Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise challenge - 2008

Okay, as we gear up for our 1 year Band Anniversary, and focus on hitting our goals (some of us are at goal, and some are still trying to get there), it time to make exercise a part of life.

Challenge begins January 7th, 2008 (Monday). I would recommend taking a before picture, just so you can compare it.

You can weigh in and post your weight here, or keep track of it yourself, that is your option.

Also, take your measurements, a lot of time with exercise, you will lose inches first. I would recommend measuring every 2 weeks or every 4 weeks so you can compare your results.

What to measure:

Chest area - I measure around my breast area -just be consistant on where you measure

Waist - I measure around my belly button area

Hips - I measure the largest part of my hips

Thighs - measure your right or left, just be consistant

calves - again, the left or right and be consistant on where you measure and which side you measure.

Okay - there you go. If you want to join, just chime in and say your in the challenge.

We can update every day, or once a week, or whatever. Remember, this is a challange to ourselves. We have to keep our promises we make to ourselves and our commitment. You deserve it!

The challenge will run for 12 weeks - Begins 1/7/08 to 3/30/08.

If you exercise at least 4 to 5 days a week, I promise you, when 3/30/08 comes around, you will not stop. It will become a part of your life and you will learn to LOVE IT.

Best wishes to all, now put down that piece of pumpkin pie, or whatever leftovers you may have after xmas, and get to the gym, or something. :rose:

Yay! We are going to hit our goals and be in the best shape of our adult life in 2008!

Tonia,

I'm definitely in... thanks for making our start date in January. I can't wait to get rid of all this excess food in my house. I gave away what I could but I still have a refrigerator full!! Hope Santa was good to all of you.. I was so excited to get clothes that fit, size 12, can we say yahoooo! I decided when I get to size 10 that will be a good size for me to stay at, even if I weigh 600 lbs lol. So the challenge is on!

Susie

So glad that we are getting some takers for the challenge! I'm getting geared up for it.

For thos of you that would like to print out anything - here is a link to some worksheets - Body-for-LIFE Exercise Journals

Also, here is a link for different strength training - Bodybuilding.com - Exercise Guides Database. Learn The Correct Form!

I know I shared this with you guys before, but take a look at my friend who won the BFL challenge in 2006 - Now look at the big change in her body, you would think she lost 40 or 50 lbs, but in reality, she only lost 19 lbs. This just shows how much exercise can shape your body, even if the scales are not showing huge loss, the inches are fading away. So don't get discouraged if you don't see a loss in the beginning. Also, most of the people say they didn't see big changes in the scales until 8 weeks, then all of a sudden, it starts dropping. So hang in there when the scale is not moving.

Body-for-LIFE Challenge Champions 2006

Tonia,

You're friend looks great! I looked at the materials online and I'm confused about the aerobic days. What do they mean by the different levels of intensity? I can't run any more because I've had knee replacements. I can walk forever but the Dr. said I shouldn't run with my new knees. Help please...

Susie

Hi Susie - I can't run either. I don't know if I can even do the eliptical machine, but I might be able to do the recumbant bike.

Here is how it works, it is called the HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training - here is a link that explains it a lot better than I could - hiit and interval training explained

Here is how I would do it in the past on the elliptical machine

1 - 2 min I would do a speed very slow, almost like 4.5 I think on the elliptical - (level 5)

2-3 min - I would increase a little (level 6)

3-4 min - Increase a bit more (level 7)

4-5 min - increase some more - at this point I would be going almost as fast as I could, but not quite (level 8)

5-6 min - I go as fast as I can - your heart is racing and you do this for a min then its time to drop back down to where you were at 2-3 min of the workout (level 6)

You do this 3 times basically or for 20 minutes on an empty stomach the first thing in the morning. Then you don't eat for 1 hour. This will tackle the stored fat according to BFL book.

I am not saying that I think everyone should do this, I was just showing some examples of some things we could do and from everything I have read, the trainers that I have talked to, they all agree on one thing, that HIIT aerobic training is the best to tackle fat fast.

The BFL book claims you only have to do it for 20 min 3 times a week, along with 3 x's a week strength training.

When its talking about level 4 or 5, this is your own personal level. when you are at a 10 - or sometimes they refer it as a high point, this is where you really have to push yourself hard to complete it, you are at total exhausten basically and you feel like there is no way you can lift one more rep, or if your doing aerobic, you feel like you can't do another second. This is your level 10 - or high point. A level 5 is where it is basically easy, and each time you increase it gets harder, hence, it increases your level/intensity.

I hope I made sense, its so hard to explain.

I have knee problems too, I had to have surgery in August, major knee reconstruction - 2 legements replaced (ACL/LCL and my meniscus repaired, my cartlidge shaved, and I had a fracture on my knee cap - also had to have 4 holes drilled inside).

Because of the surgery, I still cannot climb a step, my knee is still very hot to the touch and I have to keep ice packs on it daily. I still can't squat, or go down a step with my right knee. The doctor said if it is still sore come April - he will have to do a MRI. But because of the multiple things he had to do to the knee, he is not surprised I am still having trouble - grrrr. I hate it! I never had knee problem until I fell this summer (on vacation/on the ship). Now, I can't do anything with it. The bike is the best thing for it, or the easiest thing I can do. I tried the elliptical about 3 weeks ago, and I could only do it for about 5 min and then the pain was unbearable.

My physical therapist told me to stay off the treadmill for awhile because it is too much pounding on my knee, my surgeon told me absolutely no running. I told him I really never have been a runner - he said "well, don't start now". So, I won't be running either.

I am getting all my plans together now for the challenge, I'm ready to get started and kick start the weightloss again!

PS - everyone can do whatever type of exercise they feel most comfortable with. The purpose of the challenge is just for each and everyone of us to MOVE. Whatever you chose to do, however you chose to do it, how many minutes you exercise is solely up to each and everyone of us. We are all accountable to ourselves.

Another article I thought I would share:

the total plan for fatloss

Okay, I want to do this. It seems a little overwhelming and I don't know that I have the right equipment for the resistance training but I'm going to check around the house.

I'll do my measurements too.

Good idea Sunshine - this will be fun to do this with all of you!

Jennifer

Hi All,

Count me in - I actually already started adding exercise to my weight loss journey. I signed up for a gym last week and began working with a personal trainer (paid for a lot of sessions up front, so I'm definately motivated!).

2007 was the year I focused on what and how I ate, and 2008 I will ad exercise to that!

exercise.png

weight.png

I'm so glad everyone is going to join in! I'm about to take my measurements and have a picture taken of me so I can compare my results. I personally am going to do a modified BFL program, but everyone can chose what they want to do. My hardest thing is going to get up at 5:00 am to exercise. But I will do it!