Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery was Mon 3/18.. questions

Posted (edited)

Hi. I had gastric bypass Monday the 18th. I am doing well, walking a lot. Today I had a few sips of coffee and I also am having a few sips of a lobster bisque Soup. Technically neither of these things are allowed but I just needed something more than broth and Protein Shakes. I am also having trouble getting 48+ oz a day of liquids in. I’ve been consistently getting 36-40 but after that 40 it’s so hard.

i guess my question is.. am i harming myself by jumping ahead by a few days? I understand it’s best to listen to my doctor but i am just struggling to do anything and tasting something different seems to have helped

HW 324

SW (before liquid diet) 324

CW 296

Edited by Rachael13
Add question

I wouldn't jump ahead. They have these food progressions for a reason. You'll be able to have other things soon enough - and at some point, all food restrictions will be lifted. I know it's hard, but just hang in there..

What else is allowed on your program? Some are more lenient than others. Mine allowed Tomato or strained cream Soups, for example. Although lobster bisque has got to be one of the richest soups I've ever encountered. It's so full of calories and fat, not to mention lobster is not as easy to digest as, say, flaky white fish. I honestly can't imagine eating this 4 days post-op. Greek yogurt would be a healthier option, or strained cream of chicken Soup.

So, the issue with coffee is caffeine, which dehydrates. If you said you were getting 64+ oz Water every day, no problem, I might shrug at a little bit of coffee. Some programs allow a cup a day. But given that you're struggling to hit even a much more modest 48oz goal, I wouldn't drink something that is known to dehydrate you. Could you try Decaf instead? I drink a 32 oz travel mug of decaf tea every morning and it goes down so smoothly, better than water, and counts toward my hydration goal.

Ultimately, taking a bite or sip of something forbidden isn't as big an issue as why you're doing it. When I am tempted to do something not approved on my plan, I have tried to ask myself why, and get to the bottom of it, because what can quickly undo all your best efforts and intentions is not being in a healthy headspace. Is there something going on that will continue to drive you to push the limits, or lead to a slippery slope? That's something only you can know.

I totally understand how boring and disgusting the options get that first week post-op. But it's really such a short time. For me, my program allowed soft Proteins at one week post-op. That's really not so long to wait. Your body doesn't need much right now. If you're like me, you don't even experience hunger yet. So "needing" something different is mostly head hunger, which can get a lot more dangerous as you go along. Bending the rules now makes it a lot more likely you will bend them later, too.

1 hour ago, NickelChip said:

What else is allowed on your program? Some are more lenient than others. Mine allowed Tomato or strained cream Soups, for example. Although lobster bisque has got to be one of the richest Soups I've ever encountered. It's so full of calories and fat, not to mention lobster is not as easy to digest as, say, flaky white fish. I honestly can't imagine eating this 4 days post-op. Greek yogurt would be a healthier option, or strained cream of chicken Soup.

So, the issue with coffee is caffeine, which dehydrates. If you said you were getting 64+ oz Water every day, no problem, I might shrug at a little bit of coffee. Some programs allow a cup a day. But given that you're struggling to hit even a much more modest 48oz goal, I wouldn't drink something that is known to dehydrate you. Could you try Decaf instead? I drink a 32 oz travel mug of Decaf tea every morning and it goes down so smoothly, better than Water, and counts toward my hydration goal.

Ultimately, taking a bite or sip of something forbidden isn't as big an issue as why you're doing it. When I am tempted to do something not approved on my plan, I have tried to ask myself why, and get to the bottom of it, because what can quickly undo all your best efforts and intentions is not being in a healthy headspace. Is there something going on that will continue to drive you to push the limits, or lead to a slippery slope? That's something only you can know.

I totally understand how boring and disgusting the options get that first week post-op. But it's really such a short time. For me, my program allowed soft Proteins at one week post-op. That's really not so long to wait. Your body doesn't need much right now. If you're like me, you don't even experience hunger yet. So "needing" something different is mostly head hunger, which can get a lot more dangerous as you go along. Bending the rules now makes it a lot more likely you will bend them later, too.

I definitely agree it’s head hunger 100%. I just needed to taste something and was hoping that the coffee would also help move my bowels. I can technically only have broth, Jello, Protein pudding and applesauce now along with water/gatorade zero etc.

my other concern right now is that I haven’t moved my bowels. I am not too concerned but I got a call from my surgeons team today and they said if I don’t go by tomorrow evening I need to come back to the hospital. This is so frustrating because I feel like I haven’t had anything in my system to make me go, and anesthesia is normally a reason for my body to stall it as well.

1 minute ago, Rachael13 said:

I got a call from my surgeons team today and they said if I don’t go by tomorrow evening I need to come back to the hospital. This is so frustrating because I feel like I haven’t had anything in my system to make me go, and anesthesia is normally a reason for my body to stall it as well.

After only 4 days? I've seen dozens of people on this board say it took them a week. It might be time to take a dose of Miralax.

8 hours ago, NickelChip said:

After only 4 days? I've seen dozens of people on this board say it took them a week. It might be time to take a dose of Miralax.

I agree it seems absolutely absurd to me. I feel very frustrated and almost alone in this (I know I’m not) but it’s just such a huge change. Some of the hospital paperwork I got at discharge said I should be eating 1/4-1/2 cup portions which I absolutely cannot get down but when I talked to her today she had said that I need to be eating 2 tablespoons a day and that’s it of the soft foods like plain Greek yogurt or applesauce or Protein pudding. That’s about what I can stomach anyways but I did eat two of the protein pudding cups yesterday which were about 2.5 total for both. I just feel like I’m already failing. I am going to go back to the basics, and if I don’t go to he bathroom by tomorrow afternoon I’m going to try an enema.

2 minutes ago, Rachael13 said:

I agree it seems absolutely absurd to me. I feel very frustrated and almost alone in this (I know I’m not) but it’s just such a huge change. Some of the hospital paperwork I got at discharge said I should be eating 1/4-1/2 cup portions which I absolutely cannot get down but when I talked to her today she had said that I need to be eating 2 tablespoons a day and that’s it of the soft foods like plain Greek yogurt or applesauce or Protein pudding. That’s about what I can stomach anyways but I did eat two of the Protein pudding cups yesterday which were about 2.5 total for both. I just feel like I’m already failing. I am going to go back to the basics, and if I don’t go to he bathroom by tomorrow afternoon I’m going to try an enema.

The day I got home from the hospital, I had two Premier Protein shakes. The next day, I had 2 Protein Shakes, 16oz of Bone Broth sipped over a very long period of time, and 2 Tbsp apple sauce. On day 3, I managed to eat 1/4 c of very thin Cream of Wheat made with high protein milk along with the 2 shakes. On day 4, I had 2 shakes and one 5oz cup of Greek yogurt. Even 4 weeks out, 1/2 cup of anything but Soup in one sitting would be a challenge.

But the only thing my doctor's office really cared about the first several days was fluids.

1 hour ago, NickelChip said:

The day I got home from the hospital, I had two Premier Protein shakes. The next day, I had 2 Protein Shakes, 16oz of Bone Broth sipped over a very long period of time, and 2 Tbsp apple sauce. On day 3, I managed to eat 1/4 c of very thin Cream of Wheat made with high Protein milk along with the 2 shakes. On day 4, I had 2 shakes and one 5oz cup of Greek yogurt. Even 4 weeks out, 1/2 cup of anything but Soup in one sitting would be a challenge.

But the only thing my doctor's office really cared about the first several days was fluids.

See and this is what is so confusing to me too, I definitely understand different surgeons have different rules but the ones I am seeing are way off from what I’ve been told and like I said way off from what the discharge papers say too. She told me I can only have 2 tablespoons all day, other than clear fluids. I just feel like I cannot survive for much longer on 2 tablespoons of something a day plus fluids

8 hours ago, Rachael13 said:

See and this is what is so confusing to me too, I definitely understand different surgeons have different rules but the ones I am seeing are way off from what I’ve been told and like I said way off from what the discharge papers say too. She told me I can only have 2 tablespoons all day, other than clear fluids. I just feel like I cannot survive for much longer on 2 tablespoons of something a day plus fluids

Honestly, I would demand an explanation for why their program is so different than almost every established program out there and why the discharge papers contradict her instructions. Are you getting Protein with the clear fluids? Also, I would want them to outline clearly what your food intake goals are going to be for the next several weeks. I've seen 2 Tbsp as a guideline on solid foods before for the first few months, but never limited to once a day. That's usually per meal, with 3-6 meals per day.

23 hours ago, Rachael13 said:

Hi. I had gastric bypass Monday the 18th. I am doing well, walking a lot. Today I had a few sips of coffee and I also am having a few sips of a lobster bisque Soup. Technically neither of these things are allowed but I just needed something more than broth and Protein Shakes. I am also having trouble getting 48+ oz a day of liquids in. I’ve been consistently getting 36-40 but after that 40 it’s so hard.

i guess my question is.. am i harming myself by jumping ahead by a few days? I understand it’s best to listen to my doctor but i am just struggling to do anything and tasting something different seems to have helped

HW 324

CW 296

I agree with others that it’s not wise to jump ahead. You really could be harming yourself physically. And just because it was okay once doesn’t mean it will continue to be every time. I suggest calling your team and letting them know you are having issues. Maybe you can safely move ahead to something a little more substantial than broth once they assess your specific situation just probably not to lobster bisque.

in terms of the liquids, try flavorings and different temperatures. Also remember that broth does count towards your goal. Best of luck.

The staged return to eating is in place for a reason - to protect your healing tummy. There are a lot of sutures & staples holding your poor digestive system together. If you had a 12 inch wound with stitches on your arm wouldn’t you do all you could to protect it & ensure you didn’t damage or strain it or hinder your recovery? It takes about 8 weeks to be healed from the surgery.

Yes, foods (liquids) can taste awful after surgery & it can continue for a while until you are more fully healed. I found the shakes disgusting but you have alternatives. Thin Soups like broths (bone broth are high in protein), consumes & cream soups (tomato, pumpkin, chicken, etc.). Just strain them to ensure there aren’t any random chunks of meat, vegetables, herbs, etc. in it. Make your own yoghurt drink by blending Greek yoghurt with milk to a thin consistency & add any flavour powders you may like. Protein Water is another option. All these count towards your Fluid goal during the liquid stage. Just sip, sip, sip. The portion recommendation I was given (1/3 - 1/4 cup) didn’t begin until purées so liquids were just three ‘meals’ (shake, soup) a day so a cup each. I diluted them to help with the flavour & texture (for the shakes) & didn’t care if it took hours to drink them.

Plans can be different about caffeine but if yours is no caffeine try decaffeinated or green or herbal teas. I found warm drinks much easier to tolerate & soothing to drink.

On 3/22/2024 at 12:17 PM, Rachael13 said:

Hi. I had the same problem with needing something more than broth and Protein Shakes. You can always go back to the nutritionist to see if there are other options. One option that you might consider is egg drop Soup if you like that from almost any Chinese Restaurant.

On 3/22/2024 at 12:17 PM, Rachael13 said:

HW 324

CW 296

On 3/23/2024 at 8:44 AM, NickelChip said:

Actually, before beginning with eating soft foods I would have agreed with your assessment. However, after eating my first "soft meal" I realized that 2 tablespoons or 1/4 cup of food is enough. I have overeaten once and it will come back up.

Honestly, I would demand an explanation for why their program is so different than almost every established program out there and why the discharge papers contradict her instructions. Are you getting Protein with the clear fluids? Also, I would want them to outline clearly what your food intake goals are going to be for the next several weeks. I've seen 2 Tbsp as a guideline on solid foods before for the first few months, but never limited to once a day. That's usually per meal, with 3-6 meals per day.

8 minutes ago, FormerSGT said:

2 Tbsp in one sitting is a reasonable limit since the stomach capacity right after surgery is somewhere between 2 and 4 Tbsp (although 2 Tbsp is only 1/8 cup, not 1/4 cup). But the OP said she was only told she could eat 2 Tbsp in an entire day, which I've never heard before.

Usually programs will say 2-4 Tbsp per meal, and then recommend somewhere between 3-6 meals spaced evenly throughout the day, with Protein Shake supplements to make up the difference. It just seems unusual compared to a lot of other programs, and the fact the discharge papers told her 1/4-1/2 cup per meal (which is too much) and the dietician said 2 Tbsp per day would definitely have me wondering if one hand knows what the other is doing in that program.

I mean, it's possible the dietician has a good reason for the once a day limit, but it's also possible they misspoke or had a typo and it's supposed to be per meal (and they really need to address the discharge instruction packet). It's certainly worth clarifying, at least.

I was able to talk to my team. They would like me at 2-4TBSP per meal, so it was a mistake / misspeak. They also said that the discharge paperwork is a little more forgiving but they try to have me start slow and work up so that I have room to eat more later. The discharge paperwork is the “max” I can have is what they explained. I have been doing a lot better and was able to transition to purées. Tomorrow I get to introduce soft foods and I’ll be there for like 3 weeks but ultimately I feel decent.

the only other issue I have been having now is a sharp pain that doubles me over in my right side. It was coming and going but this is the third day of bad pain. I have a call in to the on call team now to see if I need to head to the hospital.