Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from TX!

Guest JenniferZ

Is it true that they have a monthly fee for medical loans? Im going to get the surgery @ Monterrey MExico. They send me a list of companies but I still havent contacted them, bc i wanted to know more about it. Did you have to pay a down payment? How much is a "high" interest or a "good" interest in a medical loan?

THANKS!!

TamiSCool,

If you don't mind me asking, what was the total cost for your procedure. I am a self-pay, and was looking into going down to Shreveport myself, if it might be a little less expensive than Doctor Heikyl and Doctor Keilin in Texarkana. So were you one of the first patients there to get Lapband? Thanks.

I don't know anything about having surgery in Mexico or the financing there. I have done no research on medical technology and federal programs in Mexico. Surely there is some sort of Agency for the medical field, but I know nothing about it.

I'm not sure how far you are from the surgeon, but something to consider is post op care and band fills. I'm 75 miles from my surgeon, and for me, that means I will have to take off work at least 1/3 - 1/2 a day for each visit. If you take in consideration anytime away from work, how much will you actually save by going to Mexico? My interest rate for the surgical loan was 1.9% annually. That totals up to about $ 173.00 during the term of the loan. My surgery, doctor, medical evaluations, fees, edp, program fees, hospital fees, all inclusive was about 13,000.00. In the long term, I'm hoping for a return on my money in the form of lower insurance premiums, lower medical costs, lower medical perscriptions....etc.

Sorry, guess I got carried away and didn't answer your question. lol ummmm, no, no down payment. 1.9% is Excellent! I think anything over about 9.5% would be high. It all depends on your credit score.

wow:eek:... 1.9% is a really good interest rate. I didnt know what was high or low in that kind of loan... I could tell you if we were talking about a house or a car, but this is a totally new thing for me lol!!! .

I live in houston tx, and I have family in monterrey, we usually go 2 times a year so that wouldn bother me at all. I definatly have to look for a personal loan. I hope they can give me a good deal too!! XD:tongue:

I was just banded on Jan 8th...been 1 week and feeling great....14lb weight loss over 3 weeks. Looking for recipes.....anyone have any???:cool:

I don't know anything about having surgery in Mexico or the financing there. I have done no research on medical technology and federal programs in Mexico. Surely there is some sort of Agency for the medical field, but I know nothing about it.

I'm not sure how far you are from the surgeon, but something to consider is post op care and band fills. I'm 75 miles from my surgeon, and for me, that means I will have to take off work at least 1/3 - 1/2 a day for each visit. If you take in consideration anytime away from work, how much will you actually save by going to Mexico? My interest rate for the surgical loan was 1.9% annually. That totals up to about $ 173.00 during the term of the loan. My surgery, doctor, medical evaluations, fees, edp, program fees, hospital fees, all inclusive was about 13,000.00. In the long term, I'm hoping for a return on my money in the form of lower insurance premiums, lower medical costs, lower medical perscriptions....etc.

Just an FYI about a few things. You must have pretty good to excellent credit. I have "Decent Credit" but do have a bankcruptcy my intrest rate on my loan was 17% ! However if i pay it off in the first yr any interest paid is refunded. I too stayed in the states. But realize not everyone can afford it. As far as saving on insurance premiums. Make SURE if you have a group plan you do NOT Go off it or you do not ever plan on getting private health insurance while you have the band. Im 7 months out and as of yet I have not found a private health insurance company to insure me with the band. I was denied before due to my weight. SO im on the TExas high risk health plan in which i pay $309 a month JUST FOR ME !

So dont count on being able to get insurance so easy after banding. If you dont have insurance now GET IT Before you get the band!

As for financing. Most docs offices in Mexico have finance companies they use .

A good source of info is this thread that a member create for this purpose :

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f11/researching-mexican-doctors-101-a-43575/

Anyway HTH

Mindy

About 13,000. Dr. Merriman has done more lap band procedures than any other dr in the ark-la-ex. i really like him.

Just curious how many bands has he done ?

Mindy

Sorry, guess I got carried away and didn't answer your question. lol ummmm, no, no down payment. 1.9% is Excellent! I think anything over about 9.5% would be high. It all depends on your credit score.

For this type of loans 9.5 is not high . These type of loans are more of "High" Risk type loans so they tend to run higher interest rates.

You were VERY lucky. If you went through your bank or something that is probably why you got such a good deal . To actually go through medicredit.com or some place like that your rates are going to be MUCH higher .

If your credit score is below about 620 you most likely will not be able to get a loan through the finance companies the docs use .

I had to go through all this and i know more about credit than I care to thanks to my bankruptcy.

You can find our your credit score by going to myFICO - FICO Credit Scores | Get a Free Credit Report Online and paying for it. The other credit type monitoring sites are NOT REAL Fico scores they are called FAKO scores. if you know what your FICO is you have a better chance of knowing what you can get if you can get a loan ?

If anyone has any questions Email me i can see if i can help out .

It took me over a yr to clean up my credit enough to be able to get a loan for surgery .

HTH

Mindy

Thanks for the information!!! I think I have a decent credit, but Im currently unemployed. My husband has good credit, the only thing that worries me is that we may have TOO many open accounts. Me credit should be more than the 620 points.. (hopefully).

Is it true that all the medical loans have the 50 dlls fee ? How much do you pay a month?

The doctor that I like the most is charging me $7500. I still want to put some money up front too, at least $1000. But since I dont know about the interest rate or the terms of the loan i have no idea how much the monthly payment would be. I guess it would be like buying a cheap car too!!

I was a self pay and all together was 13,000. My doctor needed payment in full prior to surgery. Even though it was a lot I am very happy I got the surgery. It has been 20 years of yoyo diets. I have already lost more than I ever did in 20 years.:doh:

Thanks for the information!!! I think I have a decent credit, but Im currently unemployed. My husband has good credit, the only thing that worries me is that we may have TOO many open accounts. Me credit should be more than the 620 points.. (hopefully).

Is it true that all the medical loans have the 50 dlls fee ? How much do you pay a month?

The doctor that I like the most is charging me $7500. I still want to put some money up front too, at least $1000. But since I dont know about the interest rate or the terms of the loan i have no idea how much the monthly payment would be. I guess it would be like buying a cheap car too!!

All the medical loans are different. Some places if you get a loan for $7500 they charge so many fees your doctor only gets $6000 so you have to make up the difference.

Most of them dont even let you put down payments so that does not help you . You can make $1000 payment up front OR what would be better is if you have $1000 cash if your surgery is $7500 only get a loan for $6500.

Your best bet is to try to get a loan from a bank or a Credit union if you can. My loan was for $8000 and my payments are $340 a month . My interest rate is HIGH .

HTH

Mindy

Hello Monica, My name is Barbara and I live in Killeen also. I am looking to have my surgery at the end of Feb. I am self pay also. I am going to Dr Ganta in Austin. Lets keep in touch. OK?