Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Posted (edited)

I was looking at my weight scale app and so far for this year, 2024 I've lost 23.2 lbs total or 5.8 lbs a month from January 1st to May 1st; 5 months - 23 pounds! That's my total weight loss for months 4 - 9 post op. I understand everyone loses at different rates, but isn't this too slow for only being 4-9 months post op? I'm almost at only a pound a week! I was under the impression that about 2 lbs a week is normal at 9 months - 12 months. Then after 12 months po1 pound a week is normal...

I could also understand if I were eating more calories, I'm sticking to 800 max a day - what I've been told to stick to by my dietician, 80grams Protein, under 50 net carbs, under 20 sugar grams... Anyone have any ideas, comments etc!?

I don't mean to complain, but heck I was hoping to lose more than a pound a week following surgery at this point in time, Most can accomplish that without surgery! Again, anyone have the same problem at this point in their timeline? But if so, did they continue to lose or am I getting to that point my body says I'm done?

Anybody?

Edited by BlondePatriotInCDA

At 9 months out, 800 calories per day seems extremely restrictive. Has your dietician explained why you are supposed to be at such a low amount? Most sources I've seen that provide calorie ranges suggest 1000-1200 calories per day by that point (1000 calories by 6 months, gradually increasing to 1200 by 1 year post-op). If your body thinks you are starving, it will lower your metabolism and cling to every ounce of fat, and weight loss will slow or stop. Is it possible your body requires more nourishment than what you are giving it?

not really. When I was 6-12 months out, I averaged about 5 lbs a month. After I hit the year mark, there were months when I only lost 2 lbs. At 176 lbs, you're getting closer and closer to goal - and the closer you get, the slower it goes. Just keep at it. I continued to lose until I was 20 months out, even though those last few months it was very slow going.

Nothing is too slow, really.

If you are losing weight, you are winning.

We all get to same place eventually, more or less.

At your current weight and height, 800 cals is well below your maintenance level so if you keep going, it'll keep coming off until u reach ur equilibrium (where your intake matches your expenditure...which is still a ways away, based in your info)

You are doing great!

11 hours ago, NickelChip said:

At 9 months out, 800 calories per day seems extremely restrictive. Has your dietician explained why you are supposed to be at such a low amount? Most sources I've seen that provide calorie ranges suggest 1000-1200 calories per day by that point (1000 calories by 6 months, gradually increasing to 1200 by 1 year post-op). If your body thinks you are starving, it will lower your metabolism and cling to every ounce of fat, and weight loss will slow or stop. Is it possible your body requires more nourishment than what you are giving it?

No it was never explained its just the amount given since I went to solids. I even confirmed it at my 6 month when they increase my Protein to 80 grams. I questioned how I was to increase protein yet stay on the same calories...I was told "make high protein choices."

Thank you everyone for responding, I knew to keep keeping on..since as Ms.sss stated weight loss is weight loss. Its just frustrating, to be right back where I was before surgery; hungry all the time and only losing a pound a week despite eating healthy, cutting back and being hungry 24/7! Yes, I've lost 90+lbs since..I was just hoping the struggle would have been a bit easier ..at least have gotten the "honeymoon" period of not being hungry and losing a lot the first few months.

Thanks again everyone!

31 minutes ago, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

No it was never explained its just the amount given since I went to solids. I even confirmed it at my 6 month when they increase my Protein to 80 grams. I questioned how I was to increase Protein yet stay on the same calories...I was told "make high protein choices."

Yeah, I wondered because my dietician gave me this same goal at my 4 week post-op appointment. She recommended 80g protein and that for now, protein should be about 40% of my calories, which means a goal of 800 calories per day. But she definitely said the goal would be shifting over time. I have an appointment with her next Wednesday and I'm curious what she'll say about my targets now that I'll be almost at the 3-month mark. For what it's worth, I've only lost 22lbs since surgery, so mine has been really slow going. If I hear anything interesting from my dietician next week, I'll let you know.

7 hours ago, NickelChip said:

Yeah, I wondered because my dietician gave me this same goal at my 4 week post-op appointment. She recommended 80g Protein and that for now, protein should be about 40% of my calories, which means a goal of 800 calories per day. But she definitely said the goal would be shifting over time. I have an appointment with her next Wednesday and I'm curious what she'll say about my targets now that I'll be almost at the 3-month mark. For what it's worth, I've only lost 22lbs since surgery, so mine has been really slow going. If I hear anything interesting from my dietician next week, I'll let you know.

Please do! I'd be interested in hearing what they tell you!

12 hours ago, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

… No it was never explained its just the amount given since I went to solids. I even confirmed it at my 6 month when they increase my Protein to 80 grams. I questioned how I was to increase Protein yet stay on the same calories...I was told "make high protein choices."…

That’s such silly advice. Make high protein choices. We make those choices every day. Okay up your protein but also up your calories. Your calories or volume of food you eat should be slowly but steadily increasing as you progress until you get to the point you’re maintaining. Until that time, you will keep losing but the rate slows & slows. Like many of the others above I kept losing for almost another year after I reached goal so about 18 months in total. (Wasn’t intending to lose more but it took time to increase my portions & calories to a point it the loss stopped plus it was obviously where my body wanted to be as I’m still there.) And the loss in those last months was grams a week (or none) not kilograms.

It’s not over until it’s over.

11 hours ago, Arabesque said:

That’s such silly advice. Make high Protein choices. We make those choices every day. Okay up your protein but also up your calories. Your calories or volume of food you eat should be slowly but steadily increasing as you progress until you get to the point you’re maintaining. Until that time, you will keep losing but the rate slows & slows. Like many of the others above I kept losing for almost another year after I reached goal so about 18 months in total. (Wasn’t intending to lose more but it took time to increase my portions & calories to a point it the loss stopped plus it was obviously where my body wanted to be as I’m still there.) And the loss in those last months was grams a week (or none) not kilograms.

It’s not over until it’s over.

Thank you, this at least puts my mind at ease! It maybe slow but hopefully it continues!

Thank you, this at least puts my mind at ease! It maybe slow but hopefully it continues!
I felt my weight loss slowed down when I wasnt eating enough, at 6 months I was eating 1000 calories, and now 18 months later I do 1200 to 1600, with my surgeons approval. I have been maintaining my weight since January after loosing an additional 10lbs as a buffer.

Sent from my SM-S916U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 5/2/2024 at 7:33 PM, NickelChip said:

Sounds reasonable, I'll be asking my dietician exactly this believe me!

On 5/2/2024 at 7:55 PM, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

I was looking at my weight scale app and so far for this year, 2024 I've lost 23.2 lbs total or 5.8 lbs a month from January 1st to May 1st; 5 months - 23 pounds! That's my total weight loss for months 4 - 9 post op. I understand everyone loses at different rates, but isn't this too slow for only being 4-9 months post op? I'm almost at only a pound a week! I was under the impression that about 2 lbs a week is normal at 9 months - 12 months. Then after 12 months po1 pound a week is normal...

I could also understand if I were eating more calories, I'm sticking to 800 max a day - what I've been told to stick to by my dietician, 80grams Protein, under 50 net carbs, under 20 sugar grams... Anyone have any ideas, comments etc!?

I don't mean to complain, but heck I was hoping to lose more than a pound a week following surgery at this point in time, Most can accomplish that without surgery! Again, anyone have the same problem at this point in their timeline? But if so, did they continue to lose or am I getting to that point my body says I'm done?

Anybody?

I use the app lose it. It’s free easy to use!
your doing great. Yes this is normal .

IMG_3861.jpeg