Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! I am 7 months post op and feeling stuck and defeated. Starting weight was 227 and I am now at 155 but I haven't lost any weight this past month. So far I've tolerated everything surprisingly well but some old habits are sneaking back. I've been snacking a lot more, mostly on popcorn, chips, sweets, etc. I've been eating more carbs ever since I noticed I can tolerate them well. I exercise (weights and cardio) about 3 times a week. Since I started exercising, I've noticed I have been eating more now.

Has this happened to any of you? What has helped you refocus and get back on track?

Time to get back to basics. Stop eating the junk food. Perhaps try counseling? Surgery changes our stomachs, not our brains.

You know what’s happening. You said it yourself - eating more junk food & old habits sneaking back. It’s the battle we all face & always will to some extent. The surgery only changes our body not our brain sadly.

All because you can tolerate those foods doesn’t mean you should eat them. But you have to make the decision as to whether you’ll eat them, how often you’ll eat them & how much of them you’ll eat. Finding a balance of our eating & weight & being able to live the life we want is something we have to discover for ourselves. It’s why many accept being a little heavier than they originally wanted as it’s less restrictive, more sustainable & allows them more flexibility to enjoy their life with family & friends. And that’s okay.

Unfortunately, yes, exercising will increase your appetite as your body seeks to replace the calories you’ve burnt being active. If you’re more active you can eat more calories but less than you burn if you want to keep losing. Also exercising only contributes to around 10% of the weight you want to lose. So if you want to lose 20lbs, exercise will contribute to the loss of about 2 of those pounds. Of course, lots of other benefits to being active.

I think you know what you need to do if you want to lose more weight. Start by making one change today. Then in a week or so make another. It’s easier to manage & accept going one step at a time.

All the best.

Edited by Arabesque

Oh, it's such a battle isn't it?! I also tolerate carbs very well and it's the thorn in my side too.

I have made an agreement with myself that I can have a carby snack every day - usually in the evening when the children have gone to bed. I'll have a salted caramel nut bar or a small bowl of baked crisps (chips).

You've lost over 10lbs a month on average... that's pretty good going. Maybe you're already at the weight you're meant to be?

Are you still tracking Protein and calories?

HELP! I am 7 months post op and feeling stuck and defeated. Starting weight was 227 and I am now at 155 but I haven't lost any weight this past month. So far I've tolerated everything surprisingly well but some old habits are sneaking back. I've been snacking a lot more, mostly on popcorn, chips, sweets, etc. I've been eating more carbs ever since I noticed I can tolerate them well. I exercise (weights and cardio) about 3 times a week. Since I started exercising, I've noticed I have been eating more now.
Has this happened to any of you? What has helped you refocus and get back on track?

This has happened to me, and I'm trying to get back on track. It's hard to go back to no carbs and sugar. I'm hoping I can so my sleeve isn't in vain...

Sent from my SM-S426DL using BariatricPal mobile app

I too have been having this issue over the last month as well. I think it happens to all of us. As many people have commented here, it's a physical operation we went under, the behavior side is up to us. Just try to focus on filling yourself with foods you know should be, getting your Protein in and hitting your Water intake. You can have the so called "junk" foods in moderation. However, I think as a whole, our community is just as guilty as others at labeling food, i.e. "junk", "healthy", etc. Too much of anything is bad for us good or not. Psychologically, we have to get away from that thinking. Food is food, plain and simple. I too am trying to embody what I just said. Food is food, period. Best of luck to you.

On 10/25/2022 at 10:13 PM, carolinac413 said:

I related to this thread so much. I was there for a few weeks. The scale didn't move... my measurements were not changing... I was snacking on more carbs... Not hitting my Protein intake... not sleeping well... work and family commitment related stress... the weather didn't help... I was not going to the gym as often as I'd like... all of this contributed to feeling low... I noticed my self talk was centered around guilt and shame. I was stuck in what seemed a downward spiral feeling very overwhelmed. I was there for a month and a half. Over the last few weeks I focused on taking one day at a time, being present in every moment with conscious intention, focusing my mental health, sleeping more, taking one day at a time, snacking on occasion without over indulging. This week I stood on the scale and I notice I had lost a few pounds.

You can do this. You have done such an amazing job. You are so close to your target weight🙌