Stergios bldg across the street from Dr Bobby's Office...

I was afaird that my metabolism would be real so too - but so far it's been ok - now i am hitting a platuea (sp) but heck 60 lbs gone in 6 months I am HAPPY...

Phyl - on this thread & part of the Lucky #7s (our monthly group) is a snowbird :) and lives in Sky Valley during the winter - we have met and she will be going to the group meeting in Feb - so maybe you can come too..

Welcome and look forward to you being part of our group...

Just want to say Hi and let you all know, I think this site and all of you are wonderful. I love the info available and love reading everyones posts. Today is my first day on Optifast and my surgery is scheduled for Jan 24th. I have been told to drink 6 a day. Does this sound about right. I am doing better than I thought I would. My biggest problem is given up the Diet Coke.

You guys have all done so good. :clap2:

Hope 6 months down the road I will be posting the same.

Dianne

Dallas :rolleyes

Diane , we can do this, You sound like me. My surgery is scheduled for Jan 24th. I keep telling myself this time is going to be different. I'm 56 and live in Dallas Tx.

Dianne

:help:Did any of you have to have an arterial blood gas drawn before surgery? If so, did it hurt? I am not looking forward to this, any words of wisdom?

This was the only bad experience from my surgery, but i blame it on the anesthesiologist more than the test itself. I have hard to find veins and the doctor as having trouble. Instead of asking for help, he kept on poking until I threatened to get up off the gurney and walk out. He finally got the idea I was getting agitated and called over a colleague who got it on the first try. The nurse did apologize saing that they would have given me a sedative, but did nt want to do so until my surgeon stopped b to talk to me first.

I have to say that once the other anesthesiologist did the trick, it really didn't hurt any more than a normal blood draw.

Workinonit - I just responded to your So Cali post - I live in Shadow Hills Area - northside of freeway - Starting in February they are having Lapband only support group - 2/4 - 3/4 - 4/1 - 5/6 - 6/3 Tues AT 6 pm at the Stergios bldg across the street from Dr Bobby's Office...

I was afaird that my metabolism would be real so too - but so far it's been ok - now i am hitting a platuea (sp) but heck 60 lbs gone in 6 months I am HAPPY...

Phyl - on this thread & part of the Lucky #7s (our monthly group) is a snowbird :) and lives in Sky Valley during the winter - we have met and she will be going to the group meeting in Feb - so maybe you can come too..

Welcome and look forward to you being part of our group...

Janet,

Is that meeting the first Tuesday or the first Monday because 2/4 is a Monday, the rest of the dates you gave are Tuesdays. I put that on my computer calendar so it will send me a reminder!

Don't know why but I've stopped getting emails of new posts! Wonder what's up with that.

Diane,

I never thought I'd be able to give up my Diet Coke. LOVE carbonated drinks... Diet Coke and we have a carbonator, so make our own carbonated Water, sometimes adding sugar free flavoring. Didn't know how I'd live without it, but I got through it just fine. Last week, I thought, since we have the carbonator and control the amount of carbonation, maybe I'd try making some. So, we did... DH added a little Crystal Lite powder to the first bottle. Well, the first bottle he blew up... literally! He used a cheap 1/2 gallon plastic bottle not designed to hold carbonated beverages and the thing exploded! You would've thought a bomb went off and we had orange carbonated Crystal Lite everywhere!! He ran for towels to soak it all up and his bottle was just blown apart! Kind of funny when the hysteria died down! Then he tried the right kind of bottle. But, I tell you, it just isn't the same anymore. For one thing, I'm a little afraid of it, so I found I was just sipping at it and not getting enough fluids in for that reason. So I am back to just plain Crystal Lite (Wal-Mart or Albertson brand) or just plain Water.

Once you get off of it, you'll find you can live without it quite nicely! Good luck!

Janet,

Is that meeting the first Tuesday or the first Monday because 2/4 is a Monday, the rest of the dates you gave are Tuesdays. I put that on my computer calendar so it will send me a reminder!

Don't know why but I've stopped getting emails of new posts! Wonder what's up with that.

MY BAD IT'S 2/5 NOT 2/4 - SEE I CAN'T TYPE OR PROOF READ :)

I Took that off - cuz my email was full all the time - so I just go to usercp - to see who has responded to theards i have posted too.

If you want email notice - go to the bottom above where it say submit reply...

Yeah, I've been having the same problem the past two days. I wondered why things were so quiet! Maybe a glitch that will be fixed soon. Hopefully!

Hi, I am being banded next Tuesday and am so thankful for this site and all of you. I have been on here since November and have gained so much information form you guys. I am so scared this won't work. I know I am fat, but I don't think I eat badly. I don't eat all day, don't eat fast foods, don't drink my calories. I don't exercise alot, but I am on my feet at work, not a desk job. I am so afraid I will do this and still be fat. I tell the people I work with that is my biggest fear. Not the surgery, the failure if it doesn't work. I asked my Dr. at my pre op this week if he thinks this will work, and he said, "do you think it will work?" Did you guys fear failure before your surgery? I have been about 216 for years. I gain a few pounds, and loose a few. But nothing I seem to do makes much difference. I have gone to personal trainer 3x week before for 3 months. No weight change. So I think, why do it if it doesn't change anything. I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks. Diane

dianegoe, you and I could be twins. I don't eat all day long and I don't eat a lot of junk but I do know for my metabolism my portions are too large. This is the main reason I feel the band will work for me.

Also, when I went in for my ob-gyn checkup he said my weight was within one pound of my last visit - well, my last visit was nearly 4 years ago. I have gained and lost a lot in between but always seem to settle back at the same weight no matter what I do. I, too, am afraid the band won't work for me but I am praying it does. I just can't keep my eating under control for extended periods because I am hungry all the time and eventually cave in - that is where the band is supposed to help.

Good luck to you on your surgery.

have been about 216 for years. I gain a few pounds, and loose a few. But nothing I seem to do makes much difference. I have gone to personal trainer 3x week before for 3 months. No weight change. So I think, why do it if it doesn't change anything. I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks. Diane

Diane, you sound just like me. I was exercising for 3 years 6 days a week and not losing anything. I would gain over the weekend and lose that during the week. I was so afraid the band wouldn't work for me.

You do have to exercise. The band makes it so you aren't as hungry and

you are able to eat tiny portions. It's really important to get the fills though. Every time you lose, the fat around the stomach goes away, and the band gets loose. Then you feel like you don't have a band and can eat more, and also eat more junk. When you have the right restriction, you won't be able to eat bread or pizza. You can only eat a small amount so you have to eat Protein and veggies.

I hope that helps. I had months where I didn't lose then all of a sudden, I would drop 5 lbs. The band will work if you follow all the rules.

Thanks for all the encouraging words. I just hope by eating smaller portions I will loose, because I'm not too much of a snacker. Hopefully with the band, exercise and all the support I get from everyone here, it will work. I know I have to make it work. But I really want it to. It's something that I have struggled with all my life. I want to feel I finally have control over my weight, because if I don't, than who does? You are all so helpful and I know I will be asking lots more questions after I have the surgery next week. Thanks, Diane

Hi, all:

One of my good friends is getting banded tomorrow! She's in this age group so I hope she will join us in posting. It will be great having another buddy on this journey. I've just been banded 6 months but I feel like an expert when she calls to ask questions! So hold her in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow (her name is Linda).

dianegoe,

I don't remember fearing failure before my surgery but I did go through a couple of days of anxiety just before when I thought of giving up my comfort foods and making a permanent life change. I think it is good to examine all your emotions so when you take the step it will be with full commitment. I have no regrets. Good luck on Tuesday!

Marlena

Hi Iam 56 was banded Sept. 24 2007 HAD 3CC PUT IN OCT28 HADANOTHER 1CC PUT IN SEPT.12 ON THE WAY HOME i LIVE IN wACO tEXAS HAD SURGERY IN DALLASi STARTED HAVING TERRIBLE PAIN IN LOWER ABD. WAS CLOSER TO HOME SO WENT TOHOSPITAL HERE i DID NOT REALIZE THAT THE MINUTE YOU SAID YOU HAD LAB BAND THEY WOULD FREAK i HAD THE dR. IN EMERGENCY ROOM TO CALL Dr.who did my lap band and he told them he did not think it could be my lapband because of my systoms but they would not listen they tod me it had to be lapban and because I did not have it their no Dr. woud touch they did xrays and could noot find anything so after all the morphine they sent me home woke up 3am in pain again went back basically they said and did same thing. told me to go back to dallas tx went there 3 hour drive they told me could not be lapband because I had no restrriction but they took all the fill out. then they sent me to hospital because I looked so bad.when I got there they xrayed me and told me I HAD LOWER BOWEl :confused:obstruction had surgery in hospital 10 days went home 3days later pain again went back toemergency same thing except this time they xrayed me they said I had another obstruction put me in ambulance sent me back to Dallas because they did my first obstruction surg get to dallas my surgeon looked at my xrays that they took in Waco and said I didnt have obs was just gas and I stayed another 5 days so now its january 10 dont have any fill and now I am hungery the only good thing from all this is Istarted at 223 and now I am down to 175 hard way to lose I guess Ididnt realize that the minute you say lapbanb they quit looking for anything else am I the only person whose got an obstruction all the Dr said lapband had nothing to do with it but im scared to have it filled again .:help:Thank you for listening

Oh my, sawdust. That's quite a story. How scary for you! I haven't heard of this before but I've been banded less than a year so I'm no authority. Maybe you should look on the "lapband complications" threads and see if anyone has had similar problems. I hope you are feeling better and will be back on track with your band soon! Good luck to you.