Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

50 really bothered me. 30 and 40 were nothin'. I think because of the weight, it was getting to me. My feet, knees, hips, and back hurt. I am hoping that will get better after the weight loss.

My brain is 30, (except for the occasional memory "pauses") Oh, Hell, who am I kiddin' - I am 50 and working to be the best 50 I can be!

My grandchildren are my energy source!:incazzato:

I can offically join you group. From the sound of everyone's post, I am in good company.

Today is my 50th birthday. Although, my exciting news is my lap band surgery is July 16th.

I have read the good bad and ugly about the band and I am convienced this support group will be critical for my support.

My husband (by the way what does DH, DD stand for) is very supportive, as is the rest of my family, but there is nothing like living examples.

So welcome back to the returning folks and that's for allowing me to join in.:driving: I think I would rather be 30, but it has been a great life so far.:incazzato:

36_22_9.gifHappy Birthday Lyn and welcome to the board, I'm 55 and having the LB is the best thing I have ever done.

Fairly new to this myself, I find this board to be the best support you can find. Good luck, July 16th will be here before you know it..36_22_25.gif

36_22_26.gif Welcome to the board Judy, like lynnt1215 I'm also fairly new to the board, was banded 4/21/08 with my first fill tomorrow. I may not post as much as some but I find that what I read on this board is a comfort and big help to me these ladies know what we are all going thru and are here to support each other.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb113&pp=ZNfox000

Day 3 of the band for me. I haven't taken any pain pills today yet at all. It feels funny by my port though. Maybe it's just a new sensation that I'm not used to? It feels like it sticks out, but when I look in the mirror I don't see it much but can tell it's there.

Question for those a little further along than me: Did you experience a real growly stomach and diarrhea? I guess that should be expected considering I've had nothing but liquids now for almost a week.

I go for my post op visit on WEd. which is only 6 days out from surgery, usually it's 2 weeks at my surgeon's. But they are going to be closed and all going to some seminar in Washington DC.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Lynlyn, I am getting banded July 9th. Reading this thread has calmed my nerves about the surgery. All the the bandsters are so helpful. I am looking forward to sharing and caring with you and all the others that have joined.

Hi Kareyquilts....Welcome! Do you quilt? I am a newbie quilter....takes my mind off of food. I plan on using that tool too after I am banded.

Question. What are some the liquids I should buy for the first few days? My son drank Gatorade, but I haven't heard of anyone else drinking it.

Happy birthday Lynn, welcome to the fabulous fifties. I am okay with aging as long as I do it healthily. I am hoping to kick this overweight thing so I can be active as I age. I am going to be 59 this month so I am hoping that when I hit the big 60 next year I will be at goal weight. I was banded 5/12 and will have my first fill on 6/11. If I can just loose 5 lbs per month I will be very close to goal. Lets all just keep encouraging each other to goal. I will be here for you and i know you will there for me. Best wishes, Becky

Charlene,

You will find that people's preferences for protien vary widely. The best thing to do would be to go to GNC or some place similar and get a variety and start tasting them now. So that after surgery you can have plenty on hand that you like. I've not found a shake I like yet, and I don't like chocolate so for me the best bets have been the Isopure Protein Drinks, they are 40 grams in a 20 oz bottle. I've also heard folks refer to Isopure as Iso-puke, so not everyone likes it. Also I discovered at GNC Protein Shots. They are 3 oz test tube looking containers, come in a variety of flavors but have 42 gms per 3 oz. That's pretty good. Yesterday I had 1oz of it in the morning, one at noon, and one in the evening and I met my goal for Protein. The minimum the dr. office told me to get was 40gm a day, but they recommend 60+ and on liquids only for 5 days after surgery for me it's hard to get that much in.

Welcome to all the newbie bandsters :incazzato:

and Happy Birthday Lynlyn:huggie:

I wish you all the best of luck in your weightloss journeys. I for one have never regretted getting my lapband. I'm still not at my goal weight, but it's my own fault for straying from my eating and excersize plans. I'm back on track now and have dropped another 3 lbs. this week. :driving:

I agree with the protien drink advise...test different brands till you find some you like. I had found two types I really like over the last 2 yrs. but alas, they stopped making them and I have had to find something else. Everyones tastes are different.

I'll check in now and then and see how ya'll are doing! Joanie :sad:)

Thanks for the input. I am glad you are back on track. My son lost 120 in a year and then fell off the "bandwagon" and gained forty lbs back. He is back on track too. It definitely is not a fix. Just a tool to help us stay on track.

Best of luck to you on your surgery...it is a wonderful tool and one I plan on using to it's full potential.

I too am a newbie quilter...I'm not sure I can even be called a quilter, but I'm gonna give it a try, whenever I get the enthusiasm. haha!

Can't wait to hear how you do! Joanie :incazzato:)

As far as the Protein goes, I have heard that the body can't absorb more than 25 grams of protein at once.

I personally like the Atkins drinks. They are cheap and easy to find. They only come in chocolate and stawberry though. I did drink a lot of low carb slim fast in the beginning too, but I found them to be too sweet eventually.

Most people like Ungury but I am not good about ordering things online. Netrition.com has a lot of stuff and the good thing about them is that no matter how much you order, it's only 4.95 shipping.