Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Counting Carbs or Net Carbs

When you are tracking your carbs, do you count carbs or net carbs?

I had this same question. I talked to the dietician and forgot to ask her about that too. I am contemplating the Sadi which is low carb. She told me to get 45 from starch and 45 from fruits and veggies then says 1/4 to 1/2 cup of each per meal but didn’t specify net or total carbs. I’m thinking my requirement is total carbs though because if 1/2 cup of pineapple has 15g which is a higher carb fruit so even that three times a day is only 45 total grams of carbs. If it was net carbs it would mean I should be able to have more than 1/2 cup I would think. I think where it really matters is on processed stuff. Hopefully I remember to ask the surgeon on Monday.

I was never told to count carbs. Like a lot of others on here I prioritise good carbs. fruit, pulses and lentils etc and as I can't really stomach more than a spoon full of white bread, potatoes, rice and Pasta, I imagine my count would be lowish ?

40 minutes ago, summerseeker said:

I was never told to count carbs. Like a lot of others on here I prioritise good carbs. fruit, pulses and lentils etc and as I can't really stomach more than a spoon full of white bread, potatoes, rice and Pasta, I imagine my count would be lowish ?

The thing is that they assume that you can only eat so much so if you prioritize Protein then veggies then you should only be able to eat a tiny bit of healthy starches, if any, and based on that theory everyone will be okay. When I had Sleeve three years ago I swear mine was left larger than most though because I could drink and eat more from day one than they said I should.

I always said that I know I had surgery because I could no longer get my moneys worth at an All you can eat buffet but I could still eat quite a bit. When I was back to “regular” portions I hit all my protein goals then ate my veggies like suggested but still had room for more carbs than I should be eating. I did great in the beginning when I was told how many ounces I should be eating and I wasn’t hungry so I just stopped myself there but later on I think I needed more guidance than just calories and what to prioritize.

I know I was an exception to the rule though. When I went back to discuss revision with another dr he said not that I’m suggesting it but if you were eating a sub how many inches could you eat and when I said 5 or 6 easily he said that I should not be able to eat that much. I believe that is why things went wrong for me. I reached my first easy goal I set to encourage myself but never made it to my ideal body weight. Then a few month later when actual hunger came back and I ate until I was full I started to gain even with the healthy options because of my portion sizes.

Admittedly if I had not been frustrated and basically gave up at some point I probably would not have gained ALL my weight back and I would still be healthier now than when I started, but I know where things began to go wrong so this time I asked repeatedly until I got even more guidance from the dietician.

Total Vs net carbs aren't really a thing this side of the pond. Disclaimer - I am writing this post with a glass of wine (completely useless carb) beside me, so make of it what you will.

While you're in the active phase of weight loss post op IMO you should be minimising carbs. If you're not quite full after your Protein and veg then have a little more veg. Or protein. Carbs are what make people fat - what made US fat.

There are NO essential carbs (there ARE essential amino acids - i.e. protein - AND essential fatty acids - ie fats). Nobody needs refined carbohydrate to survive. If you absolutely have to incorporate carbs into your diet while still losing then keep them healthy. Carby veg, fruit, oatmeal, wholemeal bread/crackers, wholemeal Pasta, brown rice, etc.