Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op by a month and I'm scared...

So has anyone but me been through this? I have been completely gung ho about this surgery and how it may be my best chance at having help in getting my weight off. It's been months of dietary classes, psych evaluations, and 3 hour drives for doctor appointments all leading up to surgery 2/14/23 and now I am completely freaking out trying to figure out if I am doing the right thing. This is all for my 5 year so he can have a mom that is more active with him but I am honestly scared. I am scared I will screw it up somehow. Not entirely sure how to explain it but I guess I am worried about it working/ me not allowing it to work with my willpower. Just scared... Anybody else go through this so close to surgery?

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

6 hours ago, Kris Poole said:

So has anyone but me been through this? I have been completely gung ho about this surgery and how it may be my best chance at having help in getting my weight off. It's been months of dietary classes, psych evaluations, and 3 hour drives for doctor appointments all leading up to surgery 2/14/23 and now I am completely freaking out trying to figure out if I am doing the right thing. This is all for my 5 year so he can have a mom that is more active with him but I am honestly scared. I am scared I will screw it up somehow. Not entirely sure how to explain it but I guess I am worried about it working/ me not allowing it to work with my willpower. Just scared... Anybody else go through this so close to surgery?

I think it is completely normal. I have my surgery 2/7 and I am feeling the same way. I know it is for the best however. Hang in there! We will get through this!

It's life-altering surgery, so I think it's fair to say almost everyone has their "oh my god I'm actually doing this???" phase before surgery day. A massive life change is a big thing to process and nerves are totally natural as it's unknown territory. When my nerves kicked in, I put on music and danced the nerves off to keep myself in a good headspace.

But it's not as scary as the mind makes it out. Anxiety will turn everything into a bigger issue than it is. You won't fail if you stick to your plan, and the surgery is a very powerful tool that helps you. Trust me, I always had rubbish self-control, and it still worked. You can talk through every step of the journey and get good support from folks on this forum. Breathe, and focus on why you're doing this and visualise that better way of living, and the goals you want to hit. Post surgery, every little milestone is worth celebrating. It's incredible how the body bounces back into health when you give it a chance!

Thanks for all the kind words. I think my biggest fear centers around my extended healing time and that putting an unknown into the equation. I have M.S. as well and am actually currently recovering from a really bad broken ankle to boot. I should be walking again by now but my healing has always taken about 3x as long as most... even bruises or like a scrape. I think it has to do with my M.S.(multiple sclerosis). It just worries me about recovering and such as it really is a big question mark in my mind. Trying to breathe through it but this forum is definitely helpful for sure.20221209_191519.jpg

To add to @Smanky’s response, remember the main reason you’re doing this - for your child. It’s a very good reason coupled with improving your general health. I mean it won’t change your MS status but the weight loss will likely make your life easier.

I didn’t have any comorbidities befits my surgery but I knew the chances of them starting were very high. And I wanted to be able to do fun things with my nieces & nephews. And I can now. On Christmas Eve I was jumping on a trampoline with four of them. We were laughing so much as they tried to double bounce me so I’d fall over - I did. They’re aged 5-9 & I’m looking at 58 this year. Before the surgery I wouldn’t (embarrassed) & couldn't (physically) do that.

It is so worth all the perfectly ok concerns & worries you may have before the surgery.

All the best.

You are taking a leap into the unknown and are bound to be a little scared. We all went there. The surgery is one of the safest going. I can't find the figures but they are amazing.
I personally ran into the operating theatre because I was so sick of my three week pre op diet. In the end I just couldn't wait for it to be over

Sent from my Lenovo TB-J606F using BariatricPal mobile app

On 01/13/2023 at 05:48, Kris Poole said:

I was nervous as well before my vsg. You’ll be well. Stay calm & look how far you’ve already come. 🥰

I’m also pre-op (2/22/23 since I’ll be out of town for my 2/11 anniversary) with MS. I’m worried about triggering another flare because I got them when trying to lose weight with very low carb. I was undiagnosed until that 2nd one which caused near constant dizziness and my legs would lock up while walking and I would rather not go through that again!

I’m also pre-op (2/22/23 since I’ll be out of town for my 2/11 anniversary) with MS. I’m worried about triggering another flare because I got them when trying to lose weight with very low carb. I was undiagnosed until that 2nd one which caused near constant dizziness and my legs would lock up while walking and I would rather not go through that again!
Oh man! I am sooo sorry. I was lucky and didn't get any during my low carb/keto run but I feel we never truly know what will set one off. My very first flare to a diagnosis was with my legs going numb and they have never fully recovered so I get that completely. I just keep thinking about when I had my son and the hormone shock afterwards put me through hell with my attacks. Hopefully with our surgeries being so close we can check in with one another. #Igotyourback

1 minute ago, Kris Poole said:

Oh man! I am sooo sorry. I was lucky and didn't get any during my low carb/keto run but I feel we never truly know what will set one off. My very first flare to a diagnosis was with my legs going numb and they have never fully recovered so I get that completely. I just keep thinking about when I had my son and the hormone shock afterwards put me through hell with my attacks. Hopefully with our surgeries being so close we can check in with one another. #Igotyourback

I had no problems that I know of from regular Keto, off and on for years, but it was the super low carb to carnivore that did it! I didn’t know what was going on the first time (Lhermittes and burning Patches on my forearms, NP at my dr office said the Lhermittes was “just arthritis”, forgot about the burning patches since this was all long gone by my appointment. Moved to Colorado and had that second flare that lasted a few months and my medical care has been SO much better out here. Even making progress towards bariatric surgery is a huge improvement. Lived in TN and GA previously. My only lasting symptom came in between the flares and just two fingers on my left hand are partly numb. Hope the leg numbness doesn’t affect your mobility too terribly!

I had no problems that I know of from regular Keto, off and on for years, but it was the super low carb to carnivore that did it! I didn’t know what was going on the first time (Lhermittes and burning Patches on my forearms, NP at my dr office said the Lhermittes was “just arthritis”, forgot about the burning Patches since this was all long gone by my appointment. Moved to Colorado and had that second flare that lasted a few months and my medical care has been SO much better out here. Even making progress towards bariatric surgery is a huge improvement. Lived in TN and GA previously. My only lasting symptom came in between the flares and just two fingers on my left hand are partly numb. Hope the leg numbness doesn’t affect your mobility too terribly!
It only affects when I walk for too long or am in a very hot environment. All of those are triggers for me. I unfortunately know lhermittes sign very well. Got that one with my first lesion on my spinal cord. I'm glad you're getting better care now. I found out honestly I feel by sheer luck and a really smart doc as I was only 16 at the time. When did you get your diagnosis if you don't mind me asking [emoji848]. Can't believe the NP thought it was arthritis...geez

19 hours ago, Kris Poole said:

It only affects when I walk for too long or am in a very hot environment. All of those are triggers for me. I unfortunately know lhermittes sign very well. Got that one with my first lesion on my spinal cord. I'm glad you're getting better care now. I found out honestly I feel by sheer luck and a really smart doc as I was only 16 at the time. When did you get your diagnosis if you don't mind me asking . Can't believe the NP thought it was arthritis...geez

March 2021, same month I turned 45 but I have a bunch of lesions, brain and spine, so who knows how long I've had them. First flare was 2-3 years before I think, Second started Nov 2020, I didn't have health insurance at the time so the urgent care and cash pay doctor's office weren't any help. Got insurance in January and my new PA said yep, let's send you for a MRI and neurologist.

March 2021, same month I turned 45 but I have a bunch of lesions, brain and spine, so who knows how long I've had them. First flare was 2-3 years before I think, Second started Nov 2020, I didn't have health insurance at the time so the urgent care and cash pay doctor's office weren't any help. Got insurance in January and my new PA said yep, let's send you for a MRI and neurologist.
Sadly insurance does help often. I am 33 now so been with it for quite some time. The doctor just had a hunch and ordered the MRI for me. Never something anyone is prepared for but it is nice to at the have an explanation that makes sense.