Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will I be able to return to work post-op?

:confused:My surgery is on Feb 14, 2008 (yes!!!!) but I don't know how long I'll have to take off. It is on a Wed. Trying to determine how much time I'll need to take off. It will be inpatient as I have BCBS of AZ and apparently that's they're policy. Can I have input from those of you who have already had it? Thanks much!

THanks, the sooner I can return to work the better. Luckly, this all falls under FMLA so if it takes 2 weeks thats ok. But then I might not have enough sick leave so I just might not be paid. I'm so excited!!

Hopefully, you'll feel well enough after one week, but everyone is different. I'm a little older ( 56) so my recovery was probably slower than someone that's under 40.

It is so important to remember that each person is so very different. I had my surgery on a Monday and was back at work on Thursday (could have gone back on Wednesday but had a lot of sick leave). Good luck with your band!!

Robin

I had surgery on Friday and was back on Wednesday, but didn't work a whole lot (office work). Moving around was still difficult (i.e. getting in and out of the car as I have a coupe). Some people will take only a few days - others much longer. Just remember that you're still not to lift over 5/10 lbs for several weeks after surgery.

I had a business trip the week after I went back to work (10 days post surgery) and it was exhausting. the walk from the gate down to pick the rental car bus nearly did me in. Would have to stop every so often and rest.

Mine was on a Wed. to and all I did was take the rest of the week off and went back to work that Monday. I was still a little sore but as long as your job doesnt require much you should be just fine. Good luck!:nervous

I took off 3 weeks - mainly because I could - with pay. I wanted to be on mushies before I returned to work.

I could have returned at about 10 days with absolutely no pain. Sooner, I think I would have had a little discomfort in the port area.

Best wishes.

I recently had my surgery (Nov. 29th) and I took a full week off of work. Just remember, everyone is different. I healed quite quickly and could have gone back a few days earlier, but I had a one week post-op appointment and it is a 4 hour drive for me to get to my surgeons office, so I just took the entire week.

I had my surgery on a Monday but went back to work Saturday (2nd job), I couldve went back to my main job around Thrusday. As long as your job isnt like lifting stuff and alot of moving then you should be fine. What helped was holding my port area at times when I felt uncomfortable... i shouldve wrap my stomach with bandage.

I had surgery Dec 5th and was supposed to go back last Friday, but couldn't because my tummy still hurt too much. (I am an ICU nurse so my job is pretty lifting/moving patients around intensive)...I will definantly be going back this Friday. If you have a desk job I imagine you could go back fairly quickly, but like other posters said, it is different for everyone. Take as much time as you can!:)

I think you will be fine going back on Monday, assuming you do mostly office work. My surgery was on Tuesday and I could've gone back on Saturday, had it been a workday.

I just got banded Thursday the 13th, and went back to work on Monday the 17th for about 2/3 of the day. Worked over 1 hour on Tuesday, and worked 10 hours today. But, I work at a desk, it makes a huge difference on what you do. I also had a textbook surgery, no problems. I didn't have alot of sick time, it is a fairly new job.

If you have the time, take it to heal as best you can! Good Luck!

Jodie

I was banded on a Thursday and returned to work on Tuesday. I get no sick leave -- another couple of days would have been nice but it was definitely doable. Good luck!

I went back to work in 6 days. I am a therapist in the public school system, so I'm on my feet alot. I was tired, but I hated sitting at home