Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Am Not Really Seeing The Weight Loss I Was Expecting

2 hours ago, summerset said:

Hm.

Those are unrealistic expectations.

Surgery is no magic procedure that makes your TDEE 2000 kcal higher than it used to be.

I don't really think so, but I never said it was a magic procedure. I know it is a tool for long term. However they did warn me that after the 5 year mark, many do gain some or all the weight back - just so I am aware.

16 hours ago, LindsayT said:

I've lost 20 since surgery (4 weeks) and 15 lbs during the preop diet for a total of 35 pounds. That's about what you lost, right? I stalled around 2.5 weeks in that lasted well over a week. Hang in there. It will come off. And like someone said, make sure you're tracking everything, and I'll go farther and say, before you ever eat it. What if you focused on some nonscale victories. For me it was a smaller size piece of clothing or getting my shoes on without huffing and puffing. Just today, I put on a shirt that didn't fit prior to surgery. Your body is doing a lot of behind the scenes work that may not be reflected on the scale.< br>This is not an easy process, and you don't have to do it alone.

I saw my doctor today and got weighed just to see if the scale is different there than at home. I am 380, which of course I am happy about - but like I said, much of that was from the Optifast prior to surgery.

I am not going to focus on the scale, but like I said before I was expecting a bit more of a woosh of weight loss since having the surgery. As I said before, I lost 20 ponds in two weeks just doing Keto and moving a bit more - again I know that is Water weight and also that wouldn't continue, but it was a great feeling nonetheless at the time.

I agree with your points about nonscale victories and a month from now, I may be singing an entirely different tune on here. I was just thinking outloud and giving my initial thoughts per this thread.

Thanks for the support.

HM

14 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Great advice from the others above.

Yes there are many advantages the survey affords you. The other bonus of the surgery, which I think is most valuable, is the time & opportunity it gives you to change the way you eat. You introduce healthier, more nutritious foods. You discover healthier ways to cook food, better alternatives to old favourites, new flavours, portion sizes, nutrient content of foods, etc. You change your relationship with food, better understand how you ate & why you ate & better manage those impulses. (You can do this alone or do it with the support of therapy.) You understand more about what your body needs you to eat to function effectively versus what you just want to eat. You’ll learn what your body needs will likely be different to what someone else needs. And that there’s no one right way to eat. There’s only the right way for you.

Don’t know about you, but no other diet I was ever on gave me this opportunity & I’ve been on a lot of different ones over the years. I saw a diet as being restricted or being punished. As soon as the diet finished I went back to eating the same way as I did before. I didn’t learn a single thing in all those years of dieting. Since my surgery I’ve made quite a few changes to my eating but I don’t think I’m on a never ending diet to maintain my weight. I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything. This is just how I eat. It’s a change of how I think about & look at food & eating. And yes, I still enjoy food & the flavours, textures, etc.

I’m very grateful for all I’ve learnt & discovered since my surgery.

I have already reprogrammed my brain a bit just doing the Optifast for 4 weeks. I detoxed in a sense with all the foods I was addicted to and I don't really crave them now. What I crave is just eating solid foods and not liquids and soft foods.

When I do have some of those "bad" foods again, it won't be in the huge amounts that I used to it - because A: I will feel full sooner due to my stomach size now and B: I am learning a whole new way of eating in general.

I am never going back to what I used to be.

3 hours ago, Hey Man said:

I don't really think so, but I never said it was a magic procedure. I know it is a tool for long term. However they did warn me that after the 5 year mark, many do gain some or all the weight back - just so I am aware.

it's very common to have a 10-20 lb rebound weight gain after hitting your lowest weight. It's more your body "settling in" to its new set point. Happens to most of us in year 2 or 3. However, beyond that, it's up to you. If you continue to monitor your food intake and keep active, you'll be able to maintain your new weight. If you let old habits slip back in and start eating like you did before surgery, you'll end up gaining most of it back.

I am in the same boat. I thought I was the only one who has had issues losing pounds. But what I have discovered is that my size is changing. I have lost inches in all areas not just pounds.

I am a month out and lost 5 lbs since surgery. So I understand your frustration. I’m starting to think this was a very expensive mistake. We will see in another month what happens. I’m going back to just Protein Shakes and Water. Maybe that’ll help. Maybe it’s cuz I’m premenopausal or just getting older. Hormones are wonderful sometimes lol. Trying to be positive and work the program, Trust the process.

I will add a little math to the equation here:

You lost a bunch of weight pre-diet, of which, a very large portion of was Water weight. Once you get past that, it can be broken down into a simple calories in - calories out (this is too simplified, but it will get the job done).

I went to a website (https://www.garnethealth.org/news/basal-metabolic-rate-calculator) and made some random assumption as your gender/age/etc, and got a resting metabolic rate of just over 3100. Add on another 900 for activities during the day and you are at a nice round 4000 calories burned each day. If your intake is around 600 calories in, then you are at a 3400 calorie deficiency. A pound of fat is roughly 3600 calories, so everyday you should be losing 3400/3600 ~ .95 pounds. So just under a pound a day. That being said, water and other factors can make this fluctuate day to day. Also, all of these numbers are averages and vary from person to person. So if you are noticing less, then maybe your BMR is a little lower than 3100.

I was at 307.6 the day of my surgery, and 285.1 3 weeks out or 22.5 pounds down. Since then, I have been consistenly loosing about .6 pounds per day. Not every day, but on average. Stick with the diet your doctor/nutritionist gave you and give it some time. It takes 12-18 months for all of that weight to come off.

Hey Lipman how goes it? I lose 2-3 lbs a week down 30 lbs since surgery 32 to go
Surgery date 5/15
Take care and very proud of you

This is what is happening to me. I discussed it in my support group, they said it is normal. They called it a 3 week stall. Said it is very common. 14 lost pre surgery and 8 post surgery. They all said to keep doing what I’m doing and focus on getting in all the required Vitamins, Protein, and Water, and WALK.

On 6/1/2023 at 10:17 AM, Hey Man said:

Greetings,

So I finally had my sleeve surgery 3 weeks ago and while there has been weight loss, it hasn't really been what I expected.

I don't have unrealistic expectations, but I expected to lose more weight than if I just did it on my own without the surgery with little calorie intake and some activity like with doing Optifast prior. Or just eating healthy and going for a walk everyday - which I wasn't doing prior.

Perhaps it takes a month to really get things going, but I am hardly really eating anything when compared to the 4,000 calories+ a day I was eating that got me this way. I do eat a Breakfast, lunch and dinner, so I am not starving myself - but I am not yet in the solid food phase yet.

I have sort of reprogrammed my brain and I am not really craving the things now that made me obese. Now granted I know I JUST had the surgery and don't know how things will be 4 months from now, but I am just sort of wondering in the back of my mind if the surgery was really necessary in the sense that I maybe could have lost the same amount of weight if I finally just stuck to living a better life when it comes to food and my health.

I would appreciate any feedback or advice from anyone else where weight loss started a bit slow even with having a smaller stomach now or feedback in general.

Thanks!

HM

I can only speak for myself. That being said I’m in the US and I had to go on a “diet” before my surgery to yes decrease the size of liver. I had to stop stepping on the scale as it will drive you batty. Focus on your meal plan. 3 weeks is short period of time and it’s not expected to drop off that fast. Weight loss is only one goal. Water is one of your goals, and meeting your calorie and Protein numbers is another. Your comments are kind of unusual for someone 3 weeks out tho. Usually it’s about other things, nausea, not feeling hungry…etc. if you’re skipping eating that will effect your weight loss. If you follow your meal plan to the letter you will see the difference. You didn’t really mention what stage of your meal plan you are on now (liquids, soft, purée). Best of luck.

Just a thought about the hunger. Could it be head hunger vs. being hungry. I know around 3 weeks my head cravings were a beast. Every time I smelled food my brain would light up. As soon as I removed myself it would stop, usually. Maybe when those hungry thoughts come, go for a walk, if you can; drink something with some flavor, or do something else distracting. It can be a lot in the beginning.

10 months ago I had my sleeve (with a hernia repair) done… to be honest I had expected to loose more weigh fast than I have but I’m very pleased with my progress so far.

I’ve had LOTS of long stalls (weeks at a time) along the way … and I did manage to loose 57 pounds before my surgery.

My highest weight was 382… surgery day I weighed 325… this morning I weighed 247. It’s been nearly 25 years since I have seen this weight!

It’s taking me a while, but I’m getting there… I still have a way to go, but I can’t be mad about loosing 135 pounds (78 since my surgery).

About the hunger… for me, I notice when I’m not drinking enough I feel “hungry”. It’s more about hydration (for me) than hunger. If I stay hydrated - I don’t seem to get those hunger feelings.

Stick to your plan and track your intake (food and water) … it really does help. Best of luck.

On 6/1/2023 at 10:17 AM, Hey Man said:

I don't have unrealistic expectations, but I expected to lose more weight than if I just did it on my own without the surgery with little calorie intake and some activity like with doing Optifast prior.

Fun fact:

the most weight i ever lost in one month AFTER wls was the first post op month with 21 lbs lost (and i was about 225 at the beginning of said month).

the most weight i ever lost in one month BEFORE surgery was 25 lbs (and i started off that month at 180-ish).

so weight loss roughly the same-ish.

and i was eating roughly the same-ish (i.e., basically nothing lol).

i didn't expect to lose "faster" because it still boils down to calories in-calories out.

maybe if i ate less in that POST-op month than i did that PRE-op month, sure. but i can't eat less than "basically nothing"! thats just math. and science. surgery doesn't make me burn more calories. its all restriction-based (though rNy does have a malabsorption aspect to it...but i digress).

now the main difference is this:

i re-gained those lost 25 PRE-op lbs plus packed on another 55 for good measure over the following 4 years.

VS...keeping those 21 POST-op lbs off PLUS losing an additional 99 lbs on top of that over the following 7 months.

im 4.5+ years out now and have continued to (more or less) keep all 120 lbs off for over 4 years (FOUR YEARS! that still blows my mind...i have never lost weight before and even come close to keeping it ALL off for even 4 MONTHS).

yes, you will lose at the same rate doing diet and exercise as you would with surgery and it's associated physical restriction, IF (and that's a BiG IF) u continue with the diet and exercise.

which leads us to the age-old question: so why didn't u?

food for thought.

❤️

Edited by ms.sss

17 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Fun fact:

the most weight i ever lost in one month AFTER wls was the first post op month with 21 pounds lost (and i was about 225 at the beginning of said month).

the most weight i ever lost in one month BEFORE surgery was 25 lbs (and i started off that month at 180-ish).

so weight loss roughly the same-ish.

and i was eating roughly the same-ish (i.e., basically nothing lol).

i didn't expect to lose "faster" because it still boils down to calories in-calories out. maybe if i ate less in that post op month than i did that pre-op month, sure. but i can't eat less than "basically nothing"! thats just math. and science. surgery doesn't make me burn more calories. its all restriction-based (though rNy does have a malabsorption aspect to it...but i digress).

now the main difference is this:

i re-gained those lost 25 pre op lbs plus packed on another 55 for good measure over the following 4 years.

vs. keeping those 21 post op pounds off PLUS losing an additional 99 lbs on top of that over the following 7 months.

im 4.5+ years out now and have continued to (more or less) kept all 120 lbs off for over 4 years.

yes, you will lose at the same rate doing diet and exercise as you would with surgery and it's associated physical restriction, IF u continue with the diet and exercise.

which leads us to the age-old question: so why didn't u?

food for thought.

❤️

I had lost roughly 60lbs doing Weight Watchers several years ago. As soon as I made it to goal, I stopped. In 3 years I gain back 100lbs because I couldn't control my eating. I'm only 2 months out from surgery, so I can't compare. I just know I couldn't do it again without help...thus surgery. I've tried so many diets these last 3 years and failed every time. I knew I needed to do something different this time around.

On 6/24/2023 at 7:41 AM, TRAVELRN said:

I can only speak for myself. That being said I’m in the US and I had to go on a “diet” before my surgery to yes decrease the size of liver. I had to stop stepping on the scale as it will drive you batty. Focus on your meal plan. 3 weeks is short period of time and it’s not expected to drop off that fast. Weight loss is only one goal. Water is one of your goals, and meeting your calorie and Protein numbers is another. Your comments are kind of unusual for someone 3 weeks out tho. Usually it’s about other things, nausea, not feeling hungry…etc. if you’re skipping eating that will effect your weight loss. If you follow your meal plan to the letter you will see the difference. You didn’t really mention what stage of your meal plan you are on now (liquids, soft, purée). Best of luck.

I was eating 5000 or 6000 calories a day. So even without the surgery, I would have lost the same amount of weight now if at the last minute after doing Optifast - I decided to cancel the surgery was my point. I have already learned how to eat better and detoxed from bad foods. I am not going to back to how I used to be.

I don't regret the surgery at all, but it does give a perspective that I probably could have achieved the same result if I maintained the same discipline that I had to get the surgery.

That is where I failed with past diets. When you are "forced" to drink shakes for 4 weeks that is different than just trying to diet for 4 weeks.