Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taste change after surgery

yesterday I made split pea soup.. (I an full liquid, but can have strained soup) I have always liked things very salty and try to hold back because family complains… this time I tried to be restrained not just for everyone else’s taste, but to be gentle on my system. I blended mine with a bit of extra Water and started eating after my husband was already eating a bowl… I asked HIM if it was salty… he said no, it was fine… lol first time in 20+ years I thought something was saltier than he did!

will be interesting to find out how else my palette has changed over the next few weeks

my sense of taste intensified for awhile after surgery (I haven't noticed that in a long time - not sure if it eventually went away, or if I just got used to it). Sweet things tasted sweeter; spicy things tasted spicier. Unlike some people, I didn't dislike things I'd liked before, or vice versa - it's just that flavors became more intense. Sounds like that's true of you, too.

Yep! My mom likes to help with my food planning, when I first started eating chicken again I mentioned how it tasted too salty. She said "what do u mean, I added almost no seasoning salt on your piece" Now when she tries one of my pieces she mentions how bland it is but its delicious to me! I'm Hispanic & we thrive on well-seasoned foods, so the fact that almost none is delicious to me now is nuts to my whole family lol

I would say my taste pretty much stayed the same. I have always loved pickles of any kind or flavor, after surgery there is ONE particular flavor of pickles I don't prefer anymore. It's weird, I still love all of the others. lol

My sense of smell however intensified. Not like things smell gross but I notice smells that other people don't and sometimes things that smell normal to others are almost unbearably strong to me. Not only foods but perfumes and such also.

56 minutes ago, kcuster83 said:

I would say my taste pretty much stayed the same. I have always loved pickles of any kind or flavor, after surgery there is ONE particular flavor of pickles I don't prefer anymore. It's weird, I still love all of the others. lol

My sense of smell however intensified. Not like things smell gross but I notice smells that other people don't and sometimes things that smell normal to others are almost unbearably strong to me. Not only foods but perfumes and such also.

Your post made me heave, so sorry. I have had a long aversion to anything vinegary since Gall bladder surgery aged 17. Just thinking about you eating pickles did a number on me. I used to love them; it was a family thing. I would eat sliced pickles on bread and butter for any meal. Never had one since. Even ketchup and Tomato Soup make me heave because of the vinegar content.

I half hoped for a miracle to happen when I had this surgery, but my stomach still says no to vinegar. Lucky, lucky you

Found a new food that tastes different to me. Ground pepper. I used to dislike having more than a small amount & would use other seasonings instead, but now I'm covering my food with it haha

Edited by bbykitty

I have always been a saltaholic, but after surgery most things tasted too salty to me. I also couldn't stand the taste of any of the Protein Shakes because they were all too sweet. I'm over 2 years out now and all of that is better, but I have noticed that I really don't care that much for cheese now, which I have always LOVED. I still like it on or in things, but just to snack on by itself I just don't care for it anymore. It's weird.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app

23 minutes ago, STLoser said:

I have always been a saltaholic, but after surgery most things tasted too salty to me. I also couldn't stand the taste of any of the Protein Shakes because they were all too sweet. I'm over 2 years out now and all of that is better, but I have noticed that I really don't care that much for cheese now, which I have always LOVED. I still like it on or in things, but just to snack on by itself I just don't care for it anymore. It's weird.

omg I understand the saltaholic to too salty thing… i was sleeved 11/3 and for the first time in my 22 year marriage i thought something was too salty and my husband didn’t!!!

omg I understand the saltaholic to too salty thing… i was sleeved 11/3 and for the first time in my 22 year marriage i thought something was too salty and my husband didn’t!!!
Ha ha the same has happened with me and my husband!

Just now, STLoser said:

Ha ha the same has happened with me and my husband!

we should form a former salt addicts club lol lol