Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications 11 yrs after surgery

Hello...I had gastric bypass surgery in October of 2012. Biggest mistake of my life. I got to my goal weight in 2014. I felt pretty good. All of a sudden I started waking up several times a night with severe panic attacks (I had been suffering from this prior to surgery). I was on the right meds for this and they were manageable. All of a sudden they came back with vengeance. I asked my med doc what was happening and she said she didn't know how to help me. Yes, a med provider said she couldn't help me and that the meds I were on were working before. So this shocked me and I was on the search for another doctor. Was having a real difficult time finding someone to help me. I finally found one and what a strange person he was. He was arguing with my primary doc about what meds I should be on. It went on too long. My attacks got more intense during the night. Then they began during the day. It was nonstop anxiety with depression. I joined a CBT program because I became suicidal. The psychiatrist with the program noticed right away that I had had gastric bypass. He knew immediately what was happening. My meds weren't absorbing. He put me on a liquid medication. One that made me gain weight in the first place (ugh). It took a while for the liquid med to work so I was suffering badly. It was hard handing on. CBT program was done and I had to check myself in for my depression and anxiety. They wanted to send me to the CBT program. I was like...I just finished it! Went home to suffer some more. I was losing more weight because everytime I ate, my anxiety got worse. Never will understand that and no one can explain that to me to this day. I would start shaking after I ate and anxiety is got very strong. It still happens. Months later I had a heart attack. 3 stents. I couldn't believe all this was happening. I finally found a great med provider and therapist. On a different liquid medication but my health has worsen. I have IBS so badly, lost a lot of hair. I'm taking my Vitamins and Protein but still losing hair. My mental state is worse then it ever was. I was handing and living with my mental health before surgery and now worse then ever. I had this surgery because I was 80 pds overweight. I had had my 1st heart attack before surgery and my primary doc said I should have the surgery. Worse decision of my life. Sorry for long story but I just want to know if anyone is having these same complications. I went back to my gastric surgeon and she said Gastric bypass doesn't affect your meds and because I had gained 8 pds back, she rudely said..."well you're absorbing something" and looked me up and down. At that point I was done with her. This has been a nightmare

I have not gone through any of this before. Just wanted to say how sorry I am. Your story breaks my heart. You thought you made this decision for all the right reasons & then something like this comes up years & years later.
I pray this can all be resolved soon & that a doctor can figure out what you need to make you whole again.

med absorption can definitely be an issue. I would think they could find SOME med that would work for you - you're certainly not the only person with anxiety and depression who's had weight loss surgery. I'm sorry that they don't seem to be willing to work with you on this.

I'd be surprised if your heart issues are related to your bypass surgery. Plus you said you had your first heart attack before you even had the surgery. I'm thinking it's unlikely those two things are related.

I wonder if the Hair loss could be related to your stress. That can definitely cause hair loss for some people.

Edited by catwoman7

4 hours ago, toodlerue said:

I have not gone through any of this before. Just wanted to say how sorry I am. Your story breaks my heart. You thought you made this decision for all the right reasons & then something like this comes up years & years later.
I pray this can all be resolved soon & that a doctor can figure out what you need to make you whole again.

Thank you 😊

So sorry you’ve been experiencing this. It makes me so angry for you that much of what you have experienced could have been prevented right from when you had your bypass surgery. Your surgeon should have gone through your medications, explained about absorption issues with a bypass so you could discuss alternative medications with your prescribing doctor. I’m also cranky it took so long for doctors to identify that malabsorption was causing your meds not to work. And I’m cranky that you’ve been unable to find support & answers from medical professionals.

I wonder if you are are now in a viscous cycle of anxiety & anxiety causing experiences. Anxiety meds are known to cause an increase in appetite & weight gain & your anxiety increases when yiu do gain weight. The anxiety causes stress responses in your body like IBS & Hair loss causing more anxiety. You’re not being supported by your medical community increasing your anxiety so you need their help more but aren’t getting it making you more anxious, stressed & frustrated. Etc.,, etc.

Like @catwoman7, I too think your heart issues were more likely caused by your pre surgery status & lifestyle not the bypass.

I hope you soon find some doctors who will actually work together to support you & find solutions or ways to better manage your mental & physical health issues.

All the best.

Edited by Arabesque

2 hours ago, Arabesque said:

So sorry you’ve been experiencing this. It makes me so angry for you that much of what you have experienced could have been prevented right from when you had your bypass surgery. Your surgeon should have gone through your medications, explained about absorption issues with a bypass so you could discuss alternative medications with your prescribing doctor. I’m also cranky it took so long for doctors to identify that malabsorption was causing your meds not to work. And I’m cranky that you’ve been unable to find support & answers from medical professionals.

I wonder if you are are now in a viscous cycle of anxiety & anxiety causing experiences. Anxiety meds are known to cause an increase in appetite & weight gain & your anxiety increases when yiu do gain weight. The anxiety causes stress responses in your body like IBS & Hair loss causing more anxiety. You’re not being supported by your medical community increasing your anxiety so you need their help more but aren’t getting it making you more anxious, stressed & frustrated. Etc.,, etc.

Like @catwoman7, I too think your heart issues were more likely caused by your pre surgery status & lifestyle not the bypass.

I hope you soon find some doctors who will actually work together to support you & find solutions or ways to better manage your mental & physical health issues.

All the best.

Thank you fir your kind words and concern. It's been really frustrating. I almost wish I could have all my meds liquid. Yes, heart disease runs deeply in the family but I think it's weird that my primary told me to get it since I had a heart attack. Then I have a serious heart attack after the surgery. I would not have had it if I knew about my psych meds not working. The anxiety caused my 2nd attack. I've had 2 more since then. So 4 total. I want my stomach back : (

This makes me second guess my decision. Is this common? I don’t want to make a mistake. Anxiety issues are absolutely terrible and I hope you have found something that works

56 minutes ago, rjac389 said:

This makes me second guess my decision. Is this common? I don’t want to make a mistake. Anxiety issues are absolutely terrible and I hope you have found something that works

If you have doubts at any time for any reason, pause your surgery until you feel the time is right. I asked my surgeon what the stats were and found my up and coming sleeve surgery was so much safer than the knee replacement that I also need.

3 hours ago, rjac389 said:

if you mean common as there are sometimes absorption issues with meds and therefore the dosage needs to be adjusted or you'll need to be switched over to another med - then yes, common. If you mean common in that WLS amplifies anxiety issues or causes heart issues, then no.

10 hours ago, rjac389 said:

Some people have success with it. Just make sure you asked them about your current meds and if they get absorbed. I wasn't told that and they denied it when I asked them. Most med docs know this happens

On 02/16/2023 at 04:48, rjac389 said:

If sleeve is an option for you I have had no problem absorbing anxiety medication and adhd medication post gastric sleeve but as summerseeker said if you have any doubts don’t hesitate to hit pause - it’s a life time commitment and worth the few extra months to throughly investigate your concerns.

And to the OP I’m so surely you are experiencing so much and so frustrated on your behalf like arabesque that your bypass surgeon and prescribing doctors did not offer you competent advisory to prevent//better treat these issues. Wishing you receive peace.

On 02/15/2023 at 16:22, Mia2515 said:

Hello...I had gastric bypass surgery in October of 2012. Biggest mistake of my life. I got to my goal weight in 2014. I felt pretty good. All of a sudden I started waking up several times a night with severe panic attacks (I had been suffering from this prior to surgery). I was on the right meds for this and they were manageable. All of a sudden they came back with vengeance. I asked my med doc what was happening and she said she didn't know how to help me. Yes, a med provider said she couldn't help me and that the meds I were on were working before. So this shocked me and I was on the search for another doctor. Was having a real difficult time finding someone to help me. I finally found one and what a strange person he was. He was arguing with my primary doc about what meds I should be on. It went on too long. My attacks got more intense during the night. Then they began during the day. It was nonstop anxiety with depression. I joined a CBT program because I became suicidal. The psychiatrist with the program noticed right away that I had had gastric bypass. He knew immediately what was happening. My meds weren't absorbing. He put me on a liquid medication. One that made me gain weight in the first place (ugh). It took a while for the liquid med to work so I was suffering badly. It was hard handing on. CBT program was done and I had to check myself in for my depression and anxiety. They wanted to send me to the CBT program. I was like...I just finished it! Went home to suffer some more. I was losing more weight because everytime I ate, my anxiety got worse. Never will understand that and no one can explain that to me to this day. I would start shaking after I ate and anxiety is got very strong. It still happens. Months later I had a heart attack. 3 stents. I couldn't believe all this was happening. I finally found a great med provider and therapist. On a different liquid medication but my health has worsen. I have IBS so badly, lost a lot of hair. I'm taking my Vitamins and Protein but still losing hair. My mental state is worse then it ever was. I was handing and living with my mental health before surgery and now worse then ever. I had this surgery because I was 80 pds overweight. I had had my 1st heart attack before surgery and my primary doc said I should have the surgery. Worse decision of my life. Sorry for long story but I just want to know if anyone is having these same complications. I went back to my gastric surgeon and she said Gastric bypass doesn't affect your meds and because I had gained 8 pds back, she rudely said..."well you're absorbing something" and looked me up and down. At that point I was done with her. This has been a nightmare

sooooooo soooo sorry you're going through this. I'm very happy that you are still here with us. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need a ear. I hope and pray things get better for you fast! 😊

How are your Vitamin levels? Have they checked them? Vitamin B deficiency can cause a LOT of mental and emotional issues, as do other vitamin deficiencies. If you were already having issues with mental health, then vitamin deficiency will most likely compound that.

I’m constantly having problems with super low Iron, D and B12 and my panic attacks have been worse since surgery. Add to that my impending menopause… fun times 🤪

Hi...I take Vitamin D, Calcium, B12, Multivitamin and Iron. I did have an iron deficiency but had an infusion. Iron upsets my stomach but I'm back on it again. I've been taking all these since surgery. My panic attacks and anxiety wasn't this bad before surgery. I was managing them really well before. Now they don't stop and depression is everyday. Having to take liquid antidepressants to absorb. I'm giving up