Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some of my fav foods, do you see...

any trouble with anything on this list?

Canteloupe, watermelon, oranges, bananas, plums, honeydew,pommegranite,blueberries,raspberries,pineapple, coconut,papaya,mango,

Sweet potato, yams, cauliflower, broccolli,carrots,spinach,tomatoes,cucumbers,radishes,salad greens,

chicken, filet mignon,sweet sausage

Pasta, brown rice,kashi

Italian bread.....I know, I know......

Tiramisu!!

;)

Susan

Oh, my, oh, my, sweetie. Are you serious with your question? Have you had surgery yet?

The fruits.......too much sugar to eat more than just a little. Blueberries are your best choice in that list.

Green veggies are fine as long as they are well-cooked and well-chewed.

chicken, steak, sausage....wait several weeks after surgery and then tiny tiny bites chewed to pulp. Some people can never eat chicken.< /p>

Pasta, rice, potatoes, corn....anything white starches (i.e. evil carbs) - they need to be history.

Bread....HA!! If you haven't had surgery yet you need to enjoy it now.

If you haven't had surgery yet are asking a serious question and not just joking around......you need to begin right now tracking your food on a site such as FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal or Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate. You will be shocked at how much fat and carbs are in certain foods.

The first thing in your mouth at every meal needs to be Protein. If you have any room left in your little pouch, vegetables are the next choice. After that, you really should have little room left.

Most of the successful losers I know aim for 100 gr Protein per day every day forever (both solids and supplements). Less than 30 carbs per day (and only good carbs, no starches). 64 oz. liquids (including your protein supps). No carbonated drinks. Exercise.

Personally I only see a few problems in your list. bread and Pasta will give you alot of trouble and you should try avoiding them at all costs. Me, being banded now, I don't crave breads and pastas like I used too. Plus it is too much trouble eating them. Sweet potatoes I love but may cause you problems because they are very fibrous. Spinach and salad greens cause me lots of problems. For some reason they block up every time. chicken gets stuck too cuz I prefer white meat and its usually too dry. I agree get your protien first then eat any other veggies if you can. And it is important to eat fruits in moderation to get in all your Vitamins and minerals. You want to focus on getting your protien first. But, for the most part your list sounds very healthy. My prebanding list of likes consisted of mainly fried everything. Oh, I have to take the skins off tomatos for them to go down comfortable. Pommegranites I don't know about, never learned how to eat them.

Nope, not joking around.

Not had surgery yet. Happily found the site and it is helping me prepare for Drs visits and the decision itself. ( I have waffled on this several times this weekend).

I do eat good food, just too much of it apparently.

In reading I have seen mention of bad foods, things which are totally taboo and then with a little more reading I see SOME people are able to tolerate. (namely lettuces and chicken)

Yes, all will be done per instruction by my surgeon and LB aftercare team.

I just like to be prepared.

It takes me a year or two to choose a car. I am a thorough researcher..lol

Whats scaring the crap out of me is the amounts of real good nutritious food I am not seeing on peoples diet(the what have you eaten threads).

I'm just hoping to get in good quality nutrition.

White enriched flour...I'm not on it now(except for Italian bread on Sundays). Although I (IMO) cannot be afraid of a food group. That wasn't a healthy thing for me when trying Atkins and the like after being DX'd with PCOS& Insulin Resistance.

Thank you so much for your insight.....and the links.;)

Susan

. But, for the most part your list sounds very healthy. My prebanding list of likes consisted of mainly fried everything. Oh, I have to take the skins off tomatos for them to go down comfortable. Pommegranites I don't know about, never learned how to eat them.

The BAD thing about my diet that I know I need to nix, and do on other weigh loss attempts are the chicken SKIN.,,,,loved it.

Poms are easy....Get one, take a large LARGE bowl or spaghetti pot and fill with Water, Cut the pom and then submerge it...scrape out the pearls and they wont go everywhere. They are delish and so good for you. I think they would be easy enough to mush down....or blend up in a drink.

Thanks for your reply.

Susan

Oh, my, oh, my, sweetie. Are you serious with your question?

Sorry, I fibbed..I was serious about EVERYthing I asked and wrote BUT the tiramisu was thrown in for a giggle...that's me, sorry.

And to tell the truth.....Somewhere in there, someday I will have a bite of it. Total deprvation (FOR ME) would send me over the edge.

Whenever I have just done it and lost weight nothign was off limits. The bite once a week or the slice of whatever once a week kept me going.

I have a terrible portion problem. I am finally truly seeing this. I thought I had good portions but we are a super size me society....I'm working really really hard on that.

That's where I think the LB will be a great tool for me.

Susan

I agree about not being afraid of a food group. If you are eating mostly whole/fresh foods (most of those are) you should eat as much variety as you can tolerate with the band (of course I am talking about healthy foods. You don't need a lot of variety of chocolate and chips!:hungry:) One of your rules to follow is "protein first"...it helps fill you, & makes sure you get your Protein requirement before you fill up with other stuff. Humans can't absorb more than 25gm Protein at a time, so eating more than that at any one meal is a waste of money, plus it is hard on your kidneys to have to excrete it. It's wise to avoid the breads, pastas, rice, etc...these things don't have a lot of benefit for bandsters. On occasion I will eat whole grain versions of these things, but I keep it minimal. Lots of people can't tolerate them anyway post banding so it might be a moot issue. The fruits are fine, IMO...yes they have sugar but they have lots of good for you micronutrients and antioxidents and stuff. Sugar from fruit is much easier for your body to use than processed sugar, so it's different than eating sugar itself. Some people can't tolerate skins or certain fruits at all.

If your surgeon has a nutritionist (he/she should) they will go over what their recommended diet is, and you should follow that. You should be talking to them before surgery, so you won't be surprised when you have surgery about what you are not allowed to eat. What you CAN eat, however, will be determined by trial and error. Some people have a tough time with lots of foods. I haven't found any food that I can't eat, yet. I eat a varied diet of mostly healthy, whole foods. I do eat a fair amount of fish, but no meat. Lots of people can't tolerate chicken, pork, beef, just depending on how tight their band is and how well they are able to chew.

good luck!

Gwen

Glad to know yu are researching....more people should do more of that!!

The band is a good choice for 'volume eaters'.....you just can't eat much at all and just don't care!! Some people have a real problem with the band, tho,if they are sugar addicts....even with the band they can still get down lots of ice cream and soft hi-carb foods. The band probably requires more self-discipline and maturity than GB.

The greatest surprise to me:faint: has been that since being banded I have lost all interest in food of all kinds....and I'm nearly 2 years out. I lived on carbs before (which is why I guess I take a hard line on eliminating them now). But I don't crave them and just really don't care at this point if I ever see another potato. I would never have believed it in a million years. But I've learned that eliminating the white starches keeps your blood sugar from bouncing and giving you 'false readings' on hunger feelings....... keeps you from craving and thinking you are

hungry:hungry: when you really are not. So just a few bites of a carb are my trigger and I suffer afterward......so I do better with total abstinence. That's probably not the way most people have to or need to do it......but that's what works for me.;)

Oh, my, oh, my, sweetie. Are you serious with your question? Have you had surgery yet?

The fruits.......too much sugar to eat more than just a little. Blueberries are your best choice in that list.

Green veggies are fine as long as they are well-cooked and well-chewed.

chicken, steak, sausage....wait several weeks after surgery and then tiny tiny bites chewed to pulp. Some people can never eat chicken.< /p>

Pasta, rice, potatoes, corn....anything white starches (i.e. evil carbs) - they need to be history.

Bread....HA!! If you haven't had surgery yet you need to enjoy it now.

If you haven't had surgery yet are asking a serious question and not just joking around......you need to begin right now tracking your food on a site such as FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal or Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate. You will be shocked at how much fat and carbs are in certain foods.

The first thing in your mouth at every meal needs to be Protein. If you have any room left in your little pouch, vegetables are the next choice. After that, you really should have little room left.

Most of the successful losers I know aim for 100 gr Protein per day every day forever (both solids and supplements). Less than 30 carbs per day (and only good carbs, no starches). 64 oz. liquids (including your protein supps). No carbonated drinks. Exercise.

Yep, everything GayleTX wrote. I agree with it 100%.

I have to laugh at a majority of bandsters (not talking about you, Sooz) but so many throw a fit over not being able to get in healthy amounts of each food group. How many of we fatties actually know what a healthy amount of food is? We swear we'll die of malnutrition with a band because we can eat (gasp) normal portions.

Sooz, I think you might be surprised at how little nutrition and how much sugar is in many fruits. ;) Nope, I'm not suggesting people eliminate fruit, not be a long shot. I'm saying it doesn't take as much as you think.

How many of us had great diets before banding? Yet the thought of cutting down on the sugary fruits is a horror to us. Kinda funny if you think about it in perspective. We used to eat chocolate but banding cuts down on fruit intake. uh huh... (again, not directing this to the OP)

And as for being able to absorb a limited amount of Protein at one time.....the latest research from the American Bariatric Association (or something like that) has decided that's just not really true....we can absorb much more than that but it's probably not a good idea to overdo it. Funny how those 'proof' things change all the time, isn't it, but that's what they are saying and teaching now. As for kidney damage, that's one reason we need to drink lots of liquids (water/tea) to keep our kidneys healthy.

I eat all the fruits and vegetables on your list. I also have chicken,roast,turkey,and ground beef/turkey.

I have one fill. I also have a protein/fruit shake every morning. I also throw in some flax seed powder in it and splenda.

My lunch tofday was a salad with chunks of cheese,satziki sauce(greek yogurt and cucumbers) and Beans with onions,garlic, and green pepper. I cook my food everyday. We're having chicken Soup tonight.

I can only eat small amounts now so i work had to keep it healthy. I want to make sure i get my protien and veggies. I try to stay away from the junk food , though it is hard at the holidays. I must be doing ok though because i am still losing. Steer clear of junk and high calorie foods and you should be ok. I write down everything i eat. It helps me keep track and not overdo. Donna