Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Thanks girls for the advice about the heartburn. BTW it is gone today ---I coulda just waited. lol

The MRI is for my wrist. For about a year it has been very sore, swollen. hot to touch and has a bump on the side. Xrays show nothing is wrong so the Dr. has ignored it. (I guess I am Imagining it) Finally went to see an Orthopedist who ordered the MRI We shall see what happens.

Dr.'s are hard to come by where I am and since my Dr left town I just started seeing a nurse practioner.

Have a good night everyone:regular_smile:

Hi, I am Becky and new to this thread. Just discovered it. I am 53 and had my psych appt yesterday. I am expecting to have surgery within the next month or two. You are the person who is inspiring me. Have you had a hard time at all with this? Right now I just kind of feel blah all the time. I know I will feel better when I get this weight off but it is kind of scary to think about not getting to eat like summertime foods, etc. I dont know why I am kind of scared. Anyway you had the same BMI as me except I would like to loose 100 lbs. Just thought I would say hi. I hope when I get some weight off, i quit feeling so tired.

Becky (bochs)

Becky

Thanks so much for saying that I am inspiring you, that's quite a complement. Especially today - when I was a little down.

Ok we are the same age - I was 52 when I was banded 9 months ago - I have lost 85 lbs in those 8 months (this morning is only the 2nd time in all those months that the scale didn't move in a downward motion - that's why I was down early - but that has rectified it's self :rolleyes2: - but they haven't ever moved up either)

Prior to being banded I had just friggin given up on the whole diet trying to lose weight - had convinced myself I was happy at 244.5 size 22/24 tops 18/20 pants - that it was the person inside that counted.

My weight was limiting my life - I was sleeping my weekends away - I could barely walk the mall up and back without my feet killing me - just cleaning house (running the vacuum) i would break out in a sweat.

I have 3 grandkids (17 13 4) and I would like to seem them marry and maybe even some great grand kids - as you know when you turn 50 you realize that you have less yrs in front of you than whats behind you - so we want to extend the remaining yrs and being FAT we are shortening them.

I can tell you that I feel 10 yrs younger - have 110% more energy and look pretty damn good for a 53 yr old broad - (you can go back a few pages on this post and see my picture or go to the July 07 thread and look for thread labeled Brag Pic I think)

The band is the best darn thing that I have ever done for myself. It's a great tool but that's all it is - it's not the magic cure to our issues with food - To be successful with the band you still have to work - but the work is made easier by the band and having proper restriction and feeling full on a smaller amount of food.

This is a total lifetime lifestyle change in your eating - you can still eat your summer foods - the secret is budgeting your calories to include your treats - I make Xmas Cookies with GD's during the holidays - I allowed myself a few - I budgeted my calories and increased my exercise - trade offs - if you want that candy bar - be prepared to walk for 40 minutes to work off those 200 calorie :cry_smile:

Here is what I do - I keep a food diary - I count calories & Protein grams

I eat anywhere from 900 to 1200 calories in a day - I exercise 3-4 days a week (I have worked myself up to 3 miles on a 4-6 incline and now have a trainer at the gym - I was a total slug bug/couch potato before) - I eat low fat & sugar free 98% of the time - I follow a weight watcher type eating plan - I do have starches/carbs - but I do limit them - I usually have 1/2 cup of rice with dinner every nite - In the beginning i weight and measured all my food - but now I can say I know what 4 oz looks like - but if I am fixing something I m not sure of I will weight it.

I eat off of salad/sandwich plates - i use baby spoon and forks - I have a little bowl I got from Target that hold 1 cup.

My doc says that I am losing weight like a bypass patient - but I am really working this band and I do eat real food - - I am very motivated to get this weight off - I love shopping in the regular section at Macy's - I love having size 10 & 8s hanging in my closet..

If I can do this anyone can do this - it does take work - it does take will power - but it is so doable..

As far as being hungry - sometime but it's cut down to a whisper as shortgal would say - I can eat dinner and be full and still be looking for something to eat - it's all head hunger - they band our tummies and not our heads and 99% of the problem lies in our head..

I eat popcorn most every night for my evening snack.< /p>

Ok I wrote a book here - :confused: so If I missed something let me know.

But I haven't' eaten yet and I need to go cook - my brain is getting soggy here

Sharon - I was lucky I never gained between banding and my 1st fill

oh I back - just thought of this to tell you newbies

I still eat out - but instead of eating a taco enchilada rice & Beans and the whole thing of chips - I now eat just a few chips - 1/2 or 3/4 of my taco and a few bites of bean - I'm full - granted I don't do this daily but I do eat out about once a week to once every 2 weeks..

When out for dinner Saturday to Olive Garden - grilled shrimp & Pasta

ate 4-5 shrimp about 4 bites of the pasta and 1/2 cup of Soup mostly the broth as I wanted room for dinner..

Misty - Good luck on that mri...

Oh ya another thought - 100 lbs - ya to have a good bmi I need to lose 105 - but right now my goal is 160 - at our age imho we have the whole saggy skin issue even with out losing weight - which adds to it.. But that whole weight issue is personal - but I can tell you for the 1st time in my life - I finally am going to get to goal...

I LOVE MY BAND - I LOVE ME FOR DOING THE WORK

Denise is at goal - Phyl has lost 75lbs and she was banded in July like me - I think we are the only oldtimer on this thread anymore - but ask questions read read read - We will all give you our experience and we won't pull any punches - We are too old for play games...

And yes there can be complication - but what are the complication you are going to have from staying overweight - heck you can be driving to work tomorrow and get hit by a truck - is that going to stop you from going to work - this is life crap happens - it's a carp shoot if you are going to have complication - but the odds of you dieing from a heart attack - stroke etc are 10 fold than what could happen if you have a complication. For me it was worth the risk and if you follow the rules you better your chances of not having a complication...

OK off my soap box - I really gotta eat... as you can see I really do love my band and want every fat person I know to get it - I want everyone to be happy like me - and you will feel happier without all that excess weight that is dragging you down,..

I took it off. I decided I didn't like it. I lost 20 lbs on Atkins before I was banded, and 70 lbs with the band.

I may put something else in my signature line. I am thinking about what.

Thank you for your response to my earlier question. I am finding it hard to wait for things to start happening. Now that I have finally decided to have it done, it want it NOW. I was so scared before because of my age and medical conditions, that I would not survive surgery. I now know that most of my conditions will vastly improve and perhaps go away by losing weight with the help of the lap band. So I am very motivated, but the waiting is hard and I am afraid of gaining even more while I wait for the appts, psy eval, etc. Did all you have the same feelings? :rolleyes2: Thanks, BeverlyDiane

Hi, I am scheduled 05-12-08 for my first meeting. I am considering the Lap Band. It concerns me in reading your thread that you still feel hunger. I am an emotional eater and eat even when I do not feel hunger. I will be self-pay so I do not want to regret spending my retirement money, on the other hand, if I do not do something I will not be alive to enjoy retirement. Do you think the Lap Band is for me, or should I consider something else?:thumbup:

The LAP BAND will help you control PORTION size... it will not eliminate HEAD hunger or EMOTIONAL eation... That is a whole different kettle of fish!

You need to really be sure you want to do this, you will have to work on your Emotional Issues, ie boredom eating, stress eating.. poor choice of food eating.

You must school yourself in High Quality foods and eat them. Then the band will tell you when you are full.

BUT, please be aware that if you choose something like chocolate or JUNK food, it goes right thru the band... trust me on this...

You will still have to obstain from junk food, sugar etc.

Don't mean to be a bummer, but its what you need to know:rolleyes2:

Hi everyone, just wanted to share with you that I got my first fill this afternoon, yippee!! Hoping to feel some of the same restriction that I felt right after surgery 5 1/2 weeks ago. I'd lost 14 lbs since my last visit 4 weeks ago to the surgeon's office and he was very proud of me!! I've lost a total of 38 lbs since January and I can't be happier!! Well, just wanted to share that news, I need to go downstairs and get on my treadmill, I'll talk later.

just want to say without this site i may be having a tough time. I am doing great with Portion Control and even getting in some exercise. but never know if i have any restriction. I am so conscious of not ewating too much that I have not really given myself a chance to know if there is restriction. I am able to eat just over 1 cup of food now and go to my DR on 5/9. Guess she will decide if i get my fiest fill. I am still losoing 2# per weeks and have lost a total of 30# since January, and of that just about 15 is post op.. guess that is about average and I am happy.

Please give me some feed back as to if I am expecting too much too soon or on track

Thanks so much

Hi everyone, just wanted to share with you that I got my first fill this afternoon, yippee!! Hoping to feel some of the same restriction that I felt right after surgery 5 1/2 weeks ago. I'd lost 14 lbs since my last visit 4 weeks ago to the surgeon's office and he was very proud of me!! I've lost a total of 38 lbs since January and I can't be happier!! Well, just wanted to share that news, I need to go downstairs and get on my treadmill, I'll talk later.

Terri - You are doing great :unsure: - 14 lbs in 4 wks that 3.5 a week :sad:

Congratulations:biggrin2: - Good to hear you are exercising too :thumbup:

just want to say without this site i may be having a tough time. I am doing great with Portion Control and even getting in some exercise. but never know if i have any restriction. I am so conscious of not ewating too much that I have not really given myself a chance to know if there is restriction. I am able to eat just over 1 cup of food now and go to my DR on 5/9. Guess she will decide if i get my fiest fill. I am still losoing 2# per weeks and have lost a total of 30# since January, and of that just about 15 is post op.. guess that is about average and I am happy.

Please give me some feed back as to if I am expecting too much too soon or on track

Thanks so much

Lynn

I think I was eating like 1 to maybe 2 cups before my 1st fill

(1/2 c rice and 4 oz fish and one cup veggies )

I am a person who needs to feel full - so I eat until I have that full sensation..

My biggest problems still - is that I want to continue to eat even when I feel full. I do stop - but if there is still food on my plate or if I haven't eaten my veggies - (I am bad - I eat my Protein 1st then my startch then my veggies) i sort of feel (mentally) that I haven't eaten enough.

I hope you get what I am trying to say - I eat off of sandwich plate and a little one cup bowl.

Restriction (feeling it) is that full sensation - at least for me it is... Also feeling restriction will depend on the kinds of foods you are eating - hard Proteins or slider foods.

PROPS to you for the 15 lbs post op - yes you are doing wonderful :lol:

Both you and Teri should be very proud of yourselves - you ladies are doing a great job - I would say alot better than your younger counter parts. But we know that's cuz we are so much smarter than those young whipper snappers :lol::lol:

Keep up the good work ladies...:tt2:

I

Four days post op and I feel great.36_1_34.gif Well, alittle uncomfortable but in a good way. Little pain, alot of gas, port side sore,but other then that I feel I've done the right thing. Had to stay over night due to my insurance, but that was good cause I had a hard time breathing,36_19_3.gif so they gave me a few breathing treatments. Doc has me on full liquids for 3 weeks(pudding,cream of wheat, Soup, broth, ect.) not to bad then on to reqular food. Still not sleeping thru the nite, but each day gets better.7_11_116.gif

I'll check back later.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZNfox000

Hey Carol

Yep I ended up staying an extra night in the hospital cuz of the gas - really could have gone home around six but when the doc came to release me at noon - i was in too much pain to go home like that.

Port site hurts/discomfort really the longest - I think a week or 2 - I didn't wear anything tight around my waist - I did the 1st day back to work (day 6) but after that dresses..

I had 10 days full liquids then mushie then soft then regular - heck my diet is mostly soft now :

Just ck out the food thread for ideas ..

Glad to hear you survived :unsure: Welcome to Bandland...:thumbup:

Thanks for the cudo's Janet. I'm patting myself on the back right now too.

One thing I neglected to tell you guys was that I also saw my rheumatologist today and told him I had the lapband surgery, he was elated to hear that. On the downside, he told me that I would be better off using a recumbent bicycle to exercise or go to the pool instead of the doing my treadmill. However, he said that since it's helping me lose weight to keep doing what I'm doing, so on with the treadmill. I am thinking about buying the bicycle though so maybe I can alternate it with the treadmill to save my knees some wear and tear. I'll let you know if I decide to go that route, for now it's the treadmill. :w00t:

Thanks for the cudo's Janet. I'm patting myself on the back right now too.

One thing I neglected to tell you guys was that I also saw my rheumatologist today and told him I had the Lap Band surgery, he was elated to hear that. On the downside, he told me that I would be better off using a recumbent bicycle to exercise or go to the pool instead of the doing my treadmill. However, he said that since it's helping me lose weight to keep doing what I'm doing, so on with the treadmill. I am thinking about buying the bicycle though so maybe I can alternate it with the treadmill to save my knees some wear and tear. I'll let you know if I decide to go that route, for now it's the treadmill. :w00t:

Teri

How are your knees holding up on the treadmil?? I have gotten on the bikes at the gyms and omw - you don't burn as many calories on them as you do on the treadmil - BUT again I only had it on the easy level - you ride a mile and burn like 24 calories - you walk a mile its 100 calories on the easy level...

I am all about burning up those freakin calories - I now have my incline minimum 3 and increase up to 6... Burn caloires burn - that's my new motto...

Another 2.7 miles tonight. I feel great. There were 3 of us walking, all banders...we agreed that walking with someone else is so much easier than alone and being able to talk about what is or is not working for us and sharing in the SV & NSV. We plan on heading out again Sunday morning.

I haven't done any other types of exercise, but am happt with the walking. I have my exercise ball and will go an dbuy some resistance bands and gonna start working on my arms and mis section.....

Want to look my best for my nephew's wedding 5/18. fist time i have seen family since late January......

The positive comments from my co-workers are a definite NSV. I guess the word got out while I was out of work for thoise 3 weeks. That is ok. because that also gives me extra incentive o be on task with my eating at work!!!!!

Thinking positive +++++ each minute, each hour, each day is one more step to a healthier life.

It's a great day! A week ago I was asking for help to break a slump. I took the advice that I was given and increased my calories for a couple of days and then back to my usual. It Worked! I lost 3 pounds this week and I hit the 100# mark. I'm so thrilled. Now I'll focus on another mini goal, 9 pounds to onderland.

Thanks everyone.