Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise challenge - 2008

I now have Sun, Tues, Thurs and hope to complete my week Saturday.

Hi January bandsters,

I've been peeking in on your site for inspiration fromthose who are 1 year out. You guys are doing really well. I thought I would respond to the question about Pilates. I have been doing Pilates for about a month. It is great strength training and my abs are looking good. The good thing about that is if yourabs are strong, your back also feels better. I have tried a video but it is not the same as taking a class with an instructor who can correct the positioning of your body. This is really important for the Pilates to be effective. Good luck!

Val

Valstar--thank you for your feedback. I have been a bit surprised at the spots I have sore since doing my pilates on Thursday...so I guess, even though it wasn't a hard workout, it did hit the spots that needed it.

I agree, a class would be better, but just not going to work for me right now. Maybe someday..altho I think if I ever joined a gym again, I would do a month of personal training or some such thing.

Well I have completed my week! I hope this week to get in some cardio. It has been really cold and rainny here this week. I hate the cold now!!!!!!!!!

Hey all, everyone is doing great. I will have to probably sit this week out, but not sure. I'm going to take it a little easy, I was told no sweating since I had LASIK and they didn't want sweat in my eyes (I asked them about exercise), but I'm thinking I could do some low intensity, so I might just get on the recumbant bike.

Anyhow, I'm still hanging in there.

Sunshine, maybe a sweat band and a towel close by and you can work on the recumbant? Just keep the sweat blotted off your face?

Or maybe just give yourself time to heal.

I did it, I did it, I did it! I did go exercise and I was able to do 15 min on the Elliptical machine WITHOUT PAIN! I'm so excited, I have always LOVED the Elliptical, I think it contributed a lot to my weightloss. However, since my knee surgery, I have not been able to do it for very long before the pain would shoot thru my knee and cause me to swell. Well, yesterday I gave it another shot and I even kicked it up some and it didn't hurt until the very end, and it was just a mild pain, I could handle it. I don't want to push it very much more, but I will continue doing it and hopefully each week I can continue to kick it up. I'm just so excited. I think my knee troubles are about to be the past! I just cannot wait until I can really kick my exercise up, like doing squats and lunges again! I love those and so do my ARSE. Well, not really but it does shrink that area. lol.

Anyhow, doing the elliptical yesterday was my NSV. I took your advice Sula and made sure that I wore a sweat band as to not get the sweat in my eyes, it worked. I plan on doing the elliptical again today and my weights.

Hope everyone else is doing okay. Pilates is fun and I have taken some classes, I can gell it really works my core. After I can conquer my elliptical, I might try and take a palates class at the gym.

Way to go Sunshine!! That is really good news..no pain. I have often thought about your original workouts and how this must frustrate you at being hampered from something you seemed to enjoy. I do enjoy the ellipital...I liked the fancy one at the gym better but we got a pretty good Nordic track ($1000) so it works for me. My DH can actually read while on it but it wobbles a bit to much for my old eyes. I watch TV usually.

I hope that you can continue and not have any adverse effect with your knee!!

I would love to buy an elliptical or a really good workout machine, something for cardio, however, I just don't know where I would put it. My house is so full right now with stuff. I think once my kids move out, I will take one of their rooms and turn into a workout room. Not that I want them to move out (they are only 17 & 15 right now). But it does give me something to look forward to - some day.

I did two 15 min sessions yesterday on the elliptical machine, and I felt good afterwards. So I am very happy. TOM has arrived, and I feel so bloated, so I haven't weighed, but I know if I stick with eating right and exercising that the weight will come off so I'm not worried and really excited these days because I've finally got mind right, and recommitted myself.

It feels so good to be back in control!

PS - I'm also going to an ABS, ABS, ABS class tonight at my gym. Its only 15 min long, and it works nothing but your abs. I'm starting now so by June, I might be bathing suit ready for my cruise! I would love to be able to wear a bikini, however, at this point, I would just like to wear a bathing suit and not look like a huge floppy whale. I would like not to have the jiggle going on and be firm and tight.

The Four KEY Areas To Be Addressed If You Want To Develop A Killer Midsection!!!

1. Nutrition

2. Interval Training

3. Resistance Training

4. Abdominal Training

# 1. Nutrition

You Absolutely cannot get your abdominals to stand out and trim your waistline, unless you address the area of nutrition. The only way to get your abs to stand out is to remove the layer of fat that is keeping them from been exposed.

All the abdominal training in the world will do very little to remove the fat from your midsection. You need to look at your nutritional habits and meal planning, as well as using interval training and a full body resistance training plan to stimulate your metabolism and burn the fat that covers your abs.

# 2. Interval Training

SSC (Steady State Cardio) is good, but you really need to be using "Higher Intensity" interval training, in order to boost your metabolism and continue burning calories for several hours post workout.

Interval training can be performed via circuit training or running, cycling, rowing, etc. Personally I prefer to use circuit training and running for my interval training workouts.

I think most people are fairly familiar with circuit training, whether it's general strength circuits using just body weight exercises or circuits that combine bodyweight exercises and dumbbell exercises together. Basically you select anywhere from 6-12 exercises and usually perform for a certain work to rest ratio, going from exercise to exercise until all the exercises have been performed, then taking a prescribed rest period, before repeating the circuit a further 2-4 times. Circuit training is one of my favorite training modalities.

Treadmill running is another great way to get in your high intensity interval work. Basically you will want your workout to last no more than 20 minutes, including a warm up and cool down period.

Here's an example HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) Treadmill workout:

3 Minutes warm up period.

90 Seconds High Intensity Running.

60 Seconds Active Recovery (Walking at 5kmh or less)

Repeat x 6 (This equals 15 minutes)

2 Minutes cool down period.

If you find that during the 60 second active recovery period you want to walk faster than 5kmh or want to jog, this means that you were not working intensely enough during the 90 second high intensity running section. If you're working intensely enough you will need to walk slow, believe me!

# 3. Resistance Training

You Absolutely must piece together a full body, free weight based resistance training program, with the focus been placed upon the "BIG LIFTS" such as squats, deadlifts, Olympic lifts, lunges, presses and pulls.

Theses exercises will do more for your abdominals than any isolation exercise or abdominal gadget could ever do.

Just cause you don't feel "The Burn" in your abs, this doesn't mean they are not been stressed during these activities.

# 4. Abdominal Training

And yes you will want to incorporate some effective abdominal training exercises into your abdominal development plan, but you really don't need to do as many isolation based exercises as you think. You may need to recondition your thinking on this one, as it's hard to accept for most people.

Here are some of the problems I see with people and their abdominal training routines:

1. Too much emphasis placed on trunk flexion.

2. Too many exercises performed in the supine position.

3. Too many repetitions and not enough load been used.

Instead you should focus on:

1. Performing more rotational exercises.

2. Performing more exercises in the prone position.

3. Perform fewer repetitions and add some additional load to the exercises.

The abdominals can be trained in many positions and with the use of various tools for the purpose of creating additional load. There are many tools available, but some of the more commonly used tools include:

1. Cable pulleys. Used for loaded kneeling crunches, chopping & rotational exercises.

2. Med balls, weight plates and dumbbells. Great for adding load to almost any exercise.

3. Stability balls are useful for some exercises, but personally I feel they are overused.

4. AB wheel. Great for forward and diagonal roll outs.

You should also perform PSC (Pelvic Stability Circuits). These include all your prone (face down) supine (face up) and side position plank exercises, or elbowstands and handstands as I call them.

The simple push up is, believe it or not, another great exercise for your abdominals. There are literally dozens of push up variations you can perform, so you will never get bored and if you want to further challenge yourself, you should try performing some stability push ups.

Stability push ups are a very demanding core exercise and I would only suggest these for advanced individuals. Some people will perform them on stability balls, which is fine, but I personally like to perform them using my jungle gym apparatus from Lifeline USA or you could use a TRX Suspension Trainer or Blast Straps.

The 6 Pack Abs - ABliteration Workout

Here's One Little Abs Training Routine You Can Try Next Time You Train Your ABS!

All You Need Is:

• Stability Ball - Bench or Chair - Enough Space

How To Perform The ABliteration Workout:

• Perform each superset x 2 with a 45-60 second rest interval between sets.
  • Rest for 60-90 seconds between supersets.

AB Superset A:

A1 - Spiderman Push Ups x 10 (Slow)

A2 - H2H Mountain Climbers x 20-30 (Super Fast)

AB Superset B:

B1 - Stability Ball S2S Knee Tucks x 10 (Slow)

B2 - Cross Body Mountain Climbers x 20 (Moderate)

AB Superset C:

C1 - Stability Ball Knee Tucks x 15 (Slow)

C2 - Mountain Climbers x 20 (Moderate)

How To Perform The Exercises

Exercise #1 - Spiderman Push Ups

6-pack-abs-workouts-exercises-spidermans.jpg

This exercise requires you to go from 4 contact points to 3 contact points.

Assume a standard push up position on the floor, arms fully extended (up-position) and legs extended straight back, with the feet approximately 8-12 inches apart. Your hips and shoulders should be aligned, so that your back is parallel with the floor.

From this position start lowering down into the push up down position, allowing the right foot to come off the floor and bringing the right knee forward towards the right elbow. In the bottom position your knee and elbow should almost or slightly touch.

As you begin to the extend back up, start moving the foot backwards to the start position. The foot should touch back down as the arms return to the full extended position. From here you should repeat the action on the opposite side of the body until all repetitions have been performed.

Individuals who cannot perform full push ups, can still perform the spiderman push up by starting off in a kneeling push up position and following all exercise cues as described above.

Exercise #2 - H2H Mountain Climbers (H2H = Hand 2 Heel)

6-pack-abs-workouts-exercises-cross-h2h.jpg

This exercise requires you to go from 4 contact points to 2 contact points.

Assume a standard push up position on the floor, arms fully extended (up-position) and legs extended straight back, with the feet approximately 8-12 inches apart. Your hips and shoulders should be aligned, so that your back is parallel with the floor.

This exercise ultimately should be performed at high speeds, but at first it is best to go slow for learning purposes. Just remember that ultimately you want to perform at high speeds.

Brace your abdominals as you bring your right knee forward towards the right elbow, allowing the lower leg to move inwards slightly towards the bodies midline. At the same time lift the left hand off the ground and bring it back to meet the right foot instep or tap the right heel. Return the right foot and left hand back to the start position and repeat on the opposite side, bringing the right hand to meet the left foot.

Again, this exercise is ultimately to be performed at high speeds, but start slow and allow proceed to faster speeds once you have become efficient and provided your technique and posture isn't compromised.

Exercise #3 - Stability Ball S2S Knee Tucks (S2S = Side 2 Side)

6-pack-abs-workouts-exercises-ball-s2s.jpg

This exercise can be performed using just a stability ball and placing the hands on the ground with the arms fully extended.

Personally I like to, and feel it is best, to perform this exercise with the forearms resting across a bench or chair, similar to the position you would assume if performing a forearm plank or elbowstand exercise.

With your forearms supported on a bench or chair, extend your legs back and onto the top of a stability ball. Your entire body should be pretty much parallel with the floor at this point.

Brace your abdominals and slowly pull your knees forward towards your chest and slightly across the body to the right side. Hold this position for a split second before extending the legs back to the start position and repeating, this time pulling the knees forwards towards the left side of the body.

Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.

Exercise #4 - Cross Body Mountain Climbers

6-pack-abs-workouts-exercises-cross-body-mt-climbers.jpg

Brace your abdominals as you bring your right knee forwards and across the body towards the left elbow or armpit, keeping the foot close to the ground, but don't allow it to touch the floor. Extend the leg back to the start position and repeat on the opposite side, bringing the left knee forwards and across towards the right elbow or armpit. Return to the start position and repeat, alternating right and left until all repetitions have been performed.

Exercise #5 - Stability Ball Knee Tucks

6-pack-abs-workouts-exercises-ball-knee-tucks.jpg

This exercise can be performed using just a stability ball and placing the hands on the ground with the arms fully extended.

Personally I like to, and feel it is best, to perform this exercise with the forearms resting across a bench or chair, similar to the position you would assume if performing a forearm plank or elbowstand exercise.

With your forearms supported on a bench or chair, extend your legs back and onto the top of a stability ball. Your entire body should be pretty much parallel with the floor at this point.

Brace your abdominals and slowly pull your knees forward towards your chest. Hold this position for a split second before extending the legs back to the start position and repeat for the desired number of repetitions.

Exercise #6 - Mountain Climbers

6-pack-abs-workouts-exercises-mountain-climbers.jpg

Brace your abdominals as you bring your right knee forwards and across the body towards the left elbow or armpit, keeping the foot close to the ground, but don't allow it to touch the floor. Extend the leg back to the start position and repeat on the opposite side, bringing the left knee forwards and across towards the right elbow or armpit. Return to the start position and repeat, alternating right and left until all repetitions have been performed.

Brace your abdominals as you bring your right knee forward towards the right elbow, keeping the foot close to the ground, but don't allow it to touch the floor. Extend the leg back to the start position and repeat on the opposite side, bringing the left knee forwards and towards the left elbow. Return to the start position and repeat, alternating right and left until all repetitions have been performed.

To increase the difficulty level and add additional load to the mountain climber exercises, you can loop a resistance band around your feet. Just make sure you loop it over the lace area of your shoes and that you keep the ankles dorsiflexed (toes pulled back towards the shin) as you perform the exercises, otherwise the resistance band will slip off.

These are just a few useful exercises that I personally like to incorporate into my own abdominal routines. Just remember that these and all other isolation based abdominal exercises should only supplement a sound nutritional plan, interval training and full body resistance training program.

I thought I would share the above, I got it from my weekly/semi monthly newsletter from shapefit.com. They always have a lot of good information! I love it.

I tried doing sit-ups but it feel like my port would detach, it was really hard.

Okay, Tonya, which one of those poses can you do? :cursing: I worked up a sweat just looking at them.

I'm doing manual labor this weekend and paying for it. We are remodeling the bathroom and taking it down to the studwalls. I bashed my nose (no black eyes, but swelling and a lovely blackish bruise over the bridge of my nose and I smashed my pointer finger with a hammer this morning. (Only good news...I haven't broken a nail!). Losts of bending, squating, etc. Hope to get some sheetrock up today and then the backer board for tile on at least the floor. My house is a disaster!