Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm getting so frustrated, 7 months out and almost 2 months stalled

On 4/10/2023 at 9:12 AM, SuziDavis said:

My stall Finally Broke!!!! It was just over 2 months.

Fantastic!! Great news! Now back to losing weight and winning in your journey!

On 04/04/2023 at 01:50, Char9196 said:

I’m nearly 9 month post op and have been stuck between 89.15kg and 89.85 kg for about 6 weeks. Getting paranoid that I’m eating too much:/ I’m tracking my calories and it varies between 1800-2000 a day. Does anyone else find there restriction is more known on certain foods like meats etc?

My clinic did metabolic testing and my Max calories to maintain was 1587. I was pissed at the years of 1800-2000 calorie recommendation from experts when less than 1600 was what I needed to maintain!!

I hate to say this, but 1800 calories a day is too much unless you are doing really strenuous exercising. I can maintain my 150 plus pound weight loss at about 1000 to 1200 calories a day, and I currently weight about 160, I am 67 years old and have had no skin removal. My doctors feel that if I did, I would be around 145 to 150. But I need new knees and there is no way I am going to have more elective surgery. But If I eat 1800 calories a day, I gain weight. Fast. Like in a couple days.

And yes, there IS more restriction in eating chicken, and fish and other meats. I eat more cheese and dairy than I probably should. But it works for me. I also eat eggs. I make sure at least 2 meals a day have a simple Protein like eggs, or chicken or fish, and the occasional beef meal. I happen not to eat shellfish or pork. If I have oatmeal for Breakfast, I make sure to have a yogurt for a midmorning snack. I eat few processed carbs and keep my Pasta, rice or bread to very very low amounts. Protein, vegetables, fresh fruits. This morning I am having my coffee then, fresh watermelon and scrambled eggs with some shredded cheese.

Get back to basics and re check with your doctor or nutritionist about calories. Frankly I rarely if ever count calories; but I know what I am eating and what I can eat to maintain my weight loss.

Best of luck and healthy eating to you !

23 minutes ago, BriarRose said:

I hate to say this, but 1800 calories a day is too much unless you are doing really strenuous exercising.

It really does depend on the person. We are all built differently and have different metabolisms. Some need 1000 cals to maintain, others need 2500+.

I am 5’2”, 50 yr old female and I weighed 118.6 lbs this morning. I can totally maintain this weight at 1800 cals a day. I only do dedicated exercise about 1-3 times a week for about 30-45min. Been like this for the past 2+ years, and have pretty much stayed within the 115-120 lbs range the whole time.

When I was exercising daily back in the day, I could easily pack in 2300+ cals a day.

im 4.5+ years out.

p.s. I also had skin removal at about a year post op, but that only removed 400g off the scale 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by ms.sss

2 hours ago, BriarRose said:

I hate to say this, but 1800 calories a day is too much unless you are doing really strenuous exercising. I can maintain my 150 plus pound weight loss at about 1000 to 1200 calories a day, and I currently weight about 160, I am 67 years old and have had no skin removal. My doctors feel that if I did, I would be around 145 to 150. But I need new knees and there is no way I am going to have more elective surgery. But If I eat 1800 calories a day, I gain weight. Fast. Like in a couple days.

And yes, there IS more restriction in eating chicken, and fish and other meats. I eat more cheese and dairy than I probably should. But it works for me. I also eat eggs. I make sure at least 2 meals a day have a simple Protein like eggs, or chicken or fish, and the occasional beef meal. I happen not to eat shellfish or pork. If I have oatmeal for Breakfast, I make sure to have a yogurt for a midmorning snack. I eat few processed carbs and keep my Pasta, rice or bread to very very low amounts. Protein, vegetables, fresh fruits. This morning I am having my coffee then, fresh watermelon and scrambled eggs with some shredded cheese.

Get back to basics and re check with your doctor or nutritionist about calories. Frankly I rarely if ever count calories; but I know what I am eating and what I can eat to maintain my weight loss.

Best of luck and healthy eating to you !

i agree especially this early in the "journey"

I have been in a stall for 12 months 😜

5 hours ago, SleeverSk said:

I have been in a stall for 12 months 😜

lol. i've been here for what seems like forever and that's the first time i read that! Love it.

i kinda like the idea now that i've been in a "stall" for 4 yrs lololzzzzz

Edited by ms.sss

I eat more now than I did when I first stabilised. Then I ate about 1300 calories & did for about a year. I eat about 1500 now & have been pretty consistent at my weight (since we sorted out my HRT malabsorption issue) at about a kilogram more. Before surgery I could barely lose a kilo eating 900 calories so I love that the surgery boosted my metabolism.

As most know I don’t ‘exercise’. Just stretches, use resistance bands & try to be more active in my everyday life. I did sit-ups for a while but had to give them up because of a retinal issue. Honestly even when I was doing 100 sit ups a day I was barely burning 30 calories so even less now. According to one of those online calculators my BMR requires an intake of about 1500 calories for someone my age, height, weight & activity level. I only discovered that a few months back & some time after I settled at my current calorie intake so the calculator was pretty much on the mark. It would be higher of course if I was younger, taller, weighed more &/or was more active & other factors too. As @ms.sss said it really does depend on the person. You just have to find out what works & is best for you.

I also don’t count calories or weigh my food every day just do random checks to keep myself honest. And I haven’t had skin removal either.

One thing that helped with my stalls is to discontinue sugar free powders such as crystal light. Drink straight Water and plenty of it. It seemed to have pulled me out of multiple stalls.

On 4/10/2023 at 9:12 AM, SuziDavis said:

My stall Finally Broke!!!! It was just over 2 months.

whoohoo!!!! Such a relief for you i'm sure!!! Congrats!

On 8/11/2023 at 4:00 PM, NCL04321 said:

whoohoo!!!! Such a relief for you i'm sure!!! Congrats!

It was, now I know that I am at the point of only losing about 2 pounds a month... and live in an almost constant stall. It's great... 😑

13 minutes ago, SuziDavis said:

It was, now I know that I am at the point of only losing about 2 pounds a month... and live in an almost constant stall. It's great... 😑

ugh that is so frustrating. Keep moving in a positive ( or is it negative) 🤣 direction! As long as you are still losing even though it is slow, you are still losing.

My stall finally broke! I’m 4.5 months out of GSV surgery and have lost 62 lbs. Someone on here once mentioned to cheat and eat a few more carbs. I did that and I started consuming more calories and my 2 week stall finally broke. Don’t know how much the carbs had to do with it but I think I was consuming so few calories that my body was in starvation mode. Upped the calories to about 700/day and that worked! I know we are all afraid to overeat or consume too many calories, but make sure you are consuming enough!!