Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise challenge - 2008

Sunshine, you are getting stronger! When you did the BFL challenge last time, did you stick to the 20 cardio? Or did you keep adding time to the cardio. I did the 20 twice, first time was harder, then today it was okay. Tomorrow is legs...I'll hardly be able to walk after doing lunges..those kill me. And I don't have any excuse!

I stuck to the 20 minutes on my cardio days, however, sometimes, I would do another 20 to 30 minutes of just regular exercise. Like I would walk on the treadmill later that day after lunch, or when I take a 3:00 break. Sometimes I would go back to the gym and do 30 minutes of the elliptical, not the HIIT, but just regular. I didn't do it all the time, but I would add another 1 hour a week of some type of exercise.

Yes, those lunges are killers, but they really work! I remember I couldn't even sit on the toilet the first time I did them. lol. My butt hurt so bad, I could barely walk!

Didn't get up early this morning so I will work out on lower body strength training after work and grocery shopping. I'm committed.

Didn't get to do anything since Monday but I am off the 3 days.

I rode my bike 5-miles today just because I wanted to. WOW!

I wish it didn't hurt my butt/front area so much. I even have a really nice seat. Maybe as I get smaller it will help. Owieeeeeeeeee!

I did it. Made 6 workouts this week. Saturday was upper body so I sort of cheated. Rather than hit the basement and use my bands, I helped a friend tear apart a kitchen...cabinets, panelings, soffets, etc. Lots of upper body work. I needed to change a light bulb when I back home and just couldn't do it!! Holding my arms above my head was not working!! So, I feel pretty good about it all. My legs are still hurting from the lower body workout on Wednesday. But all it all...this has been a very good week and I can see how I will be able to keep after it.

How have you guys down with your own personal exercise challeges? Five miles on a bike,,,,yeah!! But owe!! I used to tease that a person should put the jell pad seat covers in the freezer the night before the ride. Then put it on when you go. It will numb the pain and keep the swelling down!! :smile:

Congrads to everyone who got their stuff done this week. I need to kick my ass because I didn't do as well as I had planned. I go for a fill next week so maybe that will inspire me. Here is something I received at work and thought I would share with ya'll. Enjoy!

Make a Fresh Start: 10 Tips

Tuning in to what motivates you can help you make a big change, such as quitting smoking, losing weight, starting an exercise program or reducing stress.

1. Know yourself. Think about what drives you. You may feel pride in a job well done, enjoy getting praise from others or be inspired to change by a personal event.

2. Choose realistic goals. Look toward results that are specific and reachable. “I will lose 10 pounds by the summer” is easier to reach than a general one such as “I want to be thinner.”

3. Take one step at a time. Break down large goals into small steps. If you want to reduce stress, you might start by learning one new calming technique, crossing one item off your to-do list or setting up a space in your home for quiet reflection.

4. Set a time frame. Mark your start date and deadlines on your calendar.

5. Build confidence. Do easy tasks first to create a positive attitude.

6. Recall your purpose. Why are you making this change? Perhaps you want to feel and look better, live longer so you’ll enjoy your grandchildren, have more energy or be successful at work. Use your values as inspiration.

7. Cut out distractions. Make reaching your goal a priority. Schedule it into your day like any other appointment. Recognize that you might need to get more rest and cut back on obligations as you work toward your goal.

8. Plan for setbacks. Know that the road may be bumpy. Decide now what you’ll do when you have a tough day, such as calling a friend or doing something special for yourself.

9. Ask for help. Set up a support network of people you trust who can help you meet your goal.

10. Reward yourself. Every accomplishment, no matter how small, deserves recognition.

Hey all,

Just checking in this Monday morning. I hit the cardio today and it does seem to be getting easier. I probably need to push a bit more tho. My heart rate didn't seem to get that high.

Well, I did pretty good. I did not make the 6 days of exercise, however I did do 5.

And I painted all day yesterday, this meant walking up and down steps. My hamstrings are so sore and my arms from painting, so I did get some exercise yesterday for sure.

My eating is still a struggle, but it has gotten better. I go for my fill on Friday! Can't wait.

I'm still in the challenge, and I will not give up!

Went out Sunday and bought me a work bench with weights. I am feeling it today. Plan on doing this 3 times a week, maybe more. I love it.

Still plugging away. Did lower body/legs this morning. I will probably do a bit more during a break at work today. Seems like I wasn't to intense this morning so I better do another set or two of everything.

Well, woke up with a horrible sore throat this morning, can barely swallow. So, needless to say that I did not make it to the gym. But, I brought my stuff to work, so I will work out at lunch today.

Its nice having a great gym at work, so I have no excuse not to exercise, I belong to a gym too. So I have many opportunities to workout.

Did anyone catch the oprah show yesterday. They had some amazing weightloss successes. Bob Green was on and it was "Live your best life in 2008". It just motivated me a bit more to be the success story I've always wanted to be. So, in order to be a success, exercise is a must!

Well, not sure if I will be online the rest of the week because I am far behind at work and I'm having my lasik on Thursday, so I will be off work Thursday and Friday.

I will keep plugging away at my exercise too -

SULA - you are kicking some serious butt!

Tonya - anxious to hear about your eyes...good luck, I think you'll love it! I want that too, but astigmatisms and other weird things prevent at this stage...maybe lens implants later. They keep telling me it would be a trade off...so still stuck in contacts and readers for the time being.

Hadn't posted in this spot yet, but y'all know I'm with you. 4-5 times a week, I hit the gym (Lifetime Fitness) for 1-1.5 hours. I do heavy cardio w/HIIT, and strength training, weight lifting, circuit training...whatever the term of the day is. Usually in the 7:00am hour, unless one of my daughters wants to join me...then it's after work. Weekends I take off...because I'm usually out of town. But I do stay active!

I sweat, pant and push myself, and change it up daily, albeit it is all this type of workout. You think you're in shape til you try a new machine!! When I get closer to goal, I may do the classes, and try to alter my workouts some...but this is doable for me now.

Funny, classes seem to be full of 130lb moms who look like they never had a weight issue, and have no real muscle. Is it just me, or am I being catty???? Sorry!

Hi All!

It's been a week and a half, and I've made it to the gym 6 times, so I'm on track for my four times a week goal! I am so excited because this is a start of a habit for the rest of my life!

As an FYI, I've been working with a personal trainer (because I know it's the only sure fire way to get my butt out of bed) and he stresses how important weight training is. In fact, according to him weight loss is:

50% diet

40% weights

10% cardio

So for those of you focusing on the treadmill, you may want to get a set of cheap weights or a video.

So far so good!!!

Lori

exercise.png

weight.png

I worked out Sun, Tues, and can't wait till tonight.

Does anyone, or has anyone done Pilates? What do you think of it as an overall exercise? Do you think you get cardio out of it? I did a DVD of it this morning...it seemed so slow paced....definately some strengthening stuff there, but just wondering about others opinions about it.