Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Phentermine and the band

Pre surgery or post? Either way, my preop said to stop taking them at least 10 days before surgery. So, they wouldn't even help with the preop diet!

I used phentermine a few years back. I exercised 3 times a week, tried to stick to a low carb, high protien diet and drank Water. In 6 months I only lost 18 pounds. then my doctor took me off it becuase it can be dangerous long term. It did absolutely nothing for me. With that weight loss plan, I was convinced that the band would NEVER work for me. I've been banded 6 weeks now and have lost 26 pounds!! It's a freaking miracle.

phentermine is one of the drugs with phen phen but not both. My story is a little different. I am 40 lbs from goal. I've had a problem with my band for a few months and solids. So yesterday I chose to have .5ccs taken out so I could eat solid Protein again. I was concerned about the hunger so my surgeon prescribed me phentermine. He did say it is not a long term solution.

I was on Phentermine about 6-7 years ago and it was awesome (at the time) I lost 45 pounds in 5 months, however, as soon as I stopped taking it, the weight just kept on coming back on!!!

I think that if you work out with it, and you do the majority of the work, you should do great with it!

Brandy

phentermine is one of the drugs with phen phen but not both. My story is a little different. I am 40 lbs from goal. I've had a problem with my band for a few months and solids. So yesterday I chose to have .5ccs taken out so I could eat solid Protein again. I was concerned about the hunger so my surgeon prescribed me phentermine. He did say it is not a long term solution.

Wow! I am shocked! I can't believe your surgeon gave you an Rx for Phentermine!

It is funny, my DH and I were talking about this very subject today. We are not banded yet, but will be soon....however, we were discussing the ability to develop a serious eating disorder after being banded. That is where this topic came into play.

I can't imagine your Dr. would support the use of an amphetamine after being banded. I mean, you have an excessively restricted intake of food already - then add a drug that can keep your hunger at bay to a serious extreme. I mean the first time I ever took it, I didn't eat hardly anything for 3 days - and I only ate then because I knew I had to put something in my stomach for energy. That whole thing just seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

Ok - I don't mean to sound like I am preaching, but let me preach some :paranoid

I took Phen-Fen for a few months, lost alot of weight, then they took it off the market -

I continued to take Phentermine off and on for years - some periods longer than others. It can become addicitive. I almost lost my marriage over the "attitude" that you get from it (you get VERY cranky and bitchy), and the memory loss is another thing all toghether. But the most important things are that they increase your heart rate and are BAD for your liver, and kidneys (especially if you don't drink enough water)!!!

I was part of the class action lawsuit that was filed against the drug companies - I was very fortunate after taking this stuff for so long - I only have mild regurgitation in my heart valves and have a period of about 3 years where I don't remember sh*t!! Yes, memory loss is a side effect - however, the drug companies would never acknowledge that.

I could tell you more about the problems that I had with all this if you are interested, just let me know, but I won't go into that great detail right now.

In any case - I would get a second opinion from your primary. I don't think that it is a wise choice to use the pills. I mean, if you need a little extra something to help with that last 40, then I would suggest something OTC, changing your exercise routine, or going high protein/low fat for a couple of weeks. The side effects from the pills are not worth putting your loved ones through the hell that will follow if you can at all help it.

Don't go down that Phentermine road - there is nothing that is worth it. It is just alot of cons and very few pros when it comes to those pills.

Sorry for venting about it - I just hate to see someone use those pills for any reason. The destruction they can do to your mind and body are not worth a few pounds lost. However, I will not look "down" upon you if you do take them - just be super careful and MONITOR YOURSELF!!!!

Take care and keep me posted!!!

I agree with the above posters... any diet pill I took worked wonders for reducing my appetite, however upon discontinuation the weight came back on.

This was as recent as two months ago when I was taking Meridia.

HTH :rolleyes:

I have been talking phentermine for years as well prior to the band.

I did lose 50 pounds in seven months.

Alot of that was the gym.

Also it does make you bitchy,depression,tons of energy sometimes.

It doesn't last long either.

I gained all of the weight back plus some friends.

I know we want the weight off fast.

Sometimes slow is better so it will stay off for good!

I took it years ago as well and lost some weight on it but it came back on when I stopped. At 35 I also developed high blood pressure and heart problems, I believe from that. Be careful. I would think the band would work on its own & not need the added incentive of P. Good luck~!

(you get VERY cranky and bitchy), and the memory loss is another thing all toghether. But the most important things are that they increase your heart rate and are BAD for your liver, and kidneys (especially if you don't drink enough water)!!!

I was part of the class action lawsuit that was filed against the drug companies - I was very fortunate after taking this stuff for so long - I only have mild regurgitation in my heart valves and have a period of about 3 years where I don't remember sh*t!! Yes, memory loss is a side effect - however, the drug companies would never acknowledge that.

I had the same problem as this poster. heart valve regurgitation and was hospitalized for a period of time when they couldn't get my heart rate to go down. Luckily after not being on the meds for a year the heart valve regurgitation had healed and my heart is fine.

One of the reasons I got the band is that for me, (and I am only speaking about myself) diet pills are not a good solution. They make me a nervous wreck and as soon as I stop them I re-gain the weight. I can not say what will work for someone else however.Everyone is different. Donna

Hi Girls, let me give you an update. So far the phentermine is not working as my appetite is bigger than ever. I am going to go back in for a slight tweak next week to see if that will help. I weighed in at Weight Watchers today and I need to lose 35 lbs to goal.

Phentermine alone didn't help me. My doc. put me on it as one of the means to get the weight off.

Hi julie - I don't mean to ramble on and on about the same thing, but if the pills aren't working for you, stop taking them. They are only doing damage inside, and for what? Your not losing weight on the pills, so just stop! :think

I know what you mean about the appetite being bigger than ever. I remember that if I did eat, that it seemed like I could eat and eat without getting full. It was crazy.

I also don't want to tell you what to do, but I am just concerned about your health. Kind of a "been there, done that" thing. Be grateful for the band and work with it.

If you want the last 35 to go away and STAY AWAY - then it will have to be done the old fashioned way. :faint:

Good luck and hope this helps.