Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2023 Surgery Buddies!

Lunchbag Letdown. Was scheduled for my RNY today at 2:15pm. Arrived at the appointed check-in time of 11:00am and sat patiently for a couple of hours with an IV started wearing a very drafty gown and see through blue booties. The surgeon dropped by to let me know they were running behind and it would be 2-3 hours longer as they were taking the RNY case before me next.

2-3 hours turned into 4 then 5, then I was advised an emergency case had come in and had 'stolen' my nursing team and my surgery needed to be cancelled for today. Now I'll wait to hear from the surgeon's office some time over the next few days to get a new date.

If there's an upside, the surgeon gave me a 'free pass' to eat whatever I want tonight and to just follow a low fat/low carb diet from tomorrow until my new date; I won't need to hop back on the Optifast liquid diet train again.

Yes it sucks, but it can always be worse - I wasn't the emergency case, so I'll take that as a win.

44 minutes ago, BeanitoDiego said:

“I'm sending you internet hugs and so many well wishes for tomorrow! It is rough at first, but every single day does get a little bit better

This is so true! I’m 2 weeks out as of tomorrow, and everyday there are huge strides.

One thing: dumping syndrome is no joke, so be sure to do what your medical team is telling you to do and don’t do something stupid like have a half-cup of Thai Soup broth with coconut milk in it—like this idiot did. (Me😬)

You are going to be just fine, @Danielle07!

7 hours ago, Victoria **** said:

You shouldn’t be experiencing a slow weight loss at only 2 weeks out, especially if this is the original bariatric surgery. Even with a revision, you shouldn’t be stalled (speaking as someone who has been). Looking at the ingredients in your meatball shake, though, I’m not surprised. The meatballs, ricotta and Parmesan are heavy, even though they’ve been blitzed. It sounds like you’re trying to move through the food stages to get to “regular” food again too quickly. This reminds me of a scene in an episode of “ER,” where a bariatric patient swore he was drinking his shakes. Turns out, the ingredients were pizza, an entire fried chicken dinner, and any kind of fast food you can think of, all blended in a blender. We all understand how it feels to be so desperate to get to solid-(ish) foods. The best thing we can do is follow the plan to the letter (and keep after the Constipation, that’ll weigh you down, too). Take care, and keep up the good work.

My surgery was on August 15 and my weight loss has been super slow too.

I’m following the plan to the . Isopure Protein Drinks 1-2 premeir Protein drinks and 64oz of Water a day. My starting weight was 210 and I’m barely at 197 now. Maybe some of us lose more slowly at different stages. I agree though, that blended meals like the one mentioned in the original posting is way soon to try a meal and sounds too heavy for a bariatric patient… at least this early on.

45 minutes ago, Andrea13$ said:

My surgery was on August 15 and my weight loss has been super slow too.

I’m following the plan to the . Isopure Protein Drinks 1-2 premeir Protein drinks and 64oz of Water a day. My starting weight was 210 and I’m barely at 197 now. Maybe some of us lose more slowly at different stages. I agree though, that blended meals like the one mentioned in the original posting is way soon to try a meal and sounds too heavy for a bariatric patient… at least this early on.

It was a recipe recommended by the dietitian and in the plan. I started at 348 and am down to 295. I was 303 day of surgery. I'm also 66 yrs old and at that age everything moves slower. I'm following my plan 100% with reco food items but can't eat as much as I'm supposed to. Eating 6 times a day via pureed or Protein drinks is a struggle. All I can manage is 2 Protein drinks and 1.5 meals whether chicken salad puree or tiny meatballs with spag sauce puree plus 48 on H2O. I'm day 15 post op and keep improving everyday.

I can't wait to see 210 - I'll get there sooner or later.

Wishing you great success!

1 hour ago, Peggy Anne said:

It was a recipe recommended by the dietitian and in the plan. I started at 348 and am down to 295. I was 303 day of surgery. I'm also 66 yrs old and at that age everything moves slower. I'm following my plan 100% with reco food items but can't eat as much as I'm supposed to. Eating 6 times a day via pureed or Protein Drinks is a struggle. All I can manage is 2 Protein drinks and 1.5 meals whether chicken salad puree or tiny meatballs with spag sauce puree plus 48 on H2O. I'm day 15 post op and keep improving everyday.

I can't wait to see 210 - I'll get there sooner or later.

Wishing you great success!

Wishing you much success too! It actually sounds like you’re doing great! Keep it up!

On 8/25/2023 at 9:20 PM, Angela Read said:

I'm freezing, been freezing since surgery. Even outside in 80°F weather I need a sweater. One week 2 days post op

Are you still freezing and have you checked your temp?

Yes, I was freezing the first few days back home. 108°F outside/ 75° inside the house. I even ran a low grade fever off and on, but nothing too concerning to call the doctor about. Hopefully, you are not freezing anymore.

18 minutes ago, Maia03 said:

Are you still freezing and have you checked your temp?

Yes, I was freezing the first few days back home. 108°F outside/ 75° inside the house. I even ran a low grade fever off and on, but nothing too concerning to call the doctor about. Hopefully, you are not freezing anymore.

Yes I realize I run a low grade fever as well throughout the day but yes I'm still freezing. I'm wearing wool winter socks and a heavy wool sweater.

On 8/28/2023 at 1:30 PM, Peggy Anne said:

Hi Penny,

I ended up with low potassium after surgery and had to stay in the hospital on those awful beds and few extra days and then told to go see my primary care doc, who is great. Love my PCP.

Eating is hard - just had chicken salad puree for lunch - it's all I can do to stomach it. Kind of gross.

I hope you can get your thyroid under control and soon. I would think it would play a big part in weight loss.

I only feel better when I drink my Protein Shakes otherwise I have no brain function nor energy. I actually felt good yesterday with extra energy, I was shocked. Today I'm a bit laggy because for whatever reason I'm not longer getting past 5 or 6 hours of sleep at night. I'm lucky because at 66, I'm retired and my hubby is very neat so there isn't much demand on me. I am trying to get back into crafting but that's hardly demanding lol. I have a end of Nov show to build stock for. I can take my time.

Wishing you well and not to hard of days at work.

Just think a year from now we'll be a lot smaller and for me new knees!!!

Hi Peggy Anne,

I just couldn’t do puréed meats or much of anything puréed, thankfully it was my 4th week and I survived on the eggs then cream Soups and ground sausage.
having meatballs with a brown gravy and mash potatoes for dinner.

I’m happy to say that it was my first full day away from home for dr appointments and I left at 9 and got back at 9 pm and I had

Breakfast was 1/2 small Wendy’s chili

lunch Popeyes 1 chicken strip with red Beans no rice small

Early snack dinner Jacks chicken finger and a small mash w gravy

Having a very light dinner so it was fairly easy and happy no problem with the chicken.

about to see where my calorie count is at

I’m happily retired for six years now.
what kinds of crafts?
I like to do some crafts I see on YouTube videos and am threatening to turn one of the spare rooms that I have a bunch of craft items in into my craft room but haven’t had time since we bought this house in February.

wishing you great success with your show!!!

I had the bypass on the 9th and I’m doing pretty good. Only issue is a seroma under one of my incisions but surgeons office says it’s normal and my body should absorb it. It is a little uncomfortable when I sleep but I slept with a waist trainer last night and that helped immensely!

I had the bypass on the 9th and I’m doing pretty good. Only issue is a seroma under one of my incisions but surgeons office says it’s normal and my body should absorb it. It is a little uncomfortable when I sleep but I slept with a waist trainer last night and that helped immensely!

17 hours ago, Angela Read said:

Post surgical acne anyone? GB on 8/16

Acne making its appearance on my jaw line and more oily skin

No acne, but a pimple which is odd at my age (56) and then I broke out in a rash at my thyroid area, asked my nephrologist about it and he said it isn't my thyroid so now I have no idea WTH it is???

I have had my surgeon say and a surgeon I am following on Youtube, Dr. John Pilcher out of San Antonio, Tx, say repeatedly about how the bariatric surgery somehow resets your hormones so I'd say it is probably "normal" to have hormonal changes affecting your body like a teen in puberty. I normally have very clear skin and it is usually in great shape for my age but it has been very dry since surgery (but I had also discontinued my thyroid meds at the time of surgery and have since re-started) and I feel like I look like my skin has aged 5 years since! IF this doesn't improve and the red blotch doesn't go away by next week I'm going to see a regular md and then a dermatologist bc I hate the look of it.

Another weird thing to consider: We are all probably eating more fats/meats than before surgery? Broths and cream Soups can have high fat contents, eggs, cheeses, etc. especially if it wasn't your "usual" diet. I rarely ate eggs/breakfast foods but have been waking very hungry and it is one of the few soft foods so I've gone through nearly 3 dozen eggs these last 31 days! I don't think I've ever eaten so many eggs. Ditto with chicken broth and cream of chicken Soup.

/for the pimple I just wiped it with alcohol, used my metal face pimple clearer thingy to scrape/pop it off and reapplied alcohol and it was dried up and gone the next morn.

p

5 hours ago, lmallard23 said:

that is wonderful news, welcome!