Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2023 buddies

21 hours ago, kppk2005 said:

I’m right there with you. Mine is November 20th. Trying to figure out my pre and post op diets.

I am going to sit down tonight with a calendar and reread my requirements for both pre and post op.. I am going to mark dates and start making a shopping list of the things I need... I have started getting rid of my summer clothes since I wont be needing them next year...

Hey y’all! My dietician told me about this site and I’m thrilled to have this great resource at my fingertips! I’m driving to Alabama in November for VSG (my insurance won’t pay for any of this - Alabama had very “reasonable” self-pay rates). I’m nervous about the long drive home 2 days after surgery. Any suggestions are appreciated!

2 hours ago, Meisha said:

Hey y’all! My dietician told me about this site and I’m thrilled to have this great resource at my fingertips! I’m driving to Alabama in November for VSG (my insurance won’t pay for any of this - Alabama had very “reasonable” self-pay rates). I’m nervous about the long drive home 2 days after surgery. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Welcome!! You'll have to get really good at sipping on the road!! I'd be sure the doc gives you pain meds and nausea meds for the trip even if you don't think you'll need it. Grab a few insulated travel mugs (one for cold drinks and one for warm drinks) so you can decide what works best. A small pillow to put between your tummy and the seat belt so it doesn't press so hard on your incisions. Compression socks and frequent stops to walk around and prevent blood clots. And maybe a bag in case you throw up. Not everyone does but if you are stuck in a car it might be a reassuring precaution. And of course a few Protein Drinks and whatever you prefer to hydrate with so you don't have to shop for anything... When is your procedure?? Good luck!!

2 hours ago, ChunkCat said:

Welcome!! You'll have to get really good at sipping on the road!! I'd be sure the doc gives you pain meds and nausea meds for the trip even if you don't think you'll need it. Grab a few insulated travel mugs (one for cold drinks and one for warm drinks) so you can decide what works best. A small pillow to put between your tummy and the seat belt so it doesn't press so hard on your incisions. Compression socks and frequent stops to walk around and prevent blood clots. And maybe a bag in case you throw up. Not everyone does but if you are stuck in a car it might be a reassuring precaution. And of course a few Protein Drinks and whatever you prefer to hydrate with so you don't have to shop for anything... When is your procedure?? Good luck!!

Thanks! These are great suggestions!

I’m scheduled the week after Thanksgiving. I do have questions if y’all have answers/suggestions.

I’m looking to get new Water bottles - partly because all my bottles have wide mouth openings (allowing me to chug), partly because I have a mild compulsion to collect all the water bottles. 😁 Do y’all have a slow-release water bottle you suggest?

Belly bands - I’ve heard that the hospital won’t give me one before I go home, so I need to get my own. I’ve never owned/used one before. What should I be looking for?

What are you putting in your hospital bag? Since we’ll be driving to AL and then home again, I don’t want to have a bunch of junk I won’t really need. My dietitian (who also had this surgery), said I need to bring a notebook to log my water, but that’s about all I’ve been told to bring with me. I plan on bringing my iPad, phone, earbuds… and that’s as far as I’ve gotten.

Thank you for your help!

M

Yes!! Chunkcat, I’m so nervous I can’t sleep and I’m eating very little but drinking a lot.

14 hours ago, Meisha said:

Belly bands - I’ve heard that the hospital won’t give me one before I go home, so I need to get my own. I’ve never owned/used one before. What should I be looking for?

What are you putting in your hospital bag? Since we’ll be driving to AL and then home again, I don’t want to have a bunch of junk I won’t really need. My dietitian (who also had this surgery), said I need to bring a notebook to log my Water, but that’s about all I’ve been told to bring with me. I plan on bringing my iPad, phone, earbuds… and that’s as far as I’ve gotten.

Ohhh, I don't have any suggestions for a water bottle, but hopefully someone else will! I've just been using insulated cups with tops that you sip out of instead of using a straw.

I have a belly band but I can't recall where I got it from... I got it for my hysterectomy, it was great. My surgeon says I don't need one for this surgery but I'll probably still try it. The key is to not cinch it too tightly, you want to be able to breathe and move freely! Mine looks kind of like this: https://www.amazon.com/ORTONYX-Breathable-Abdominal-Postpartum-Postoperative/dp/B07CW2TFRQ/ But it isn't that one so I can't recommend it! Still, you want one that is long enough to cover a plus size abdomen. Be sure to wear a layer of clothing under it so nothing sticks to your incisions. I wore post partum underwear underneath mine, they come all the way up to my boobs! They are non restricting so didn't press on any of the incisions, I'll probably wear them again since I have them.

As for the hospital bag, I think I'm taking comfy, non-binding clothes, slip on shoes that I can wear socks with to walk the halls since they'll have me in compression socks, chapstick is one thing EVERYONE says to have! I'm supposed to take some clear Protein waters. Electrolyte powders so I don't get leg cramps. I have a binder with all my surgery stuff in it I'll take, it has sheets for logging Fluid intake. A long cardigan that will serve as a bathrobe because I'm always cold. A little pill crusher in case I can't get my pills down whole. Cell phone charger, phone, maybe my ipad in case I'm in there longer than a day. A little pillow for my tummy. That's about it, I aim to pack light! Oh a toothbrush, obviously. LOL

36 minutes ago, Girltown46 said:

Yes!! Chunkcat, I’m so nervous I can’t sleep and I’m eating very little but drinking a lot.

I feel you!! I started all liquids today after two weeks of a modified pre-op diet. I'll be on all liquids until the surgery and for a few weeks afterwards so I might as well get used to it! This is gonna take a bit of willpower...

My packet has just been sent to my insurance company for approval. I am getting nervous.. I have so far bought new PJ pants, pulled out my long grandma sweater that is soft and comfortable, and I have my slippers. I am thinking about getting some sipping broth, propel drink powder to have at the house.. I don't want to pre-buy too much but I don't want my husband to have to worry about too much with having to get the 3 boys everywhere...

back to thinking about what else I need...

Hi friends! 😁This is my first post on here, so I apologize if I have NO IDEA what I'm doing! 😅 My VSG is scheduled for 11/22...the day immediately before Thanksgiving. Who does that? lol

I figured if I use food as an excuse to not get the surgery at that time, then I'm probably not ready for it...plus, Yule/Christmas/what-have-you is the month after that, so if I use holidays as an excuse to delay surgery, it's gonna be a few months.

Originally, my surgeon wanted to get me in in September, but I was waiting for my EGD still (even though my surgeon ordered it originally, he then said he was fine with me skipping it...I still wanted to make sure I didn't have Silent Reflux or anything funky going on). Plus, I had a cardiac event monitor for 30 days in September and wanted to get THOSE results prior to surgery, AND I got married on (Friday 👻) October 13th, AND I have a major thing at work that I'm in charge of the whole week of November 13th where my presence is mandatory, soooo...11/22 it is!

I've waffled back and forth on whether to get VSG or RNY (my surgeon does not do SADI/DS at all), but I'm going with my initial gut feeling and sticking with VSG.

I imagine a lot of us have either already started, or will soon be starting, our LRDs - good luck, everyone! Magnesium & Potassium are REALLY helpful for leg cramps - that's something I learned when I did Keto ages ago and kept getting woken up by charlie horses.

1 hour ago, brandycsiz said:

My packet has just been sent to my insurance company for approval. I am getting nervous.. I have so far bought new PJ pants, pulled out my long grandma sweater that is soft and comfortable, and I have my slippers. I am thinking about getting some sipping broth, propel drink powder to have at the house.. I don't want to pre-buy too much but I don't want my husband to have to worry about too much with having to get the 3 boys everywhere...

Good luck on a swift approval!! I bought some sipping broths and some Protein Soup broths so I'd have plenty of variety. I don't want to have to rush and order things afterwards. Propel powder is probably good to have on hand for hydration. I have some of the ArmorLyte drinks too, you can order them on Amazon and they are pretty tasty. We were also told we can strain any of the Campbell's heart healthy Soups, so I may get a few of those eventually. I've made a grocery shopping cart for the pureed stage on Amazon so my partner can either order it for delivery or use it as a shopping list for going to the store, since I don't expect to feel like walking around getting groceries. Luckily we don't have kids, just cats who act like kids. LOL

1 hour ago, Girltown46 said:

Who’s your surgeon?

Dr. Pilati down in Cary at WakeMed. How about you?