Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does a typical day of eating and acitivity look like to you?

HI all!

Me again :) I have gotten over my guilt of my "cheating" and took all you wonderful peoples advice and kept on truckin!

What does a typical food day and activity day look like for you? recipes are welcome! I am ready to venture out.

6+ years post op:

I have a routine. I always starting and ending my day with a cup of tea. Everything in between depends on how hungry I am, however it is mostly liquids. For instance I didn’t eat today until 6pm because I was busy, so I won’t reach my Protein goal (I usually do) but I will still easily reach hydration goal.

Typical Snacks are fat/carbs:

nuts, cheese, fruit, Cookies, chocolates

Typical meals are mostly protein/carb combos:

-breakfast sandwiches (egg/bread)

-cold salads (egg, chicken, salmon/ vegetables/crackers)

-meat and potatoes (chicken, lamb, turkey/ mashed/baked/fried)

-soup

I'm transitioning to maintenance phase, so I don't have a typical day nailed down yet. But I aim for at least 80g of Protein, and usually end up getting 90-100g. My activity level is quite high with at least 60 minutes of exercise or training every day. Swimming, yoga, HIIT, walking or jogging with my PupTart, dynamic stretching, PT for the hurty bits, and strength conditioning are my primary activities.

All of that training allows me to go hiking, bicycling, backcountry camping, snorkeling, and SCUBA diving. I love being active and hope to keep it up for a loooong time 😁

Like @GreenTealael I have a routine too. It makes me comfortable about my choices & I don’t have to think too hard about what I’m going to eat, how much, am I meeting goals, & so on.
Breakfast: rolled oats & milk with high Protein yoghurt, mixed seeds, dried cranberries & blueberries

Lunch: multi grain crackers with labneh & Tomato or with liver wurst & pickled onions. Occasionally gyoza or calamari. Used to have salads with chicken or prawns but got tired of it & then was making omelettes with lots of vegetables & cheese but my tummy decided it didn’t like eggs (after 4 years 🤷🏻‍♀️).

Dinner: usually pretty simple - a protein (last night was trimmed lamb cutlets with a dukkah crust, the night before chicken breast & gravy) & vegetables (green Beans, sugar snap peas, asparagus, broccolini & zucchini or cauliflower).

snacks: 3 of either macadamia nuts, grapes, string cheese, peanut paste, Protein Bar, left over Breakfast or similar

Activity 4 sessions of about 5 minutes (3pm, 4 pm, 5 pm & 9pm) of stretchers & resistance bands. Usually do this every day or a modified version of them.

There will always be days when we eat a little more of this & a little less of that, skip a meal because of the busyness of life, etc. like @GreenTealael referred to. Same with your activity. As long as you aim to do your best most days, it all works out in the end.

PS - Glad you’re back on track & feeling stronger about moving forward.

Posted (edited)

For me now I am still trying to get into a routine of what I can and cannot tolerate but it is usually;

Breakfast - pot of greek yogurt, tsbp of cinnamon (good for inflammation) and a 1/2 cup of granola or oats. (approx 20g protein). At weekends I do a Protein pancake with fresh fruit. (15g protein)

During the morning/afternoon - coffee with a scoop of collagen powder (10g of protein in the scoop) * 2 (20g protein)

lunch - usually a Soup I have made in my slow cooker, at moment red lentil, chili & carrot which is delicious. (5g to 10g protein depending on the soup)

dinner - again something homemade in my slow cooker like a beef goulash, bolognese or chicken dish. I don't usually have a side with them, as not eating enough to sacrifice stomach space for a non protein element, but I do include some veg within the cooking process so I am happy with that. A few times I have had rice with the dishes but at the most 1/2 cup each time. Sometimes I will have the same thing for lunch and dinner as I batch cook so much my freezer is overflowing. The protein amounts very from about 8g to 25g depending on the food, for example a Peanut Butter (protein) chicken dish I made only has 241 calories, 8g fat, 14g carbs and a whooping 26g protein.

On a Friday I treat myself to a 1/4 of a frozen protein vegan pizza (11g protein). It is the one thing really that I don't prepare myself.

During the day if I remember to eat I might also have a protein bar, some nuts or 2 squares of dark chocolate. I am trying to get some fruit in also but it is hard to find the stomach space and the time (considering not being able to eat 30 mins either side of a drink).

On activity, I have started the One & Done 7 minute exercise program, it is just three times a week as I am a beginner. I do 45 minutes of aqua aerobics once a week so that is four active days more than I did pre-op :) I try to get a walk in a couple of times a week also but find it hard to be motivated to do that unless it is around the shops which is then dangerous for my wallet!

Edited by FifiLux
to include activity

3 hours ago, FifiLux said:

For me now I am still trying to get into a routine of what I can and cannot tolerate but it is usually;

Breakfast - pot of greek yogurt, tsbp of cinnamon (good for inflammation) and a 1/2 cup of granola or oats. (approx 20g protein). At weekends I do a Protein pancake with fresh fruit. (15g protein)

During the morning/afternoon - coffee with a scoop of collagen powder (10g of Protein in the scoop) * 2 (20g protein)

lunch - usually a Soup I have made in my slow cooker, at moment red lentil, chili & carrot which is delicious. (5g to 10g protein depending on the soup)

dinner - again something homemade in my slow cooker like a beef goulash, bolognese or chicken dish. I don't usually have a side with them, as not eating enough to sacrifice stomach space for a non protein element, but I do include some veg within the cooking process so I am happy with that. A few times I have had rice with the dishes but at the most 1/2 cup each time. Sometimes I will have the same thing for lunch and dinner as I batch cook so much my freezer is overflowing. The protein amounts very from about 8g to 25g depending on the food, for example a Peanut Butter (protein) chicken dish I made only has 241 calories, 8g fat, 14g carbs and a whooping 26g protein.

On a Friday I treat myself to a 1/4 of a frozen protein vegan pizza (11g protein). It is the one thing really that I don't prepare myself.

During the day if I remember to eat I might also have a Protein Bar, some nuts or 2 squares of dark chocolate. I am trying to get some fruit in also but it is hard to find the stomach space and the time (considering not being able to eat 30 mins either side of a drink).

On activity, I have started the One & Done 7 minute exercise program, it is just three times a week as I am a beginner. I do 45 minutes of aqua aerobics once a week so that is four active days more than I did pre-op :) I try to get a walk in a couple of times a week also but find it hard to be motivated to do that unless it is around the shops which is then dangerous for my wallet!

I am still in the Weight loss phase, what type of granola do you eat? I am struggling to find that one that isnt extremely high in carbs.

What is this PB chicken recipe?! Sounds amazing!

12 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Like @GreenTealael I have a routine too. It makes me comfortable about my choices & I don’t have to think too hard about what I’m going to eat, how much, am I meeting goals, & so on.
Breakfast: rolled oats & milk with high Protein yoghurt, mixed seeds, dried cranberries & blueberries

Lunch: multi grain crackers with labneh & Tomato or with liver wurst & pickled onions. Occasionally gyoza or calamari. Used to have salads with chicken or prawns but got tired of it & then was making omelettes with lots of vegetables & cheese but my tummy decided it didn’t like eggs (after 4 years 🤷🏻‍♀️).

Dinner: usually pretty simple - a Protein (last night was trimmed lamb cutlets with a dukkah crust, the night before chicken breast & gravy) & vegetables (green Beans, sugar snap peas, asparagus, broccolini & zucchini or cauliflower).

snacks: 3 of either macadamia nuts, grapes, string cheese, peanut paste, Protein Bar, left over Breakfast or similar

Activity 4 sessions of about 5 minutes (3pm, 4 pm, 5 pm & 9pm) of stretchers & resistance bands. Usually do this every day or a modified version of them.

There will always be days when we eat a little more of this & a little less of that, skip a meal because of the busyness of life, etc. like @GreenTealael referred to. Same with your activity. As long as you aim to do your best most days, it all works out in the end.

PS - Glad you’re back on track & feeling stronger about moving forward.

how do you make your oats? are they overnight? in a rice cooker? I am wanting to do something more simple for the weekends. Right now I am having a RXbar for bfast which is yummy! but I am starting to want oatmeal again lol

15 hours ago, BeanitoDiego said:

I'm transitioning to maintenance phase, so I don't have a typical day nailed down yet. But I aim for at least 80g of Protein, and usually end up getting 90-100g. My activity level is quite high with at least 60 minutes of exercise or training every day. Swimming, yoga, HIIT, walking or jogging with my PupTart, dynamic stretching, PT for the hurty bits, and strength conditioning are my primary activities.

All of that training allows me to go hiking, bicycling, backcountry camping, snorkeling, and SCUBA diving. I love being active and hope to keep it up for a loooong time 😁

You and I have similar starting numbers, HW was 297 and when I started my journey I was 270 and am 5'9.

What was your original weight loss goal? I am shooting for 190 but the way that I am losing weight I think I am going to surpass that.

What was your typical day in your weight loss phase? How long did it take to get there? Right now I am eating about 1000 calories, 100g of Protein, 50g of carbs, 25g of fat. I am not sure if I am eating too much, the scale says I am not but I also do not want to stretch out my stomach.

When did you start HIIT? I miss it so much but right now I just walk 35-55min a day (I know odd it just depends how long I can squeeze time outta my lunch break lol)

Sorry for all the questions LOL

16 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

6+ years post op:

I have a routine. I always starting and ending my day with a cup of tea. Everything in between depends on how hungry I am, however it is mostly liquids. For instance I didn’t eat today until 6pm because I was busy, so I won’t reach my Protein goal (I usually do) but I will still easily reach hydration goal.

Typical Snacks are fat/carbs:

nuts, cheese, fruit, Cookies, chocolates

Typical meals are mostly protein/carb combos:

-breakfast sandwiches (egg/bread)

-cold salads (egg, chicken, salmon/ vegetables/crackers)

-meat and potatoes (chicken, lamb, turkey/ mashed/baked/fried)

-soup

you eat Cookies? ! I havent let myself yet lol Its a slippery slope for me. Do you have a typical bread that you like to eat with your breakfast sandwiches.

Posted (edited)

58 minutes ago, AmberFL said:

I am still in the Weight loss phase, what type of granola do you eat? I am struggling to find that one that isnt extremely high in carbs.

What is this PB chicken recipe?! Sounds amazing!

I made my own granola in the slow cooker, just cooking on low for a few hours using egg whites, oats, half fat butter, fruit mix, nut mix, cinnamon powder and a small bit of honey plus vanilla essence. I am now using a shop bought one. All granola is going to have carbs but that doesn't mean you avoid it, just need a good balance.

The PB chicken I found here https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/peanut-butter-chicken but I substituted a bit so no oil, skinless breasts instead of thighs and I used a chunky Protein Peanut Butter (My Protein) instead of regular shop one plus I doubled up on the chili. I just put everything in to a slow cooker and left it for 6hrs. I got 10 or 11 servings out of the recipe instead of the 4 indicated in the recipe. Actually I just rechecked MyFitnessPal where I logged it all and it works out at 211 (instead of 241) calories, 7g not 8g fat, 9g not 14g carbs and 24g not 26g protein as I had double logged the tomatoes.

Edited by FifiLux

6 hours ago, AmberFL said:

you eat Cookies? ! I havent let myself yet lol Its a slippery slope for me. Do you have a typical bread that you like to eat with your Breakfast sandwiches.

Disclaimer: I don’t have slippery slope foods, so this may not work for you. I am a person who can have anything in moderation. Not everyone can do this and I fully acknowledge and never suggest this especially for people in the beginning. It just doesn’t work for everyone.

Yes I eat Cookies. But my cookie path is very narrow. I don’t like soft, iced, stuffed, loaded or kitchen sink cookies. I like biscuits, wafers and thins, etc.

As for bread, I knew very early that I would not give it up completely. I do eat regular types (baguettes, ciabattas, Bagels, croissants, etc) but often low or zero carb breads for balance. Also to be noted, I maintain a higher weight. It’s the trade off.

I am almost two and a half years post sleeve. At your stage I was eating around 800 calories I think, but if I've learned anything it's that we're all totally different!

Well into maintenance, my typical day is:

Breakfast: full cream milk latte. I have never eaten breakfast at breakfast time and never will.

Mid morning: one or two fried or scrambled eggs, depending on how hungry I am. Generally one.

Lunch: a salad with some Protein (last night's dinner meat, tinned tuna or deli meat - sometimes cheese). Or more often Soup - usually homemade and usually with either chicken or pulses for protein. Or occasionally, if I'm feeling really lazy and can take the sugar hit, 100g tinned baked Beans with cheese and hot sauce.

Snacks, probably three a day at this point: cheese (and usually a couple of crackers with that); 150mls [approx] full cream milk kefir or a kefir yoghurt; nuts (30g approx); seeds (20g probably); deli meat; fruit (I eat at least one portion of berries or an apple every day). I tend to keep lots of meat snacks in the fridge as they're filling and help me reach my protein goal.

Dinner: whatever I've cooked for everyone else but without the carb element, or just a tiny bit. Basically protein and veg - in that order. But that includes fried chicken, bolognese, casseroles, sausages, roast dinners, fish pie (no potato topping) - everything I used to eat before my sleeve.

Supper: I do most of my carb intake here. Toast and butter, porridge (oatmeal to you lot) with stewed fruit, crackers with butter (or cheese if I haven't cheesed out by then).

Exercise: I do a 1 hour aerobic exercise class 3 days a week. I walk between 2 and 4 miles every day and I jog about a mile once or twice a week instead of walking. I am still amazed by what my new body can do. I probably should do more.

This is my diet 90% of the time. I have lots of days when I stray badly off the path and eat chips (crisps) and occasionally chocolate. I also drink wine every weekend, which I accept is totally empty calories with no nutritional value. I just track everything and try to adjust if I can. I've had a couple of regains of a few pounds now (4ish), but so far I've been able to jump on those, ditch the rubbish (carbs mainly), up my exercise and get back to 140 or thereabouts. It's no problem at all - a couple of weeks of being more vigilant about what goes into my mouth and a few runs instead of walks. I really hope I can keep doing that. I may have to accept that my set weight is higher than 140 but I am loving it here!

10 hours ago, AmberFL said:

how do you make your oats? are they overnight? in a rice cooker? I am wanting to do something more simple for the weekends. Right now I am having a RXbar for bfast which is yummy! but I am starting to want oatmeal again lol

I really love my porridge. I initially began with instant oats - less coarse & easier to tolerate. I ate them from purée. Can’t recall when I transitioned to traditional oats. I do make them (oats, seeds dried cranberries & milk) overnight but I still cook them the next morning. I cook a little longer so about 4 mins in microwave stirring between & adding more milk. Then add yoghurt, more milk to a texture I like & then blueberries. If you add the yoghurt before cooking it curdles - not appetising.

PS - Watch some instant oats if you start there. They can be loaded with additives & other ingredients. Find ones where the only ingredient is oats.

15 hours ago, Spinoza said:

I am almost two and a half years post sleeve. At your stage I was eating around 800 calories I think, but if I've learned anything it's that we're all totally different!

Well into maintenance, my typical day is:

Breakfast: full cream milk latte. I have never eaten Breakfast at breakfast time and never will.

Mid morning: one or two fried or scrambled eggs, depending on how hungry I am. Generally one.

Lunch: a salad with some Protein (last night's dinner meat, tinned tuna or deli meat - sometimes cheese). Or more often Soup - usually homemade and usually with either chicken or pulses for Protein. Or occasionally, if I'm feeling really lazy and can take the sugar hit, 100g tinned baked Beans with cheese and hot sauce.

Snacks, probably three a day at this point: cheese (and usually a couple of crackers with that); 150mls [approx] full cream milk kefir or a kefir yoghurt; nuts (30g approx); seeds (20g probably); deli meat; fruit (I eat at least one portion of berries or an apple every day). I tend to keep lots of meat Snacks in the fridge as they're filling and help me reach my protein goal.

Dinner: whatever I've cooked for everyone else but without the carb element, or just a tiny bit. Basically protein and veg - in that order. But that includes fried chicken, bolognese, casseroles, sausages, roast dinners, fish pie (no potato topping) - everything I used to eat before my sleeve.

Supper: I do most of my carb intake here. Toast and butter, porridge (oatmeal to you lot) with stewed fruit, crackers with butter (or cheese if I haven't cheesed out by then).

Exercise: I do a 1 hour aerobic exercise class 3 days a week. I walk between 2 and 4 miles every day and I jog about a mile once or twice a week instead of walking. I am still amazed by what my new body can do. I probably should do more.

This is my diet 90% of the time. I have lots of days when I stray badly off the path and eat chips (crisps) and occasionally chocolate. I also drink wine every weekend, which I accept is totally empty calories with no nutritional value. I just track everything and try to adjust if I can. I've had a couple of regains of a few pounds now (4ish), but so far I've been able to jump on those, ditch the rubbish (carbs mainly), up my exercise and get back to 140 or thereabouts. It's no problem at all - a couple of weeks of being more vigilant about what goes into my mouth and a few runs instead of walks. I really hope I can keep doing that. I may have to accept that my set weight is higher than 140 but I am loving it here!

this sounds fanstastic!! I am eating around 1000-1100 calories. I cannot seem to cut anywhere without getting really fatigued and dizzy. I walk 5x a week nothing crazy a little bit of terrain but havent found time to work out outside of my lunch break yet. So I am accepting that I need those calories. I have been doing the same thing for dinner as you, eating what everyone eats just taking out the carb element. We both had similar starting stats.

Do you remember what worked for you at this stage? How long did it take for you lose the weight? Stalls? Any advice would be amazing! I never in a million years can imagine myself at 140! I am in disbelief I am at 226!

11 hours ago, Arabesque said:

I really love my porridge. I initially began with instant oats - less coarse & easier to tolerate. I ate them from purée. Can’t recall when I transitioned to traditional oats. I do make them (oats, seeds dried cranberries & milk) overnight but I still cook them the next morning. I cook a little longer so about 4 mins in microwave stirring between & adding more milk. Then add yoghurt, more milk to a texture I like & then blueberries. If you add the yoghurt before cooking it curdles - not appetising.

PS - Watch some instant oats if you start there. They can be loaded with additives & other ingredients. Find ones where the only ingredient is oats.

this sounds delish!