Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strange scar issue

I was reading in the scars picture thread and saw BansterNYC whose scars looked super just 3 weeks post-op. She mentioned a gel called Kelo-cote from skinstore.com. I got all excited and thought I would try it. Now, let me say this - I am generally a good healer. I really shouldn't worry about the scars - I should just be patient and they will eventually fade.

But anyway, I've been using the stuff for about 2 weeks, I think? Anywho...I kind of noticed about 5 days into using it that it seemed like my scars were more puffy and shiny. I thought nothing of it, thinking more that maybe that was part of the healing process. Well, I noticed yesterday when I got home from work (7am) that one of my scars almost looked like it had a blister underneath it. I didn't see any major trouble with any of my others, kind of wrote it off to being irritation from my bra, or something (it's the one right by my xiphoid process). I used the gel and went to bed. Got up at 3:45pm and noticed some crusty stuff on that scar. Really started looking and it was dried blood.

My scar burst open. Not down as deep as it was cut...just superficially. I cleaned up the blood and I was still bleeding from two tiny spots that looked like pin pricks. It took awhile to get it to stop. I now notice that one of my other small scars that does not have direct irritation from anything but my shirt (no - I don't wear them that tight) looks like it's getting the same kind of small blister-looking thing underneath it. :scared:

That gel is history. I don't dare use it anymore! The scar up by my bra is now fatter than it was. It WAS a delicate line and now it looks like somebody poked me in the chest with their finger. I'm going to use neosporin until it closes up again and keep it covered with band-aids until it's hardened enough that my bra won't irritate it. I'm just really discouraged.

I don't think everybody would have this reaction. I rarely have a bad reaction to a medication (aside from Lortab...*shiver*), so this is strange for me. I just think people should be aware. How are everybody else's scars doing?

Steph sorry to hear about this episode for you! My scars are healing, and they are still red and noticeable. My port inscison is doing great I have a small area at one end of it that took longer to close completely but it is doing better now.

I had issues with the disolving sutures poking through my skin.....my surgeon told me to just pull them up with scissors and clip them off if they were irritating me and I did and no more issues with this.

I am not worried about my scars because I know they will eventually over time fade. It is like a badge anyhow....of what I went through to get this weight off....it is nice to have that reminder every time I undress so that I do not get complacient about this journey.

I am sure your scars will recover and you will be ok. There is also some stuff on the market called McDerma I think and I am going to try it later down the road....not this early though. I think in a couple more months perhaps. My dad used this on his openheart scar and it really helped.

It does sound like and allergy. Weird. I used the Curad Scar bandages. They are like a gel bandage and I am very happy with my scars. They are all very thin but of course still bright red.

I'm going to use neosporin until it closes up again and keep it covered with band-aids until it's hardened enough that my bra won't irritate it. I'm just really discouraged.

Oh gosh Steph. Don't use Neosporin. Get some Bactracin instead. It's on the shelf next to the neosporin. According to my dermatologist neosporin has an ingredient that inhibits healing. The bactracin has all of the ingredients that you need. I will say that I had never heard that. I grew up slattering neosporin on any and all cuts. The bactracin really does work.

My dermatologist has given me injections of cortizone or something to help smooth out scars. I have never had problems with scars before, but about a year ago a old scar began keloiding(Don't know if that's a real word. lol) One injection and the scar was nice and smooth again.

I agree with Wendy. The neomycin in the Neosporin has a high potential to cause an allergic reaction with continued use and that could further slow your healing. I used it when I had a tattoo removed and had a horrible topical reaction. She is also right about the steriod injections. Some people form keloid tissue when they scar and steroid injections limit the raised bumpy scar formation.

Tracy,

I'm glad you knew what I was talking about. I wasn't sure what they injected in my scar, all I can tell you is it worked.

Huh. OK. I know my DH has talked about bacitracin before because he used to be a trauma tech. But when I brought up Neosporin this time, he didn't say a thing about it - just, "OK." He's using it on a bad scrape he has, too. LOL We'll have to drop by the store today or possibly tomorrow to get some bacitracin.

I had strings sticking out, too. I tried gently tugging to get it long enough to be cut and never quite could. All but one small piece finally got close enough to the surface that I could completely pull them out without pulling on the scar. They were kind of gross looking. :) I'm glad they're gone.

Hey Steph - Sorry to hear about your reaction to the cream! I was thinking about trying out some sort of cream myself but didn't both because my incisions are so tiny (and frankly, they'll blend in wonderfully with my stretch marks..) My incisions are pink just at the incision line but healed very well. My port is on it's side which is a real pain. It sticks out more than they normally should but oh well, I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Steph - that's awful! I too was looking at the scar pictures on this web site, and started to think mine looked yukky. I've tried a couple of things, but nothing is making much of a difference.

I think it was Kristin who said that they are kind of a 'badge of honor' for us! Perhaps in a few months they will fade and look better (right now they are more obvious than my stretch marks - which may be a good thing!! Ha Ha).

I'm really glad that RxTracy & Momto1plus1 told us about the Bacitracin. I think I'll toss out all of the Neosporin I have (and I have plenty with two kids running around) - and replace with the Bacitracin.

Thanks for the "Head's Up" ladies!:clap2:

One of my incisions busted three days post surgery. Doc never re steri stripped it and the scar is very round red and ugly. It also took a month or better to fill in with tissue. I am in Texas close to Houston so if anyone reads this looking for a Houston doc, pm me and I'll share with you who to avoid lol. (not just for that reason either)