Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2023 surgery dates!

On 3/16/2023 at 11:49 AM, DrinkMoreRadium said:

That will definitely help! I started doing 30 min of stationary bike on week 3 - just be really careful about how much you're exerting and make sure you're well hydrated. Prior to sx I was in the gym 2-3 times a week and definitely miss being able to guzzle half a bottle of Water when I start feeling too hot.

29 lbs as of this morning - 4 weeks and 3 days postop! It feels really good and I'm actually starting to notice some differences in clothes. 30% to my goal!

I will definitely be careful especially since it's been awhile since using the treadmill and bike. When I started going to the gym way back in 2015. I was going 5 times a week and it felt great! Yeah sometimes I forget, and I judged a little bit. Oops. I didn't have pain or anything.

That's awesome! I felt the difference in my clothes just a few days before 2 weeks. Oh, my weight did move. I lost around 1.8 pounds. Keep it up!

What can I have Peanut Butter and jelly with??

Edited by Erin18
Missed spelling

I cant believe that tomorrow I will be 5 weeks post op.

Half the time when I eat a meal, when I'm half way through it, my stomach is like "I don't like thos anymore".

I havent started tracking yet. To me it seems hard because If I don't eat all of it, how do I know what the calories are or the Protein? I'm still not getting enough protein. Or Fluid still.

What is everyone doing at this point of their post op?

I see the dietician April 5th. I'm hoping she can give me some meal options. I want to start meal prepping.

What is everyone's favorite meals at the soft solid stage?

Anybody experience foods that they used to like, no longer like now? There's a lot I don't like now.

2 minutes ago, Erin18 said:

Half the time when I eat a meal, when I'm half way through it, my stomach is like "I don't like thos anymore".

I havent started tracking yet. To me it seems hard because If I don't eat all of it, how do I know what the calories are or the Protein? I'm still not getting enough Protein. Or Fluid still.

I see the dietician April 5th. I'm hoping she can give me some meal options. I want to start meal prepping.

Anybody experience foods that they used to like, no longer like now? There's a lot I don't like now.

I’m just over 4 weeks post op. I’m not tracking either, but I’ve started getting into a rhythm.
Protein Shake for Breakfast

cheese for snack

lunch (varies - today was some corned beef hash)

protein shake for afternoon snack

dinner (today was like 1/2 a taco)

and I might have a protein-y snack like these protein Cookies by hold da sugar.

my main goal is to get over 60 g of protein and a similar amount in oz of Water. I can’t eat very much at a time but I am getting hungry frequently so I’m trying to listen to my body about that.

On 3/28/2023 at 6:24 PM, Erin18 said:

I havent started tracking yet. To me it seems hard because If I don't eat all of it, how do I know what the calories are or the Protein? I'm still not getting enough Protein. Or Fluid still.

I am 1 day behind you, 5 weeks post op today! I start soft foods today, after 4 weeks full liquid and 1 week puree. I'm looking forward to salmon tonight with some roasted veggies! My dietician said to get in a Protein Shake so I have 30 g to start, and while the rest of my protein should come from food, the focus should be on paying attention to my body's cues, eating slowly, chewing, and stopping when I am full, vs tracking and measuring. I was surprised, I've heard others say to always measure, but it made sense... at this stage. Stop when I am full, vs a measured amount that may be too much or not enough. Also getting into the pattern of scheduled meals vs the all day sipping. Puree'd foods I am able to eat quite a bit.

I am not enjoying coffee like I used to (yes, I'm allowed coffee) but struggle without caffeine so I start my day with the Cafe Latte Premier Protein shake. I'm curious too as to what others find they no longer like.

On 3/30/2023 at 10:25 AM, Bandedbut said:

I am 1 day behind you, 5 weeks post op today! I start soft foods today, after 4 weeks full liquid and 1 week puree. I'm looking forward to salmon tonight with some roasted veggies! My dietician said to get in a Protein Shake so I have 30 g to start, and while the rest of my Protein should come from food, the focus should be on paying attention to my body's cues, eating slowly, chewing, and stopping when I am full, vs tracking and measuring. I was surprised, I've heard others say to always measure, but it made sense... at this stage. Stop when I am full, vs a measured amount that may be too much or not enough. Also getting into the pattern of scheduled meals vs the all day sipping. Puree'd foods I am able to eat quite a bit.

I am not enjoying coffee like I used to (yes, I'm allowed coffee) but struggle without caffeine so I start my day with the Cafe Latte Premier Protein shake. I'm curious too as to what others find they no longer like.

I've been wanting to write down what I eat, but it's hard because sometimes I can't eat it all. I know what you mean about measuring and not measuring tho. I usually weigh my food. Sometimes it's too much, sometimes it's not enough. But I don't go back for more and I don't want to get more. Ooo I used to like cream if wheat. I had it the second time after surgery the other day, the first bite was good, then after that it tasted like how swamp Water smells lol. I hate Protein Shakes and I can't stand yogurts anymore which sucks because I like yogurt. Broccoli tonight tasted weird. I don't like Vitamin waters anymore, I don't like snapple or gatorade anymore(eventho I got grape the other day). It's funny you say you don't like coffee anymore and I'm craving coffee haha. Starbucks coffee. I'm not a huge coffee drinker, but I do like it once in awhile. I see the dietician tomorrow and I'm asking if it's okay to have coffee and tea.

I get to move onto the soft solid diet tomorrow and I hope she can give me some meal ideas and what ounces I should be having.

I'm pretty happy with my weight loss so far and ever since surgery I've been pretty happy. I've lost 27 pounds so far.

I'm really worried about failing and really worried about stretching my stomach out at this point.

Does anyone have a ink or something that I can follow for meal prep ideas. And every meal is supposed to be 4 ounces total. Like 2 ounce meat, 1.5 ounce veggies, and .5 ounce starch? Or 3 ounce Protein, 1 ounce veggies?

I'm like freaking out over here and I'm kind feeling down about it. I don't want to fail!

Don’t stress too much! I don’t measure anything. My actual meals are so tiny I don’t worry about overeating.

look at the scale victories and the non scale things: measurements and clothes fitting etc. if everything is trending the right way, don’t worry too much.

22 hours ago, SirKat said:

Don’t stress too much! I don’t measure anything. My actual meals are so tiny I don’t worry about overeating.

look at the scale victories and the non scale things: measurements and clothes fitting etc. if everything is trending the right way, don’t worry too much.

Thank you so much. How much should I be losing by week 7? I lost 29.9 pounds so far since surgery

On 4/13/2023 at 6:25 PM, Erin18 said:

I'm really worried about failing and really worried about stretching my stomach out at this point.

Does anyone have a ink or something that I can follow for meal prep ideas. And every meal is supposed to be 4 ounces total. Like 2 ounce meat, 1.5 ounce veggies, and .5 ounce starch? Or 3 ounce Protein, 1 ounce veggies?

I'm like freaking out over here and I'm kind feeling down about it. I don't want to fail!

I don't think you can stretch it out this early. Some say you can't stretch it out, some do. Shrug. I'm 7 weeks out, and I don't weigh or measure. My Dr. and nutritionist just said to pay attention to when I'm full and stop. I can eat quite a lot of soft pureed type foods, like cottage cheese, Soups, or pudding. Sounds like you are right on track and doing fine! I've lost 23 lbs since surgery.

A typical breakfast for me is 2 scrambled eggs and 1/2 avocado. For lunch I had 1 slice of deli turkey, 1 baby bell cheese, 2 strawberries (YAY just got cleared for fresh!) and 4 snow peas from our garden. dinner is some chicken and roasted sweet potatoes, snack was some sugar free pudding, and I also fit in a Protein Shake. Last night was baked fish and roasted cauliflower. My calories have been about 1000, which my Dr. was fine with. I was told if I'm tired to eat more Protein.

On 4/13/2023 at 6:25 PM, Erin18 said:

I have the same concern. My surgery was on 2/8 and I am in my 9th week. My doctor has me at 400-600 calories, and at least 5 hours a week of exercise. I'm only losing 2 lbs a week. I'm fine with losing at a slower rate. My concern is whether I will continue to lose when my calories move up to 600-800 when I am at 6 months.

But I just keep telling myself to trust in the process. I am better now than I was two months ago. I trust my doctor and nutritionist to give me the information to successfully lose this weight. My job is to keep to the plan they have given me.

Edited by Rdy4Change

How much Tylenol can I take? I'm able to take pill form and I used to take 2 before surgery. I have a wicked headache

Hi Everyone,

I know it’s now May - I have only just joined BAriatric Pals and just found your post.

I had my MGB on Valentines Day! 14th February 2023!

I hope it’s not too late to make friends - goodness knows I need you for support if you’re willing! I’ve not had it particularly well to date so feeling rather alone.

albeit today is a much better day than the previous 50 I can wholeheartedly say I’ve regretted this surgery so far. I’m hoping this will not be be forever however!

looking forward to hearing from you.

❤️🥰

33 minutes ago, ShelleyBelley said:

Hi Everyone,

I know it’s now May - I have only just joined BAriatric Pals and just found your post.

I had my MGB on Valentines Day! 14th February 2023!

I hope it’s not too late to make friends - goodness knows I need you for support if you’re willing! I’ve not had it particularly well to date so feeling rather alone.

albeit today is a much better day than the previous 50 I can wholeheartedly say I’ve regretted this surgery so far. I’m hoping this will not be be forever however!

looking forward to hearing from you.

❤️🥰

Hi ShelleyBelley,

I am post op now (VSG surgery was 2/22) and would love to help out. Can you give us a little more information about your procedure and progress so far?

2 hours ago, BigAndTall said:

Hi ShelleyBelley,

I am post op now (VSG surgery was 2/22) and would love to help out. Can you give us a little more information about your procedure and progress so far?

im just about to look into posting my story and update my surgery details but could not do so easily and without not first attempting to seek any help I can before I literally lose the plot!
I am now coming upto 13 weeks post mini gastric bypass. (Tuesday) on Valentines Day I underwent the surgeons scalpels
I paid privately after the usual circumstances of hitting rock bottom and saying quite literally… ENOUGH! Money is not plentiful and I used my small inheritance from my late father. Lucky, I was able to do so.

I live near Manchester in the UK and am seeing my surgeon next Wednesday after discussing my symptoms with the dietician.

but… I’m struggling. I have zero support network with experience. A loving family yes but no one I feel can validate or reassure me.
I have medical study experience but not enough experience or knowledge to explain my symptoms away.
my most recent message I’m still awaiting reply to from my surgeons medical secretary as follows:-
Hi (name removed for anonymity)
Did you receive my message yesterday please?
I spoke to the Dieticians yesterday too and they’ve arranged a consultation with surgeon to discuss further issues. Next Wednesday. I am hoping to attend in person but currently struggling with flu type symptoms.
I don’t have other people who have had bariatric surgery to speak to who could be a support network or provide support. Do you know if there is a professional forum, overseen contact group or other network or other supportive services? I don’t feel I am having a good recovery and feel I am struggling. Plus, I feel I am that poorly now perhaps I was dismissed too readily or swiftly in my previous contacts.
I am losing weight much much faster than all my peers I read. I’ve lost over 4 stones in just 13 weeks. Far too fast and I’m drained, lethargic, can barely hold my head up (albeit have flu too) but in May too! Not normally a fluey month as the norm?? Infact, I microsecond passed out yesterday and cracked my head on our bathroom sink - simply due to standing up from the loo!
I do not have a supportive GP or GP surgery and am currently in the process of changing surgeries now BUT am writing to them and conducting a private appointment firstly as I do not trust full follow through handover transparency. My surgery requires professional evidence or correspondence of everything to even follow up. For example, they have borderline eGFR results and two scans showing kidney stone and cyst in situ YET won’t conduct further tests or refer until surgeon sends a letter too! It’s absurd! it’s the main reason I paid to get this surgery completed to try to be well and improve my life and stay away from GP Doctors who possibly practiced nothing more than general medicine for 5 years!
I’m constantly having to contact you directly, but seem dismissed by quotes of it’s week 4, or week 6, or only week 8 or now it’s only week 16, go back to Soups and fluids, try a quarter of an egg instead of a full
Egg. I’ve gone back to fluids only 3 times now! When then can I tolerate real food? Something I can use my teeth with would be nice now?
I cant eat any meat barely at all now, (not even minced), swallowing gets more difficult, indigestion, heartburn is agony, my nails are like paper, my periods have disappeared completely albeit this could be normal as I’m 10 years post menopausal, my face is gray and sallowed. I look like death. I’ve just returned back from holiday but spent 5 days in bed due to tummy pain, bowel problems, agonising indigestion, feeling unwell. I also take 3 x baricol chewables a day, a Multivitamin tablet and a calcichew a day. I’ve read everything I can find, researched this surgery for 6 months prior to having it, watched videos on YouTube, nothing seems to validate or reassure me. I studied medicine myself for 2 years albeit I know this is extra bit of knowledge of human anatomy and practice,
I certainly do not have the knowledge to explain my symptoms away. I know this is not psychological as I cannot tolerate warm, cold, mashed, puréed, anything I’ve been told to try and going back a step to try again. When then am I to carry on until? Perhaps until I pass out again or end up in A&E on a drip?
I cant get anything down me. If I do manage one meal a day, it’s a quarter of a starter portion and I’ll nearly always vomit it back up or experience the pain in my tummy or severely painful heartburn or severely offensive and debilitating flatulence.
How long until I can eat?
How long until I can drink plentiful fluids without issues? Ie. More than 500 ml in a 24 hour period?
How long until I feel well?
How long until I can eat what my family eats albeit in a starter portion? A healthy clean hearty non processed meal!
How long until I look and feel well?
How long until I can eat without severely offensive flatulence? It’s disgusting and far too painful to keep inside or even attempt to get to a more private location! Once it’s there, it’s impossible to hide and I don’t feel confident even in taking my children to school!
How long will my stools be pale yellow or grey?
How long will this horrendous pain in my tummy last? Because it’s interfering with my daily life now too. I’m now buying omaprezol over the counter. Lamazeprol isn’t available over the counter like I was advised yesterday.
How long until I can sleep a full
Night without being woken by agonising heartburn or stomach pain?
These are the questions I’d like to ask a support network rather than mither yourself, to then mither surgeon to then mither dieticians or worse my GP.
I’m getting very frustrated now, mainly through a lack of support I think. I don’t like to join public forums or online networks normally but I don’t feel I can get the answers of validation or reassurance currently. Yet, I’ve paid over £12000 for the surgery and 2 years post surgery support. Where is the support please?
Once I receive your reply I’ll
Know whether to mention the letter requirements in my appointment too.
I am so sorry I have to keep contacting you, mithering surgeon but I’m getting frustrated and upset now. I want to be well not worse. Plus, the more issues, symptoms I have the more neurotic I feel, yet I have nowhere else to ask.
Regards
So after reading this I hope you or anyone could offer some guidance or insight.
simply put I am also at my wits end and do not want to regret this life changing surgery but I’m beginning to do so with intent and massive frustration.
looking forward to any replies.

I have copied and pasted this from my post yesterday. I don’t know what further info you’d like but am willing to explain absolutely anything if it will help you to support / advise.

I can say today is a better day - I’m not well by any comparison and sleep deprivation is definitely affecting my cognitive function BUT I have managed one full bladder toilet trip and eaten twice today.

Two rice cakes with 3 cheese dress and some pickled tiny chopped shallots.

tiny fresh plum tomatoes with 3 x tender soft grilled bacon medalions on a slightly toasted Oatcake.

all chewed three times (within an inch if their life) and each meal takes an average of an hour to eat and get down me.

tummy pain 6 / 10 which is absolutely amazing in comparison to norm.

nausea in situ but no vomiting today.

a normal opening of bowels with the exception of colour as above.

wind still offensive embarrassing but not as repetitive.

2 small cups of tea.

200ml sugar free cordial.