Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone get to stop using acid reflux meds (Nexium,Protonix) post-op?

Me too! No more Nexium for my hiatal hernia. The Nexium only worked a little bit anyway. I was told that the band would help and I have not had heartburn or reflux since surgery. A wonderful side effect!:clap2:

Be Careful stopping meds. I felt wonderful with no reflux for weeks after surgery( banded on Nov. 7, 2007) but let me explain why I went back on nexium. 20 yrs ago, my mother had a dacron band put on her stomach called gastric segmentation by Dr. Molina in Houston, Texas. When I started my LapBand process, she wanted to see about having a revision done on hers. We both went for endoscopy together. Her results returned saying she had Barrett's esophagus( precancerous changes to lining of esophagus) She didn't realize the acids were still washing into her esophagus pretty bad because of her band but they were. The doc put her on protonics and keraphate and eventually she ended up going through a grueling 6 hr. operation to remove her old band that had gotten very constricted and they fixed her up with a gastric bypass on Dec. 10, 2007. She is still trying to recover.

I would suggest if you do stop the meds, have an endoscopy every other year or so to be safe.

Hi

I was banded on Jan 25th 2008 started at 540 so far lost 65 pounds never really hungry but problem is when I go to bed I get this foamy or slimey junk backing up into my throat making me sick.Any suggestions

Tried extra pillows,acid relux meds,and eating 4-5 hours before bed.

wow, you are doing well as far as losing weight... the slime thing... sounds like a question for your doctor...I was banded on jan 28, weighed 252 morning of surgery, now weigh 230...anyhow.. never experienced slime.. but.. I take nexium everyday, it is a miracle med... even before surgery, i used to suffer from acid reflux and gerd... tried tums, didn't offer any relief, then tried protonix, no relief, then nexium and never had a problem again... just a suggestion... but definitely discuss with your doctor...

I was initially able to go off my Protonix, about 3 weeks after surgery. All was well until my first fill. 3cc, a pretty aggressive fill. My heartburn came back the next day. I don't know if that means I am too tight, but I am going to wait a few weeks and see what happens. I think if the hearthburn remains, I may request a small unfill.

I'm so glad I caught this thread. I have very bad heartburn which is currently under control with meds. I don't have my date yet as I'm still going through the testing phase. I'm encouraged by the fact that so many people were able to get off their meds after surgery. I have my fingers crossed.

I am also glad I read this thread. I have been wondering about the reflux & GERD thing. I also get very sick if I drink Water before going to bed. I am excited to think I may not need to take these meds after I have my surgery 3/19/08. I think I will try going off the meds very slowly, as I have been on them for years.

I posted on this thread back late Dec. and I'm happy to say still no more reflux. Hoever, if a person's band is too tight, reflux might re-appear. A slight unfill can usually relieve that.

I think you'd be more likely to have reflux re-solve if a hiatal hernia is involved and I suppose altho mine was repaired, it could come back (the hernia, I mean and then seems logical so would reflux)

My hiatal hernia was repaired at the same time as surgery and I have not had any problems with reflux since!! WooHoo!!

Maybe I do need a slight unfill--:) horrors! I'm afraid I will gain. It's already tough to lose now after 8 months

I have had reflux for years. My PCP told me the tests showed a hiatel hernia. When they went in for the band surgery they couldn't find it, go figure? My doctor wants us to take prilosec otc for six months after surgery so I don't know if I am just responding better to the medication or if it really is better but I feel so much better and haven't had a nighttime attack since banding (They were pretty frequent before I got my band even on the medication.) I'll have to let you know in about 5 months if it is still better when I go off the prilosec.