Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I already eat almost nothing, how will this help me?

Hi everyone, I am due to have my initial consultation in two weeks. As it is I honestly eat very very little due to a digestive disorder. Will this surgery really help me do you think?

I had a gastric bypass because of medical issues. I had a fundolipication that had failed after about 8 years ago. This left my esophagus in an L shape & made it hard for food to go down.
My surgeon is one of the top Thorasic surgeons in the country. He told me to get all my info on the internet 🙄 He said that a Roux n y would permanently fit my problem.
Because it was a medical problem & not just to loose weight I didn’t have to do all of the things weight loss people do. I did loose 70 pounds then put 15 back on. I think my body has settled on the weight that it is happy at. I know if I go over that my digestive tract will be unhappy.

Can you better explain what you mean by "help me"? Do you need to lose weight? How much? When you say you eat very little, do you know how many calories you're consuming now? Do you know your Resting Metabolic Rate? Do you exercise? What types and how much? Do you have any other medical conditions other than your digestive disorder? Especially disorders that impact your metabolism such as PCOS, Hypothyroidism, Diabetes, etc?

Sorry for all the questions, but details matter.

Wow, there's clearly more to this than I had considered! I hope to lose around 30kgs, I eat one small meal a day and will usually have one snack, I haven't counted calories nor do I know my MR, I rarely exercise (very sore joints), I have an exocrine disease and some of my meds are renouned for weight gain. I suppose I wonder if moving ahead with the operation will actually help on my circumstances.

Have you discussed your desire to lose weight & your interest in bariatric surgery with your endocrinologist? Are they aware of how little you eat now which must be a concern with your malabsorption issues.

Unfortunately, the surgery won’t stop the weight gain side effect of the meds you have to take. Medications are one of the causes behind weight regain after surgery. Are there alternative meds you could take that don’t cause an increase of appetite/weight gain?

Malabsorption issues are a possible side effect of weight loss surgery which would only add to your existing situation. Being aware of your nutrient intake & meeting Protein goals is a lifelong consideration for everyone after weight loss surgery. Many will always need to take Vitamins to supplement their intake via food.< br />
Just some things to consider.

I also thought I ate "very little" at the time I signed up for the program and start the process but when I started logging everything I ate, the areas for improvement were very clear. I also have the issue of being a very small person whose maintenance calories are only 1500; 3 meals a day that are "average sized" to a person of normal stature was always going to be too much for me. It's also common for people with weight issues to think they EAT very little but are also drinking a lot of calories throughout the day and don't count those because it's not "food". juice, sweetened coffee with cream, sodas, milk...those are all calories, and it would be beneficial if you're one of the people who drinks their calories to start treating those things as food in your mind, not beverages.

I hate saying this but most of us pre-surgery probably thought we ate much less than we did, and quantity isn't the only thing that matters: especially when we try to space out our meals we often find ourselves eating more calorie-dense food when we do finally eat.

If you have decided to start a relationship with a surgeon to see if it would work for you, this needs to be something you discuss with them during your first visit. One of the first things they're going to ask you to do is keep a food journal and the best thing you can do for yourself is be brutally honest so they and you have an accurate picture of what you are ACTUALLY consuming, and being honest about your portion sizes is a huge part of that.

What I learned, is it wasn't about how much I was eating, but what and when I was eating.

I think I eat more often now than I ever did before. I used to eat late at night when I finally had free time, and now I eat through the day, like a normal person. I ate very little Protein before, which was a big problem.

You'll see.

I wanted to wait to respond until I could find the literature to back this.

These procedures do not work solely through physical restriction/malabsorption of what you eat (that is part of it but a surface level reason), there are hormonal changes that occur.

Not all of the ways that Bariatric surgery works is known but here’s what has been proven: Cellular changes to the gastrointestinal tract occur post surgically that are significantly different to a pre surgical obese people. One difference between your current GI tract and one of a post Bariatric person is the increased amount of active and local GLP-1 positive cells.

Because of the (controlled) injury that happens during surgery, some of the cells are reprogrammed to permanently change the gastrointestinal track the lining into more Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 (GLP-1) positive cells. GLP-1 is responsible for many things but most notably here for regulating glucagon/insulin balance (glucose homeostasis) & delayed gastric emptying. GLP-1 is found in other places besides the the GI tract. It’s also found in the central nervous system where it help regulate the feeling of satiety.

There are other hormonal changes (gherlin) however I focused on GLP-1 because new classes of diabetes/obesity medications called GLP-1 agonist have been very popular lately for their ability to mimic the hormonal effect of naturally occurring GLP-1. But once you stop taking those, the hormonal changes will likely revert. But the post surgical changes are permanent. No matter how much you diet, you will likely never be able to spontaneously create more GLP-1 positive cells that aid in glucose homeostasis.

I hope that helps ❤️

Edited by GreenTealael

It is also important to remember that weight loss surgery is not a quick fix and requires significant lifestyle changes, including a healthy diet and regular exercise, to achieve and maintain weight loss. Your healthcare provider can help you develop a comprehensive plan for long-term success after surgery.
In general, prior to surgery, your healthcare provider may recommend a low-calorie, high-protein diet to help prepare your body for the surgery and promote healing afterward. This may include lean Proteins such as chicken, fish, and tofu, cucumber sandwich recipe as well as vegetables and fruits.
It is important to avoid high-fat and high-sugar foods, as well as foods that are difficult to digest, such as fried or greasy foods, tough meats, and raw vegetables. Additionally, you may be asked to avoid caffeine and alcohol in the days leading up to surgery.
Make sure to follow your healthcare provider's instructions closely and notify them of any changes in your health or diet prior to surgery.

Edited by Joe Suarez

Seeing a surgeon is a very good place to start. They will be able to give you more of an idea if this procedure will work for you. After I had my consult with the surgeon I saw my dietician. We went through what I was eating and she made the comment that I didnt eat much. Problem was that I ate 100% carbs. I did no exercise either as my body was not able to manage any sustained physical movement.

This whole process is about learning and doing what actually works for us and our bodies. I am so grateful that the operation gave the me the ability to attack my mobility issues and re think what I was putting in my mouth. Hope that you can turn things around and be a healthier you.

On 2/26/2023 at 2:16 PM, 100+ said:

Wow, there's clearly more to this than I had considered! I hope to lose around 30kgs, I eat one small meal a day and will usually have one snack, I haven't counted calories nor do I know my MR, I rarely exercise (very sore joints), I have an exocrine disease and some of my meds are renouned for weight gain. I suppose I wonder if moving ahead with the operation will actually help on my circumstances.

I had this problem. I was unbanded 1.5 years ago and gained 150 pounds in that time. I ate very little and still gained weight. The nutritionist said it was too little and I was essentially starving my body so when I did eat, I essentially holding on to every calorie. I started the liquid diet 3/11 and have to have Optifast 5 times a day plus a meal and I've alresdy lost 16 pounds. I agree with the person who said it's not about how much. It's what and when you eat that matters. Trust the process. I will have gastric bypass on April 13th.

Edited by JS1982