Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m HUNGRY!

Hey everyone! I was sleeved in September, so I’m almost to the three month mark. My appetite is returning & it seems to be back with a VENGEANCE! Of course I’m unable to eat passed half a plate (maybe even pass a quarter of a plate lol), but I seem to be hungry more & more throughout the day. Has this happened or is happening to any of you? If so, how are you satisfying these little bursts of hunger?

Happens to me a lot. I noticed it's usually on the days I'm lacking in some area. Sometimes I feel like my stomach is so empty but I just find foods that I know are gonna satisfy me. Applesauce and yogurt have been my go to's.

I have been getting my hunger back too and I also had my surgery done in sept. It makes me sad because I was hoping to not be hungry for longer. Its harder to stay on track when I'm hungry every two hours or so but I fill it with low calorie food. I am eating salad or fruit as Snacks and trying to eat slower during my meals. I've upped my Protein but that didn't really help. I measure all of my food and stick to my dietitians guidelines, but its scary to see how hard it is sometimes.

Some days I do find that I could eat more. Often that hunger accompanies my being bored. Other times I have It I cook more vegies to eat with my meals and that helps me feel fuller.

I was also sleeved in Sept & I've found that my hunger is actually just me being excited to eat food. If I'm distracted that feeling doesn't come up.

But in those instances when I know my brain won't shut up I like the MINI Quest Bars. Specifically the minis bc they're only 80cals. Also pre packed beef Jerky strips (60 cals) & Dry Roasted Edamame Snacks (The Only Bean brand) all high Protein & delicious!

Those are enough to satisfy that need to munch something

I find if I haven't had enough fluids I am hungry, can eat alot more and don't stay full for long

On 12/04/2022 at 14:58, SHORTY_ said:

Happens to me a lot. I noticed it's usually on the days I'm lacking in some area. Sometimes I feel like my stomach is so empty but I just find foods that I know are gonna satisfy me. Applesauce and yogurt have been my go to's.

Yogurt has definitely been my go to as well! Never thought about applesauce tho!!! Are you on a sugar free post op diet?

On 12/04/2022 at 17:09, Hope4NewMe said:

I have been getting my hunger back too and I also had my surgery done in sept. It makes me sad because I was hoping to not be hungry for longer. Its harder to stay on track when I'm hungry every two hours or so but I fill it with low calorie food. I am eating salad or fruit as Snacks and trying to eat slower during my meals. I've upped my Protein but that didn't really help. I measure all of my food and stick to my dietitians guidelines, but its scary to see how hard it is sometimes.

What types of Snacks are you eating? Do you shop from this sites’ store?

On 12/04/2022 at 19:46, Possum220 said:

Some days I do find that I could eat more. Often that hunger accompanies my being bored. Other times I have It I cook more vegies to eat with my meals and that helps me feel fuller.

Definitely spikes when I’m bored as well! Thanks for the veggie tip!

On 12/04/2022 at 20:14, bbykitty said:

I was also sleeved in Sept & I've found that my hunger is actually just me being excited to eat food. If I'm distracted that feeling doesn't come up.

But in those instances when I know my brain won't shut up I like the MINI Quest Bars. Specifically the minis bc they're only 80cals. Also pre packed beef Jerky strips (60 cals) & Dry Roasted Edamame Snacks (The Only Bean brand) all high Protein & delicious!

Those are enough to satisfy that need to munch something

Being excited to eat food definitely sounds like me lol! My stomach is small, but my brain didn’t get the memo! I’ll add those Quest bars to my shopping list. Thank you!

On 12/04/2022 at 20:41, SleeverSk said:

I find if I haven't had enough fluids I am hungry, can eat alot more and don't stay full for long

Funny you say this, my doctor actually mentioned in my last appointment that I needed to up my Fluid intake to at least 64oz of Water a day. I’ve been trying, but maybe I need to really stick to that!

Head hunger or real hunger? Real hunger feels different. I get restless & think something is wrong. I don’t crave a specific food, flavour or texture. It also doesn’t go away. And there is always a logical & reasonable reason why I’m hungry like I haven’t eaten much all day or have missed a meal. It usually occurs later at night but that’s me (been known to get out of bed to eat some chicken meat at 11pm).

Head hunger is related to boredom, habit, emotions, time (it’s lunch time I must be hungry), etc. Also excess acid can cause you to think your hungry. And in most cases, a grumbling, rumbling tummy is actually just your digestive system working not that you’re hungry.

It can take time to work out the difference but is all part of our learning. As is discovering how to manage the head hunger if it is that. Have something to drink like Water as others have suggested or a warm drink. Distract yourself: craft, clean, read, play a game, ring a friend, check social media or this forum, etc. Or wait 30 mins or so before satisfying the hunger.

But yes, your hunger does come back. When is individual though many seem to start at about 6 months. But as with most things some start earlier & some later. So you may be experiencing real hunger. Check with your dietician to review your current food choices & intake. Maybe adding a little more food to a meal, if you’re able, will help if it’s real hunger. Try a couple of nuts, some Jerky or other meat, yoghurt, boiled eggs, & other Protein dense foods as Snacks. But again check your plan & ask your dietician for suggestions.

Doing Noom the year before my 10/19 surgery it encouraged if hungry drink Water and wait 20 minutes. Now I try the same. I find a Protein Shake works. It also gets me 30g Protein. Either a good first choice. But I eat 5x day. I'm eating 1/3 cup meat 4x day or eggs for Breakfast. 1/8 cup vegetable or baked yam or potato. My meat is 93% ground beef or Jenni ground turkey taco or Italian seasoned. Add guacamole and salsa to first and marinara to second.

On 12/04/2022 at 22:35, Arabesque said:

Head hunger or real hunger? Real hunger feels different. I get restless & think something is wrong. I don’t crave a specific food, flavour or texture. It also doesn’t go away. And there is always a logical & reasonable reason why I’m hungry like I haven’t eaten much all day or have missed a meal. It usually occurs later at night but that’s me (been known to get out of bed to eat some chicken meat at 11pm).

Head hunger is related to boredom, habit, emotions, time (it’s lunch time I must be hungry), etc. Also excess acid can cause you to think your hungry. And in most cases, a grumbling, rumbling tummy is actually just your digestive system working not that you’re hungry.

It can take time to work out the difference but is all part of our learning. As is discovering how to manage the head hunger if it is that. Have something to drink like Water as others have suggested or a warm drink. Distract yourself: craft, clean, read, play a game, ring a friend, check social media or this forum, etc. Or wait 30 mins or so before satisfying the hunger.

But yes, your hunger does come back. When is individual though many seem to start at about 6 months. But as with most things some start earlier & some later. So you may be experiencing real hunger. Check with your dietician to review your current food choices & intake. Maybe adding a little more food to a meal, if you’re able, will help if it’s real hunger. Try a couple of nuts, some Jerky or other meat, yoghurt, boiled eggs, & other Protein dense foods as Snacks. But again check your plan & ask your dietician for suggestions.

Great tips! I think it may be a combination of both types of hunger. I have an appointment next week & will discuss with my dietician how I can appropriately satisfy these cravings! Thank you!

On 12/05/2022 at 00:49, Bettyboop56 said:

Doing Noom the year before my 10/19 surgery it encouraged if hungry drink Water and wait 20 minutes. Now I try the same. I find a Protein Shake works. It also gets me 30g Protein. Either a good first choice. But I eat 5x day. I'm eating 1/3 cup meat 4x day or eggs for Breakfast. 1/8 cup vegetable or baked yam or potato. My meat is 93% ground beef or Jenni ground turkey taco or Italian seasoned. Add guacamole and salsa to first and marinara to second.

I’ll try that Water tip! Drink & wait! Someone else suggested something similar on another post. What’s your go to Protein Shake?