Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad habits before and after WLS

I was able to break a lot of bad habits after WLS but I've developed new ones along the way. I'll share some of mine and I'm keen to hear yours too.

Some of the Bad habits before WLS:

1. Spending a lot of money on junk food (fast food, potatoes chips, chocolate etc) specially when I'm at work.

2. Procrastination when it comes to exercising and doing something about my weight. I've reached a stage where I've decided to just let myself go and do nothing about it

3. Avoiding social gatherings if I knew that photos will taken or if it involves any sort of physical activity

4. Eating before going to bed and while watching TV

I'm glad to report that I've broken all of the above and I couldn't be happier.

Bad (not necessarily) habits after WLS

1. Spending a lot of money on new clothes. I can't resist buying new clothes if it fits or I know it will fit me in a month time or so. Yesterday I went to the mall to buy tomatoes from the supermarket and ended up buying 2 polo shirts, 1 shirt and new jeans 🤣. I got the tomatoes of course.

2. I hate looking at old photos of me and I really don't like the way I looked in those. I didn't have this feeling before.

3. I take a lot of selfies and photos of myself now haha. I guess I'm making up for past time

4. I'm not telling people the whole truth when asked how I lost the weight. I only tell them about diet and exercise and even show them my latest cycling records but nothing about the WLS. If only told a handful of people about my WLS because I thought they could benefit from one. One of my friends is planning his WLS next month.

5. I don't like how certain parts of my body look after losing a lot of weight (I don't hate tho) like my armpits which have turned into caves, the loose skins on my belly, my scars. I guess I'm a bit self conscious about those.

Edited by omrhsn

34 minutes ago, omrhsn said:

1. Spending a lot of money on new clothes. I can't resist buying new clothes if it fits or I know it will fit me in a month time or so. Yesterday I went to the mall to buy tomatoes from the supermarket and ended up buying 2 polo shirts, 1 shirt and new jeans 🤣. I got the tomatoes of course.

5. I don't like how certain parts of my body look after losing a lot of weight (I don't hate tho) like my armpits which have turned into caves, the loose skins on my belly, my scars. I guess I'm a bit self conscious about those.

I really co-sign both of these! I'm fortunately more addicted to thrifting clothes than buying new, but I still have to stop myself and consider if I really really need yet another pair of jeans (I absolutely don't!).

And #5 - oh boy, yep. I love how I look in clothes and in turn, how clothes look on me (I had no idea that under all that fat was a pretty good "coat hanger" body), but out of clothes is another matter entirely. The loose skin isn't super bad, but it's enough that I'm self-conscious, and I'm now also conscious of how bony I am. I suspect I'm on the cusp of being told I'm too thin, despite still being in a normal BMI. I've basically swapped one body insecurity for another.

32 minutes ago, Smanky said:

I really co-sign both of these! I'm fortunately more addicted to thrifting clothes than buying new, but I still have to stop myself and consider if I really really need yet another pair of jeans (I absolutely don't!).

And #5 - oh boy, yep. I love how I look in clothes and in turn, how clothes look on me (I had no idea that under all that fat was a pretty good "coat hanger" body), but out of clothes is another matter entirely. The loose skin isn't super bad, but it's enough that I'm self-conscious, and I'm now also conscious of how bony I am. I suspect I'm on the cusp of being told I'm too thin, despite still being in a normal BMI. I've basically swapped one body insecurity for another.

Addiction is the right word to use in my case haha. Now that the weight loss has slowed down considerably, I need some sort of motivation / rewards to keep me going. That is where new clothes come in. I now dare myself to try new sizes and styles that I've never dreamed of wearing before WLS to see how it fits. Yesterday I tried size S polo shirts, size 32" slim fit jeans, size S slim fit dress shirt and all fit me nicely. I ended buying all. My wardrobe is full of cloth now and I need to stop.

As for insecurities, I'm really insecure about how my thighs look. I seem to have lost weight (a lot) from everywhere but my thighs. I need to do something about that for sure. I hope the weather improves soon so I can go back to cycling again.

1 hour ago, omrhsn said:

4. I'm not telling people the whole truth when asked how I lost the weight. I only tell them about diet and exercise and even show them my latest cycling records but nothing about the WLS. If only told a handful of people about my WLS because I thought they could benefit from one. One of my friends is planning his WLS next month.

Great list @omrhsn. I really relate to #1. You should see my credit card bills 😱. I always loved clothes & fashions & had a large selection but now. Clothes, shoes & bags oh my. I’ve filled wardrobes in three bedrooms & have many things I’ve worn once or am yet to wear. Quite terrible & a little embarrassing really.

#4 - I’m still selective as to whom I tell. If I don’t want them to know I usually say I saw a dietician & changed how, what & why I eat. All true. Though I did tell the doctor who shaved some moles (Nevis) off my neck today. We were talking about knee length boots so #1 again. 😆😆😆

Ohhhh great thread idea!!

Before surgery I had your typical bad habits. Eat too much takeout, binge at night, avoid mirrors at all costs etc.

After surgery I'd say that have become a little too attached to excersicing. I can be a bit obsessive when it comes to working out, but its also a good thing. I just can't imagine my life without it now!

2 hours ago, omrhsn said:

4. I'm not telling people the whole truth when asked how I lost the weight. I only tell them about diet and exercise and even show them my latest cycling records but nothing about the WLS. If only told a handful of people about my WLS because I thought they could benefit from one. One of my friends is planning his WLS next month

I feel bad that you think this is even a little bit bad! You are 100% entitled to keeping that private, especially when the majority of the population are very ignorant to the procedure & think it's a magic spell. If anything, id say it's a good habit to save yourself from any of that judgement! Haha

3 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Great list @omrhsn. I really relate to #1. You should see my credit card bills 😱. I always loved clothes & fashions & had a large selection but now. Clothes, shoes & bags oh my. I’ve filled wardrobes in three bedrooms & have many things I’ve worn once or am yet to wear. Quite terrible & a little embarrassing really.

#4 - I’m still selective as to whom I tell. If I don’t want them to know I usually say I saw a dietician & changed how, what & why I eat. All true. Though I did tell the doctor who shaved some moles (Nevis) off my neck today. We were talking about knee length boots so #1 again. 😆😆😆

Speaking of terrible and embarrassing, I just got a notification a few minutes ago that some of the clothes and shoes I ordered earlier this week have been delivered to my apartment this afternoon. Second parcel on the ways haha. Buying clothes online is so much easier when you are average / normal size (but no good on my pocket haha). I need to uninstall those apps (I tell myself that every time haha).

I'm working in a remote site and I've not been to the head office since March 2022. Everyone was shocked to see me and they all kept asking how I did it. I even got follow-up calls. Most of the people were worried that I got diabetes or seriously ill. I just went with the healthy diet and exercise story.

3 hours ago, qtdoll said:

Ohhhh great thread idea!!

Before surgery I had your typical bad habits. Eat too much takeout, binge at night, avoid mirrors at all costs etc.

After surgery I'd say that have become a little too attached to excersicing. I can be a bit obsessive when it comes to working out, but its also a good thing. I just can't imagine my life without it now!

Binge eating at night was really bad for me. Specially during lockdown when I was working from home. I'm glad that I got rid of that bad habit now. I still get the urge to do it, but I just drink some Water / tea or eat lettuce / cucumber and it goes away. It helps that I'm now working in a small town and food delivery usually stops before 10 pm. I don't keep any junk food at home.

I need to exercise more and start building muscles. Keep up the good work

3 hours ago, qtdoll said:

I feel bad that you think this is even a little bit bad! You are 100% entitled to keeping that private, especially when the majority of the population are very ignorant to the procedure & think it's a magic spell. If anything, id say it's a good habit to save yourself from any of that judgement! Haha

I totally agree with you that most of people are nosy and ignorant and will turn into instant experts when you tell them about WLS. It is just that I'm not used to keeping stuff from my friends. I've only told two of close friends and I'm glad I did. They were very supportive. One of them is considering having WLS next month 😄

The shopping splurges and selfies might be new habits but the others you listed - how are they "habits"?

I don't really buy clothes (I should lol My pre WLS habits were pretty generic ones that we all can relate to. Like mindless eating, eating when not hungry, constant snacking... Etc. The only thing I haven't changed is that I do still eat late at night but what changed is what I eat at night. I eat strawberries, an apple, blackberries... Etc (instead of chips) if I get hungry.

The main bad habit after WLS is, even though I don't eat much, I am still buying way too much food. My fridge, freezers, cabinets and food bins are stuffed to the gils. In fact, I buy way more now than I did before WLS. I used to have an empty fridge because I was always eating out: fast foods or restaurants. Now, I will cook something, make several servings and freeze it. It's great, yummy, convenient but I keep buying new food before those are gone. I hate wasting food too so I have so many items that are past the best buy date. It's terrible lol.

18 hours ago, summerset said:

The shopping splurges and selfies might be new habits but the others you listed - how are they "habits"?

Bad "things" I guess 😁

My bad habit im working on is stress/anxiety eating. Now im having to find new ways to deal with the stress instead. Luckily, im learning the difference between hunger and anxiety/stress.

Im only 11 weeks out, and can say im shopping my closet- but I can see the end of the clothes i have that fit coming soon- then i will have to shop. That can certainly be expensive as I will have to replace almost everything- (undergarments even!) so trying to hold off until that is necessary.

One new habit im working on is getting dressed “nicely” for the day- even putting on jewelry for casual outfit is something I had given up. I can wear rings and necklaces again! What a joy!

On 5/24/2023 at 6:34 PM, omrhsn said:

3. I take a lot of selfies and photos of myself now haha. I guess I'm making up for past time

Same. So. many. selifes.

20 hours ago, Sigh said:

My bad habit im working on is stress/anxiety eating. Now im having to find new ways to deal with the stress instead. Luckily, im learning the difference between hunger and anxiety/stress.

Im only 11 weeks out, and can say im shopping my closet- but I can see the end of the clothes i have that fit coming soon- then i will have to shop. That can certainly be expensive as I will have to replace almost everything- (undergarments even!) so trying to hold off until that is necessary.

One new habit im working on is getting dressed “nicely” for the day- even putting on jewelry for casual outfit is something I had given up. I can wear rings and necklaces again! What a joy!

I love that my jewellery fits. My wedding ring doesn't look like it belongs to a slimmer person and is squashed on my fat finger.

On the clothing issue, I bought a few key items in a size down from Ebay and thrift shops as soon as I got into the size before. I bought summer coats in winter and visa versa, this saved me tons of money. I still buy second hand but have found a store I like and their range fits me well, so I buy somethings from them as well.

Happy shopping