Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No one talks about. To much weightloss

I’m 2 plus years out of gastric bypass. I have lost all my weight plus some. According to the stats I’m under weight. I have ate absolute junk food to get my weight up. Just makes me feel like crap. Just to much sugar. I eat my fair share with in reason. My stomach seems not to be growing. So I can put more food in. I’m really starting to worry about other health issues that I tried to avoid by doing the surgery. I’m looking in healthy even I can see. When I’m 60 am I going to have issues maintaining or gaining then. I was not prepared for this. People are fully focused on how fast and how much. But not the bigger picture. I’m sure I’m not the only one dealing with this. People who are going thru this. I would like to here your opinion.

You shouldn’t have to eat “junk food” to add calories. Try adding in things like nut butter, healthy oils, and avocado to increase calories. I’m sure your nutritionist will have a few more ideas. Those are just the few I know of that may get you started.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Have you talked to your nutritionist and had your gp run tests to make sure something medical isn’t going on?

Yes. Blood test run. Family dr wants me to have a scope done thru a gastroenterologist. Do to heartburn. But I can’t see going to such exstream for heartburn. Unless I’m missing something.

chronic irritation of esophagus from heartburn can actually cause cancer. Don’t leave that untreated.

Are you working with a dietitian?

When you're actually underweight and struggling to gain weight, all the things you learned about losing weight go out the window. For example, if you're avoiding carbs, you need to stop. If you're watching your fat intake, that too needs to stop. As @ShoppGirl said, this does not mean you should eat junk, there are plenty of healthy carbs and fats you can add to your diet. Do a google search for things like "healthy calorie dense foods". You'll see nut butters and avocados, but also dried and fresh fruits, whole grain breads, potatoes (sweet and white), oatmeal, full fat dairy, Pasta, etc...

Edited by SpartanMaker

Ghee, butter, avocados, healthy fats, full fat cheeses and dairy are your friends. Doesn't take much full fat cheese to add up those calories quickly. Don't forget nuts. Almonds 1/4c are a whopping 170 calories. Peanut Butter smoothies can be super fattening but healthy and delicious.

10 minutes ago, SpartanMaker said:

Are you working with dietitian?

When you're actually underweight and struggling to gain weight, all the things you learned about losing weight go out the window. For example, if you're avoiding carbs, you need to stop. If you're watching your fat intake, that too needs to stop. As @ShoppGirl said, this does not mean you should eat junk, there are plenty of healthy carbs and fats you can add to your diet. Do a google search for things like "healthy calorie dense foods". You'll see nut butters and avocados, but also dried and fresh fruits, whole grain breads, potatoes (sweet and white), oatmeal, full fat dairy, Pasta, etc...

The foods that you mention nuts , butters and avocados, but also dried and fresh fruits, whole grain breads, potatoes (sweet and white), oatmeal, full fat dairy, I have ate from day one. Except Pasta , high carb food. Are you saying to eat pasta , high carb foods? Of course I have since trying to put weight on. Healthy dense calorie food does not help with weight gain. But that’s for me. Everyone is different. I do need to mention my stomach feels more restricted. I was up to two cups of food 1 year out. Now being 2 plus years I’m down to 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup. Any ideas anyone.

1 minute ago, sweetsmith78 said:

The foods that you mention nuts , butters and avocados, but also dried and fresh fruits, whole grain breads, potatoes (sweet and white), oatmeal, full fat dairy, I have ate from day one. Except Pasta , high carb food. Are you saying to eat Pasta , high carb foods? Of course I have since trying to put weight on. Healthy dense calorie food does not help with weight gain. But that’s for me. Everyone is different. I do need to mention my stomach feels more restricted. I was up to two cups of food 1 year out. Now being 2 plus years I’m down to 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup. Any ideas anyone.

Sure, nothing wrong with pasta, especially if it's whole grain.

The restriction returning is not normal and somewhat concerning? What does your bariatric surgeon say about that?

2 minutes ago, sweetsmith78 said:

The foods that you mention nuts , butters and avocados, but also dried and fresh fruits, whole grain breads, potatoes (sweet and white), oatmeal, full fat dairy, I have ate from day one. Except Pasta , high carb food. Are you saying to eat Pasta , high carb foods? Of course I have since trying to put weight on. Healthy dense calorie food does not help with weight gain. But that’s for me. Everyone is different. I do need to mention my stomach feels more restricted. I was up to two cups of food 1 year out. Now being 2 plus years I’m down to 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup. Any ideas anyone.

Have you told your doctors that your restriction seems to be more? I don’t think that is typical at all.

Supposed to go for a scope. Rather figure this out with some help. Went to Mexico years ago. Come back to the states to find out that the spleen was lacerated. The Bariatric dr here acted like a spoiled child that I went to Mexico. Very uncomfortable seeing a dr. Thanks guys for mentioning restriction not normal. I didn’t think it was either but then again. It’s all still very new 2 years later. Peanut Butter and a spoon!

2 hours ago, sweetsmith78 said:

I’m 2 plus years out of gastric bypass. I have lost all my weight plus some. According to the stats I’m under weight. I have ate absolute junk food to get my weight up. Just makes me feel like crap. Just to much sugar. I eat my fair share with in reason. My stomach seems not to be growing. So I can put more food in. I’m really starting to worry about other health issues that I tried to avoid by doing the surgery. I’m looking in healthy even I can see. When I’m 60 am I going to have issues maintaining or gaining then. I was not prepared for this. People are fully focused on how fast and how much. But not the bigger picture. I’m sure I’m not the only one dealing with this. People who are going thru this. I would like to here your opinion.

I'm a bit confused. Did you have revision, sleeve to bypass? You're showing marked as a sleeve patient and I recall you saying in another post a few days ago that you don't take Vitamins, you just rely on a healthy diet to get your vitamins, which isn't recommended for bypassers. So the two posts are sort of contradictory, junk food vs healthy diet for vitamins. And also sleeve on your profile and now you're saying you got bypass two years ago. Can you clarify the details for us please? Thanks!

1 minute ago, I♡BypassedMyPhatAss♡ said:

I'm a bit confused. Did you have revision, sleeve to bypass? You're showing marked as a sleeve patient and I recall you saying in another post a few days ago that you don't take Vitamins, you just rely on a healthy diet to get your Vitamins, which isn't recommended for bypassers. So the two posts are sort of contradictory, junk food vs healthy diet for vitamins. And also sleeve on your profile and now you're saying you got bypass two years ago. Can you clarify the details for us please? Thanks!

Yes I’m a vsg. No revision. I do not take vitamins my Vitamin levels are normal.

Hello, sorry to hear your struggle. I know of a few people dealing with this.

Do you track your foods? Maybe you are not eating as many calories as you think? If not, try tracking for a while and keep adding calories until you stop loosing?

Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Hey, its been a while since I've been on here. I'm a little different, as I recently had emergency ileostomy (my entire colon removed) surgery in March, in addition to VSG to bypass in 2018 (becuz of severe reflux) and I now have a bag of poop hanging from my belly. In 2009, I weighed in at 260. When I went home from the hospital after my ileostomy in March, I weighed in at a healthy 132 and in June, I weighed in at 99 lbs. They removed my colon and most of my 24 feet of lg intestines making the route to my stomach a lot quicker. So everything goes into me and into my bag within 15 mins and I can't seem to gain weight. The last 8 months since my surgery I've gained and lost the same 7 lbs back and forth. I now weigh 105 and I bounce within the same few lbs. It sucks cuz my reversal surgery (my surgeon plans on reconnecting my small intestine directly to my rectum) but only if I can gain a healthy amount of weight first. But it seems I can't do that. I eat alot more now than I did pre-colon removal. I'm eating alot of Pasta, potatoes, rice, bread, avocado toast, even junk food. I even eat a snack when I get up to dump my ostomy bag in the middle of the nite. I still gain 1, lose 2. Gain 2, lose 1.

I work with the VA RD (I get most of my medical care thru the VA, however my surgery was thru a civilian hospital cuz it was an emergency and it was the closest the ambulance took me to. It will also be where I have my follow up surgery will be. I see her once a month. She prescribes me a 480 cal Meal Replacement shake (it's called Kate Farms) but while I sip it it comes out into my bag so it's pointless. I have like 200 shakes in my walk in closet, not doing anything. And they don't taste very good. She wants me to eat something every 2 hrs. Sure. Not possible. I can maybe do every 5 hrs.

Anyway, just wanted to let u know there's someone else out there thats struggling with gaining weight also. And I have something to obtain with a gain - my reversal surgery. If I don't gain, I hafta continue with a bag of poop hanging off my stomach. And it's no fun at parties! I wish u the best! If u want a hi calorie meal replacement, look into kate Farms - they have a TON of calories. Not the best tasting, but not the worst. U can doctor them up a bit! The ones that I have have 480 cals. I would give u mine but they r heavy and you'd hafta pay for shipping which would be pricey so it'd probly be cheaper for you to buy them from elsewhere. Otherwise they're yours! If you're local (I live in Dallas, Tx), pick em up! They're yours!) Good luck!

Marci

Edited by marfar7