Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Enough Calories

Anyone else told their stall was probably caused by not eating enough calories I am 6 months out from bypass and eat about 700 calories a day. Have been in a stall for 3 weeks. My surgeon said I needed to start eating more not sure how I can barely eat what I do now

I haven't been told this personally but it's something I've heard can happen. I would suggest trying to increase calories without increasing volume if you can't eat more. You could add a small handful of dry roasted or raw nuts, which are very calorie dense. Or choose low fat instead of non fat dairy products. Even just adding a Protein Shake in between Breakfast and lunch or before bed could give you another 200 calories without making you feel too full.

Stalls are stalls. There is absolutely no rhyme nor reason to them, they just happen. People try to break them by upping or lowering calories, changing exercise regime, whatever. And when the loss restarts they SWEAR that what they did caused the renewed loss.

The fact is, stalls last a few days, or worse, a few weeks and then they end. If you stick to your programme you'll start losing again soon. You don't need to do anything drastic.

I’m with @Spinoza. The stall will break when your body is ready to move forward again. I was barely eating 900 calories at 6 months (probably less as I didn’t have to track just randomly checked for my own interest). But I couldn’t eat anymore than I was at that time. My stalls were very brief but that’s just how my body reacted to the stress of the weight loss & my changing needs (digestive hormones, metabolism, etc.)

How much weight have you lost? What do you currently weigh? What’s your goal weight? How tall are you? These details can be helpful for us to be able to share more specific experiences. For example, when we get closer to our final weight, our weight loss slows to almost nothing & sometimes it almost seems a stall.

I looked at my journal from my 6th month time. My weight loss slowed significantly. I kept loosing but I was lucky if it was 4 lbs every other month. Stalls and plateaus were more common than actual WL. I just kept to my original plan and weight kept coming off even past the 2year mark. Instead of my scale obsession, I started measuring inches/centimeters and thrifting highly structured clothing made out of thick denim and leather to see my progress. A stiff pair of jeans with no stretch can show true WL because they get too big. I find they keep me honest with myself in maintenance too ; j

Arabesque thank you, I have lost 80 pounds so far I am currently 160 the goal I was given from my doctors is 130. So I have 30 pounds left to go. I am 5’3. I know you are all right and the stall will pass. It’s just my first real stall I did not go through the 3 week stall and this stall just reminds me to much of all my diet failures. I know it’s all in my head and will pass!

Learn2cook that is a great idea I will start measuring inches! Thank you!

the smaller you get, the slower the weight comes off. you don't need as much calories to move your 160-pound body as you did to move your previous 240-pound body.

At 700 cals a day you are still below maintenance cals for your height and current weight. so if you just keep going, you will drop pounds. It may drop at a slower rate, but slower weight loss is still weight loss.

also:

RE: increasing calories with limited stomach real estate...swap out one of your veggie portions for 1/2 an avocado (200 cals). add olive oil to your food (119 calories per tbsp). add cream to your coffee (50 cals per tbsp). spread almond butter on a cracker (100 cals per tbsp).

When I was 3.5 mos out I hit a stall for four weeks and my blood sugar was going low (I stayed on a glucose monitor for a few months, even after my T2 diabetes appeared resolved). I was eating 600 or so cals and my doctor said that was too low. Upped to 800 or so and my weight loss began again. Correlation or causality? Don't know...just know that my energy improved and my blood sugar stablized.

On 3/15/2024 at 11:53 AM, Kat said:

Anyone else told their stall was probably caused by not eating enough calories I am 6 months out from bypass and eat about 700 calories a day. Have been in a stall for 3 weeks. My surgeon said I needed to start eating more not sure how I can barely eat what I do now

I personally would do as your surgeon recommended. Perhaps they want you to increase your overall calorie intake at 6 months? Mine at 6 months is 800 so close to yours, there is documentation that the body does go into starvation mode and will stall out and hold onto what weight there is for "self preservation" darn bodies don't understand we're trying to become healthier!

That being said, a stall is a stall and not much can be done other than wait it out and have faith in the journey. Although, I understand your frustration!

On 3/16/2024 at 5:53 AM, Kat said:

700 calories is not enough but that is easy to fix. Check in with your dietician for suggestions. Add a Protein Bar and a few nuts over the day or even a tube of yogurt. Small Snacks. :)

13 hours ago, Kat said:

Arabesque thank you, I have lost 80 pounds so far I am currently 160 the goal I was given from my doctors is 130. So I have 30 pounds left to go. I am 5’3. I know you are all right and the stall will pass. It’s just my first real stall I did not go through the 3 week stall and this stall just reminds me to much of all my diet failures. I know it’s all in my head and will pass!

Yes, it will pass (though they are still frustrating & upsetting) but it doesn’t necessarily mean your weight loss is over. I lost another 11kgs (24lbs) in about another year after I reached goal. And many others will tell you the same. While they lost the bulk of their weight in the first 6-12 months, their weight loss continued very slowly for another 6-12 months or more. So it’s not over until it’s over.

My surgeon & his colleague also suggested I increase my calories when I was dropping below goal. I said I can only eat what I can eat. My dietician made a couple of suggestions like adding full cream milk powder to any milk based drink or dish. I tried it but found it very sweet. Over time, I was able to eat more both in volume & calories & was eating a wider variety of food sources just like I had along the whole way until my loss stopped at about 1300 calories. I eat about 1500/1600 now & maintain at basically the same weight. Maybe touch base with your dietician for some ideas or things you can swap in much like @ms.sss suggested.

Remember to Celebrate the weight you have lost & every pound you lose next even if it takes weeks to lose it.

You got this.

Thank you all so much just knowing I am not going through this alone helps!

Posted (edited)

At the 6 month mark, I was eating between 6-700 calories a day and I noticed I was slowing to 1 pound per week, which was still good, but then I bumped up to around 1000 calories a day the last three weeks. I have lost 3.2 per week the last two weeks. So not sure if eating more helped, but eating more (which is hard to do without eating junk) seems to have helped.

Edited by BigZ