Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need advice! Thinking of doing gastric sleeve

Hi everyone!

I am just reaching out for some guidance. For those of you who have gotten gastric sleeve, do you think it is worth it? Those who have type 2 diabetes, did this control your blood sugars/improve A1c? I've never had surgery before, and I am thinking of doing this, but I am terrified of recovery and how my body will react with such a huge change. I am T2DM and have PCOS and weigh 250 lbs. I've always yo-yo'd with my weight and now I've found it very difficult to lose it, and I want to be able to feel good about myself again. I don't know anyone close to me who has done it, I've been relying on TikTok users telling the audience their story.

I am just over two weeks away from having surgery. I was diagnosed with PCOS in my 20s and have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and am prediabetic. Because I wanted the best shot at having those specific co-morbidities resolve, and because I have a family history of GERD, I decided to go with the RNY gastric bypass. But gastric sleeve is also a good surgery. Overwhelmingly, you will find that people who have these surgeries have no regrets other than wishing they had done them sooner. A small number will have complications, but even among those, most will have no major regrets. My brother had the sleeve 15 years ago and says without a doubt it saved his life.

This is a risk calculator that will also help show you the chances of various conditions resolving within 1 year for the various surgeries: https://riskcalculator.facs.org/bariatric/

This is a video from a bariatric surgeon that looks at both surgeries and how to decide:

I suggest watching all of Dr. Weiner's YouTube videos. He's very trustworthy and knowledgeable, and a much better source of information than TikTok videos! (Although I watch YouTube channels for several bariatric patients and do really love hearing the stories).

Here's one other video I really found helpful (along with all of Dr. Pilcher's videos):

10 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

I am just over two weeks away from having surgery. I was diagnosed with PCOS in my 20s and have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and am prediabetic. Because I wanted the best shot at having those specific co-morbidities resolve, and because I have a family history of GERD, I decided to go with the RNY gastric bypass. But gastric sleeve is also a good surgery. Overwhelmingly, you will find that people who have these surgeries have no regrets other than wishing they had done them sooner. A small number will have complications, but even among those, most will have no major regrets. My brother had the sleeve 15 years ago and says without a doubt it saved his life.

This is a risk calculator that will also help show you the chances of various conditions resolving within 1 year for the various surgeries: https://riskcalculator.facs.org/bariatric/

This is a video from a bariatric surgeon that looks at both surgeries and how to decide:

I suggest watching all of Dr. Weiner's YouTube videos. He's very trustworthy and knowledgeable, and a much better source of information than TikTok videos! (Although I watch YouTube channels for several bariatric patients and do really love hearing the stories).

Thank you so much for the information!! I didn't know there was a risk calculator. I have an appointment with my primary in a couple of weeks to talk it, so I am definitely going to look at these videos. ☺️

There's also a calculator Dr. Weiner has developed to predict how much weight you will lose (within a range) with each procedure. It does require you to give an email to get the results (which they send to you within a couple minutes by email), but in my experience they don't abuse this or spam you with anything. https://www.poundofcureweightloss.com/bariatric-surgery-weight-loss-calculator/

Drs Weiner & Pilcher are great. Lots of information of their sites & you tube channels. I’d probably avoid a lot of social media around weight loss. Bad advice, scary stories, etc. just to garner attention. I stumbled upon one that actually showed you how to purée burgers & fries to eat two weeks after surgery & how to eat around your surgery. Just horrifying! This forum is great. Supportive, encouraging & a wealth of experience. Was so helpful in the beginning & I still learn things about post bariatric surgery life.

Personally, the sleeve has been wonderful for me. Do I have a few little idiosyncrasies? Yep but my tummy was fussy & a bit sensitive about certain things before so nothing really different. I lost all my weight & more & have basically kept it off for 4.75 yrs. Never ever been able to keep weight off for any length of time even a month. Does it take continued work? Hell yes. This is a forever thing. Can you eat the same as you did before? No. But why would you? I mean that’s how you (& we all) ended up obese in the first place. That’s not saying you can’t enjoy things you used to. You’ll focus on how much of it you eat. How often you eat it & even look for healthier, more nutritious versions of those foods. You’ll work out a way of eating that is sustainable, doesn’t limit or restrict you & allows you to live & enjoy your life as you want.

Are there risks? Sure but there are with any surgery. They’re not common because the risks are very low (I read appendectomy is higher) & often are related to pre existing conditions. Sometimes issues are discovered before of after surgery because of the more intensive medical testing we undergo & then monitoring. Sometimes it’s just our own body & how it reacts which you can’t really predict. Most are easily remedied or manageable.

I didn’t have any comorbidities before my surgery (though they were very likely in my future) so I can’t share my experiences with that.

Do lots of research on reputable sites like those of the above doctors’ & here. List down your questions & take them with you to your surgeon. Ask for their statistics & experiences too.

All the best with whatever path you decide to follow.

I can’t speak on the diabetic side, but I had my Gastric Sleeve done 12/4/2023, and I don’t regret it one bit. Recovery was quick to my surprise. I was allowed to go home the same day of the procedure. Make sure you walk because the most discomfort comes from the air they pump you full with during the surgery. Walking helps it escape. I was feeling fine day 2. Day 3 I stoped taking pain and nausea meds. I retuned to work after 2 weeks. You’ll have a sharp pain in your side if you laugh or cough; don’t panic it’s normal and will go away. Just hold your side, it helps.

Pros:

- You definitely lose weight (down 50lbs)

- I sleep through the night, and it’s good sleep!!! I literally don’t even move. I used to toss and turn.
- My feet, and knees no longer hurt.
- My self confidence has increased.
- I can cross my legs and feel girly.
- I don’t feel limited because my size isn’t a thing anymore.
- Save money on food.

Cons:

- Not an easy fix (you’ll have to create good eating habits. I was a binge/emotional eater. Sometimes when I get bored or depressed I snack and then my stomach hurts)

- Lose skin (if that matters to you)

- Going out to dinner is a waste because you will only be able to eat maybe 1/2 cup of food if you’re lucky. (Leftovers will last you a week)

- Buying new clothes gets expensive!! (But feels amazing, so not such a con after all)

To be honest I wish I had done this sooner. I was impatient and went the self-pay route because I didn’t want to take the classes insurance requires of people, but if you are willing to wait I can see the benefits the classes can do for you. Good luck to you!!

I had just gone from pre diabetic to full on diabetic. This propelled me towards the surgery. I was prematurely old, walking with a stick and just about managing to keep house.

I am now energetic, independent and quite frankly blooming. My high blood pressure disappeared with in two months and I came off those meds. At 6 months out, I was back to prediabetic. 12 months out, I was no longer pre diabetic.

I had a rough ride early on. I had a very narrow new stomach. Eating and drinking were difficult. I have gained GERD which is a pain but its manageable if I eat and drink right. I eat out, drink alcohol and leave food uneaten. I have loose skin but I look great in clothes

I am overjoyed that I did this surgery. I fit in the world, nobody looks at me.

I also can't speak to co-morbidities other than some arthritis in my hips and knees. That's definitely better now but it wasn't my main motivation to have my surgery. I wanted not to become diabetic or develop any other weight-related disease.

There's a definite risk of developing reflux after a gastric sleeve whereas that risk isn't there with bypass so you need to take that into consideration. We all react to surgery in different ways and it can be impossible to predict accurately in advance so do discuss bypass with your surgeon too. They'll have up to date stats about the likely relative effects on your diabetes for sure.

The sleeve has been everything I wanted and more. My only regret, as we often say here, is not having it done 20 years earlier. I hope your surgeon can help you decide whether it's best for you.

I had the Duodenal Switch, which is different than the most common two surgeries being discussed here. I picked it because I had type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and triglycerides, sleep apnea, etc... I also picked it because I knew a purely restrictive surgery wouldn't work for me. Portion has never been my issue. Pre-op I was eating about 1000-1200 calories a day, for about 10 years, and did nothing but steadily gain weight. My surgeon said it was obvious I have a metabolic disorder, so I needed a metabolically strong surgery. I also didn't want to risk gaining weight back and the DS has the lowest rate of regain. But as a trade off it can cause more Vitamin and Protein deficiencies if not managed well and the diet is a bit different than the others post op because of our malabsorption. However, diabetes was my biggest concern and the DS puts about 95% of T2 cases in remission, and most stay that way.

Post op my blood sugar dropped to 82 within 24 hours of surgery and my high blood pressure normalized, so they took me off of my diabetes meds and blood pressure meds. I'm 3 months out and my a1c is 4.8 without medication!! My blood pressure continues to be normal without meds. My cholesterol and triglycerides are also normal without medication, which hasn't happened in decades!

All this to say---consult with a surgeon who offers ALL the surgeries if you can find one in your area. Talk to them about your reasons for wanting bariatric surgery and consider your options carefully. The sleeve surgery is amazing for a number of people, but it isn't right for everyone. The bypass is a fantastic surgery for certain patients, but again, it isn't for everyone. And the DS is a powerful surgery, but it definitely has a specific patient profile. All are great surgeries, but not all of them will be the best surgery for you. Only you and your surgeon can decide that. And don't be afraid to get a second opinion. I went to two surgeons before deciding on one (though both recommended the same surgery). I needed that extra reassurance I was picking the right surgeon and the right surgery. I'm so glad I did this surgery, I just wish it had been an option available to me when I was younger.❤️

I'm not losing a ton of weight ,but I am off ALL my medicine and my blood work is perfect :)