Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 hours ago, smc124 said:

I definitely get a lot of ick seeing diet culture words and phrases slung around on these message boards as well as sentiments I recognize from folks with eating disorders. Things in the same vein/tone as to “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels…etc” Having had a severe ED in the past and otherwise socialize in diet culture for most of my life I can’t help but cringe in seeing people would have made the choice to grow healthy through weight loss surgery choice to clinging to some of the most problematic diet culture undertones.

I also get major ick seeing people put down their past selves and bodies. I think it’s amazing to feel and confident in your own skin, but there are so many factors that contribute to weight gain and so many ways fat people are misunderstood, treated unfairly and undermined in our society - something most of us have personally experienced to some degree, I hate to see people acting in ways that contribute negative societal construct.

Yesssssssss thank you! I didn't do this so I could spend the rest of my life still tied up in diet culture bs and I definitely didn't do this to hate a very real and very important part of who I am and what my life is.

There are a couple of doctors on yt who have really great/helpful videos for the most part but when you get to their videos about eating it goes completely off the rails. I saw one the other day recommending intermittent fasting to wls patients! How are you a doctor literally recommending disordered eating habits to patients trusting you to give them evidence-based information about how to eat!

”Pouch”, “stall”, “journey”, “stretching the pouch” (that’s literally the worst one!). Expressions that get waaay overused, like ”the surgery is a tool”, “this is a marathon, not a sprint”… I feel like I could go on all day. 😂

Genuine question for those who can't stand "surgery is a tool". What alternative description would you suggest?