Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Year PostOp

Hey Yall

Its been a minute since I posted life has been lifeing lol.

So tomorrow is my 1 year check up I actually don't complete a year until Friday but the appointment is early. I've decided for my mental sake I'm not going to go. Since surgery I've lost 63lbs not that I'm not proud but honestly just thought I would be further along. I've lost 102 from my highest weight but from surgery it's been really slow.

I've had some many victories this year. My a1c is 5.2 it was 7.6 last year, I'm wearing a 16, I was in a 26 last year. My BP is in good range. I can work out for an hour. I have traveled something serious this year and don't need a seat belt extender. All the positive and i still feel like I failed. I'm hoping next year I can keep moving forward and pull myself out of this slump. Happy Surgery Anniversary to me.

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app

Failed?!?!

You’re an inspiration!

Diabetes, gone and in check.

63lbs…fantastic!

Seems like you more active…great!

KEEP GOING, YOU ARE DOING JUST FINE!!!

Many years ago at Slimming World, I learned not to look at the results of others and criticise myself . What I was doing just didn't seem good enough. So I criticised myself and gave up. I have watched people shoot past me on here but the fact that I am still loosing weight, even at a snails pace, brings me joy. Never, ever compare yourself to others.

I have also rid my body of Diabetes. It will attain us a longer life, healthier life. It is the biggest present you can give yourself.

It seems to me that you have smashed it. Look at what you can do compared to last year. Your body is thanking you

If you have followed your plan well you have not failed. Heck, if you are lifeing as well as it seems then you are tremendously successful since lifeing is the name of the game.

Oddly I think folks focus too much on a number on a scale. The important thing is following your plan, getting healthier, and feeling better. These are the true measures of success.

High expectations and comparing ourselves to others is self-defeating. Even if we believe our expectations are reasonable we will sooner or later not meet them. There is always someone that loses more faster. Then we feel like failures when in reality we have no control over how much or quickly we lose weight.

Good luck,

Tek

Thank you everyone for the replies! It is oh so needed. I feel like I have to constantly remind myself not to compare myself and be proud of the difference I've made in my life. I really appreciate all the responses it really picked me up. I'm going to keep pushing forward and enjoy the wins. [emoji3060]

You should be proud. I don't understand why you feel like you're a failure. My sleeve was almost a year ago and I've only lost 45 lbs. I'm loosing very slowly but I feel good and healthier.

This is definitely not a failure. I think you're doing great!!! If I may ask, what was your starting weight and bmi? Those that start off at a lower bmi tend to lose slower. Your non scale victories are amazing, and if you're happy, then it's a success, not a failure. Never compare yourself to anyone else. We are all on very different journeys, and no two people's will look the same.

This is definitely not a failure. I think you're doing great!!! If I may ask, what was your starting weight and bmi? Those that start off at a lower bmi tend to lose slower. Your non scale victories are amazing, and if you're happy, then it's a success, not a failure. Never compare yourself to anyone else. We are all on very different journeys, and no two people's will look the same.

Thank you so much for the kind words. I had surgery at 300lbs my bmi was around 60 I believe I'm only 5ft tall. Almost all my weight is in my mid section

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches