Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Road trips post op

I’m planning on a cross country road trip. Pre surgery, when I did those just had my trusty cheeze-its and whatever fast food was near me when I need to stop and charge. If anyone has any tips on what I should bring to keep me full or tips on some good munchies let’s hear them! Obviously fast food is out (for the most part) this time.

I won’t be leaving until mid February when I’m 3 months post op

TIA

Instead of snacking as you’re driving, try stopping & having a proper meal - salad, Soup, grilled/steamed fish, etc. At three moths you'll have a few more options. Even picking up some yoghurt or pack some Protein Shakes & have them in a park. It may take you a bit longer to get where you’re going but it should reduce your desire to mindlessly snack in the car. Remember that’s just head hunger - eating out of boredom as you sit in the car.

Travel safely.

I went on a road trip for the holidays at 2 months out. I took a giant lunchbox with me filled with Protein Shakes and ice packs, cheese and some other cold Snacks (I can recommend a fantastic lunchbox on Amazon if you are interested). Then I filled the top of it with some PowerCrunch Protein bars, Quest sweet chili protein chips, Paleovalley meat sticks (they weren't too dry) and Water flavoring packets (I like sugar free lemonade and the Jolly Rancher sugar free ones because I love sour things). I stopped every 2 hours to walk around and use the bathroom to ensure I was hydrating properly. And we stopped for 2-3 meals a day in addition to my shakes and snacks. It worked really well!! I didn't feel deprived at all. In fact, I felt better than I did on road trips before surgery because I stopped more often and hydrated better! Plus I was making wiser food choices.

Edited by ChunkCat

I would suggest eating exactly what you would eat if you were at home while on the trip, or as close to it as possible. Bring your usual foods, pre-portioned in small containers, in a cooler with lots of ice. Or if you have the budget for it, you can get a small fridge/freezer for your trunk that runs on your car's lighter plug. You can find ones on Amazon that are under $200 and can get to -4F in temperature. They also are great for grocery shopping trips in the heat of summer, so not a bad investment to consider.

Bring Protein supplements if you're still taking them along with a shaker bottle or one of those small portable blenders with a USB charger if you use powder. Don't forget some big jugs of Water so you don't have to rely on overpriced small bottles at the convenience stores. Bring hot food in a thermal food container for the first day and plan to heat meals in the microwave at your hotel in the mornings if you have one. They even make electric lunchboxes that can plug into your car's lighter that will warm your food and keep it the right temp for hours.

If you don't eat Snacks at home as part of your regular program, don't eat them just because you're on the road! Driving can be boring and lead to head hunger, so consider getting some audio books to keep you occupied.

i often brought the following on road trips/vacays during weight loss phase:

- beef Jerky

- frozen grapes and blueberries (if u bringing a cooler)

- chicharron/pork rinds (if your calorie goals allow it)

- Protein Powder

I second the suggestion of a car cool box/fridge. Opens up so many possibilities! Don't go with processed food unless that's all you can tolerate (our stomachs tell us what to eat 3 months out)! If you can go for fruit, cheese, deli meat, raw veggies and hummus then that will get you far. Good luck!

It is a brain game for sure on those road trips. There are a lot of Protein Snacks that are good. My last road trip I took Quest Protein chips with me, they hit the spot for a snack. As far as restaurant eating, and there isn't a healthy option, most restaurants will give you a burger wrapped in lettuce, or a grilled chicken sandwich and hold the bread/mayo etc. There are ways to eat healthy on a trip even going to McDonalds. I typically will find a sit down place if I need to eat lunch/dinner etc, even if it means driving another hour to the next town. Gives me time to get that leg stretch in and find something that I can eat that won't break my weight loss goals. I will say I was super worried about hunting last year, we always eat all the junk non stop, and meals aren't exactly great. I was able to keep everything under control, only junk I had were chicharrónes, and some sugar free Jerky. I kept a Protein Shake with me every day as some days we hunt through meals.

You could also make some Protein balls.

So easy to make and last ages. I brought a few with me for the times I have taken flights as they fit in my handbag.

https://thebigmansworld.com/protein-energy-balls/

On 1/29/2024 at 4:13 PM, FifiLux said:

You could also make some Protein balls.

So easy to make and last ages. I brought a few with me for the times I have taken flights as they fit in my handbag.

https://thebigmansworld.com/protein-energy-balls/

Oooooh they look so good and yes tiny enough for a handbag! They do seem to be relatively high in sugar so maybe one for maintenance as opposed to the weight loss phase?

11 hours ago, Spinoza said:

Oooooh they look so good and yes tiny enough for a handbag! They do seem to be relatively high in sugar so maybe one for maintenance as opposed to the weight loss phase?

I made them using Protein Peanut Butter and only half the amount of maple Syrup so very little sugar per ball.

I travel for work and I always bring a cooler with an ice pack. Usually bring Protein Shakes, bottled waters and some easy to transport Snacks (cheese, boiled egg, nuts, etc). Sometimes I make a grown-up version of lunchables in plastic divided containers. Just put some cheese, deli meat, veggies, fruit, etc in them. The cooler also comes in handy when I eat at a restaurant because my portions are so small that I always have leftovers!