Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i have a question about protein shakes

my nutritionist told me on friday to stay away from Protein Drinks because by the time you add everything in the calories add up. i have Protein Powder called (whey) and its 150 calories for one scoop then you add 1 cup of milk which is 115 calories and then i add a few strawberries which is 50 calories so the question i have is this too many calories if i use the shake as a meal? i wont get in the habit of this everyday but once in awhile when im home i would like to have one instead of eating the same thing all of the time. i do have low carb slimfast shakes that have 20 grams of Protein and 190 calories but it doesnt stay with me for long. the shakes that i make are thicker and make me full. also when i drink an instant carnation Breakfast in the morning it says to mix with 8oz of milk i have 16oz paper cups that ive been drinking instead ,is this bad? sometimes 8oz doesnt fill me up but the thing im worried about is if i drink the 16oz for breakfast this will be more calories so i need to be careful. the instant carnation breakfast works for me because it is quick and it usually fills me up until lunch.< /p>

andrea

I buy whey Protein that is 110 calories and use dried milk powder, nin fat, and that is 90 calories. My doc recommended trying fat free pudding powder or sugar free Jello powder to vary the flavor. I add flax oil and liquid vitamins to my protien shake. I keep it at or less than 200 calores and I view it ass a vehicle for missing nutrients than as a treat. My doc does, however, recomend 1 Protein Shake a day as long as I stay within calorie guidelines. Regular food is recommended over a protein shake, if possible.

I buy whey Protein isolate in belgian chocolate and chocolate malt flavors from Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, books, DVDs & more (with free shipping!).

But I can see that you are making a few mistakes: first, the Protein supplements I use taste GREAT just mixed in Water, so there's no added calories of skim milk--and trust me, they really DO taste good! Secondly, I have a protein shake mid-morning and mid-evening (just about the time I'm beginning to get hungry again) and I only mix it in with 6 ounces of Water. So if you're making large shakes, you're defeating the purpose. Sorry...

By the way, although the Slim Fast Lo Carb is an okay shake, I found another one at the above website called "Zoic" which only has 100 calories, much less fat, less carbs, and more protein. It isn't quite as rich, but a canned shake is a canned shake--good for convenience only!

Good luck to you...:)

Hello! Getting banded next month... Had my pre-op session with the dietician last week and she told me in no uncertain terms do not use Carnation Instant Breakfast because it contains too much sugar. I did not know what kind of dietician support you have, or they may have you on a different kind of plan- just trying to help!

Hope you are able to find a happy medium and Best Wishes on your journey!!

Ditto from me--Cookie's exactly right. My Bariatric Center's Pre-Op and Post-Op instructions specifically said no Carnation Instant Breakfast, Boost, or Ensure because of all of the carbs. Sorry again! :)

...also when i drink an instant carnation breakfast in the morning it says to mix with 8oz of milk i have 16oz paper cups that ive been drinking instead ,is this bad? sometimes 8oz doesnt fill me up but the thing im worried about is if i drink the 16oz for breakfast this will be more calories so i need to be careful. the instant carnation breakfast works for me because it is quick and it usually fills me up until lunch.

andrea

Hmmmm, you ask if drinking 16 oz instead of 8 oz is bad? Well, let's look at the nutrition info for CIB (chocolate Malt Flavor)

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 Packet (36 g)Amount Per ServingOne Packetwith 1 cup

Fat Free

Vit A & D MilkCalories130220Calories from Fat1015% Daily Value**Total Fat 1 g*2%2%Saturated Fat 0.5 g3%4%Trans Fat 0 gCholesterol < 5 mg1%2%Sodium 120 mg5%10%Potassium 260 mg7%19%Total Carbohydrate 27 g9%13%Dietary Fiber < 1 g3%3%Sugars 19 gProtein 5 g9%25%

Now DOUBLE those calories above. Then ask yourself if it's bad.

Yep, I think it's bad.

Your whey Protein (while good for you) is REALLY high in calories, and you mix it with milk? Eeeep! There are many others out there to try that do not need to be mixed with milk and are very filling. Adding Benefiber helps as well, so does using ice when mixing, to make it a richer shake.

The protein suggested above is a good option. As is the Matrix line.

CRAP!!! It looked right when I filled in the post box. DAMN! Okay, to summarize. One packt of CIB chocolate Malt is 130 calories alone. Mix it with one cup (8 fl oz) SKIM milk and it becomes 220 calories. Double that and you get 440 calories without fruit or anything added. That is a lot!

Ditto here again on the carbs sugar issue....... this is why I like those protien bullets that are like Jello shots ... they have 100 cal, 0carbs, 0 sugar, and 27g protein......... I can get them down pretty easy in the mornings.. (I really don't get hungry in the mornings anymore) I get mine at GNC, and mainly order online for the discount

I do however love a good glass of ice cold milk for a snack.. as a matter of fact I had one tonight to curb my evening hunger.... in my strict Atkins days.. I always passed on the milk, but truly my carbs are down so much now just because of the volume of what I eat.. that the milk carbs doesn't seem to hurt me.

I was told that it was better to eat your Protein, than to drink it, but if you need the extra, I use a Protein Shake that I get at costco, and it has 30 grams of protein, and very little in terms of carbs, or fat or calories. I use a shake in the morning, because I cannot eat anything in the AM, and I will use one sometimes in the afternoon as a snack, just to keep up on the protein, I used to use a protein powder and mix it with milk, cause the taste was horrible for me when I mixed it with Water, and the calories was too much. Thus the protein shake from Costco. Good Luck

thanks for the feedback. i guess i could use skim milk if i am going to use the whey Protein. i like the idea of protein bullets. you said that you can get them at GNC? ill have to try them. im in the habit of drinking sugar free carnation breakfast (60 calories) + milk because thats what the dietician had me on when i had surgery. i could eat eggs in the morning instead. i was also told that its better to eat protein than drink it so i will do that. i will resort to shakes once in a while ( for example when im at work and need something in between) the low carb slimfast is low in everything and high in protein but it doesnt really stay with me but i guess its something to have inbetween meals if im at work. i would have some wheat crackers or something but i was told not to snack in between meals just to drink.

andrea

My doc says we have to have two Protein drinks daily no matter what we eat, the one from costco? what is the name? wondered if it was any good cus its alot cheaper than the one I am using. Before the ten days before surgery diet i used lite soy milk and a bannna. I lost like twenty seven lbs in a month doing those. I heard that the fat free pudding powders add some oompf without all the cals, a tbs i think or less so it doesnt add that much. I added crystal lite to the vannilla ones the orange juice one? made it taste like an orange sickle

hope that helps

Jo Ann

Didn't know where or if to post this but I just went to Walgreens yesterday. They are having a great deal on Slimfast right now. It hasn't really been advertised well but if you buy 3 boxes of Slimfast (I prefer the Low-Carb) you get a $6 "Register Rewards"coupon off your next purchase at Walgreens. You also get a second Register Reward coupon for $5 from the same purchase because of another promotion going on where you get $5 for spending over $15 on Unilever products (which Slimfast is). Where I live the Slimfast is currently on sale for $18 for 3 boxes.

6.00 - Slimfast Low Carb

6.00 - Slimfast Low Carb

6.00 - Slimfast Low Carb

18.00 - Sub Total

1.36 - Tax

19.36 - Total

(6.00) - Register Reward for buying 3 Slimfast Products

(5.00) - Register Reward for spending over $15 on Unilever Products

$ 8.36 - Final Cost for 12 cans of Slimfast or 70 Cents per Can!

I think I will be crusin' all the different Walgreens near me tonight and buying them out of the Low-Carb Slimfast!

I have not been banded yet, but am just finishing my 6 month diet for insurance. I have been researching in the meantime, and my sister found some Protein drinks (canned like a soda) at Trader Joes called Worldwide. It is very low to zero in the bad stuff, only 1 or 2 sugars, and comes in 23 or 35g protein, and the usual vanilla/chocolate flavors. The web site promotes it as a sports drink, but someone on this site posted a link to Brigham Women's Hospital and I went there and printed out their entire Bariatric Eating program, and the Worldwide drinks are listed with the protein drinks, along with Atkins Advantage and EAS,which are on my list from doctor. Check it out. No mixing needed.