Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi yall! I had my surgery on Monday (4/22). I’m going well at home. The gas pains are starting to subside and my soreness is beginning to lessen. I’m struggling to figure out my fullness cue vs what is just gas. Any tips on how to determine the fullness cue as I advance to full liquids tomorrow?

On 04/25/2024 at 00:42, vsg.molly said:

Hi yall! I had my surgery on Monday (4/22). I’m going well at home. The gas pains are starting to subside and my soreness is beginning to lessen. I’m struggling to figure out my fullness cue vs what is just gas. Any tips on how to determine the fullness cue as I advance to full liquids tomorrow?

I found it hard the first 3 -5 days but once the internal swelling calmed down i kind of focused on feeling drinks or food going down. I’d spend 30 minutes mentally following the mouthful and trying to identify what i felt. In the end i’ve notice a sort of tension in the stomach as the first sign of being full.

Then there were other random signs : hiccupping is the strangest one, and for the first week i’d get a runny nose if i’d eaten too much

It’s all so new but we’ll work it out - good luck 😊

Hello!

I try to stop a bit "early." I figure after a few minutes if I feel I need more I can have a couple more bites, but, if I get overfull I will spend a lot of time feeling miserable.

Best wishes!

Elizabeth

Hi all, I'm LeighAnn and just had surgery on 4/24. I did ok in the hospital, came home on 4/25, and felt fine on 4/26, but yesterday and today I'm really struggling with nausea when I try to drink the Protein Shakes. I'm also struggling with really bad lower back pain. Anyone know what that might be all about?

On 4/26/2024 at 7:14 PM, Elizabeth21again said:

Hello!

I try to stop a bit "early." I figure after a few minutes if I feel I need more I can have a couple more bites, but, if I get overfull I will spend a lot of time feeling miserable.

Best wishes!

Elizabeth

8 hours ago, LAMamma said:

Hi all, I'm LeighAnn and just had surgery on 4/24. I did ok in the hospital, came home on 4/25, and felt fine on 4/26, but yesterday and today I'm really struggling with nausea when I try to drink the Protein Shakes. I'm also struggling with really bad lower back pain. Anyone know what that might be all about?

Congrats, LeighAnn! I also had back pains and it ended up being the gas from the surgery. It dissipated after about 4 days, and I felt much better. Remember to drink REALLY slowly and the nausea hopefully will lessen as well. I had some nausea just because at this point, I am SO tired of Protein shakes! I still have a little trouble 12 days out, but trying different flavors helped some as well as the slow-paced drinking.

@wendy4energyrenewal Thanks for the welcome. I'm one week out now and the nausea with Protein Shakes seems to have lessened (I'm just already tired of them). I did figure out that mixing the shakes with Water and ice made it a little more tolerable ... the thickness of the pre-made shakes is not sitting well.

Wow, 2 weeks on pure liquid didn't sound like much but after a week, I'm really starting to feel deprived. I'll make it, but I'm already planning some pureed meals!!

Edited by LAMamma