Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holiday, Family, and Recovery

I am scheduled for my sleeve on Nov. 7th. My husband's family (2 to 6 people) always comes up from GA for Thanksgiving break. They sleep in a hotel but we spend the whole 4 or 5 days with them doing different things. My house is too small to entertain them all (plus me, hubby, and 4 kiddos) so being home to nap is not an option. I am worried that I'm not gonna be up to entertaining that soon after surgery. Should we ask them to reschedule or do you think you would have been up to it? They will arrive Nov 24th and be here 4 days or so. So 17 days after surgery.
Sent from my SM-S115DL using BariatricPal mobile app

You may get worn out depending how much activity you plan on doing. But, at about 3 weeks out you should be fine to entertain.

I would’ve been fine by then but everyone is different. Is it possible to play it by ear?? I would assume you would have a pretty good idea a while in advance. Are they flying or driving?? Will you be working too or is entertaining all you will have to do each day?? I say play it by ear because some of us have very little to no pain and are back to relatively normal within a week. Others it takes a while longer. If I had to guess I would say it’s most likely you will be fighting a little fatigue still at three weeks if anything. Can you just drive separately so if you absolutely need a nap you could go home and then meet back up with them?

Edited by ShoppGirl

They are driving. Nope I do not work outside the home. I am a stay at home mom and wife. My husband will be off work while they are here due to the holiday break so I will have his help too. I don't think going home to nap would be an option. However, maybe cutting the days a little shorter would work. Thank you both!

It's hard to know ahead of time how you may feel 3-4 weeks post-op. Some people are fine or even have more energy than before, and some can get tired pretty quick due to the low caloric intake.

You may just have to bow out of some activities based on your energy levels. I'd honestly be more worried about lots of eating out (if that's what your family does during this time), and your ability to follow your program.

49 minutes ago, BlessedMomma91 said:

I am scheduled for my sleeve on Nov. 7th. My husband's family (2 to 6 people) always comes up from GA for Thanksgiving break. They sleep in a hotel but we spend the whole 4 or 5 days with them doing different things. My house is too small to entertain them all (plus me, hubby, and 4 kiddos) so being home to nap is not an option. I am worried that I'm not gonna be up to entertaining that soon after surgery. Should we ask them to reschedule or do you think you would have been up to it? They will arrive Nov 24th and be here 4 days or so. So 17 days after surgery.

You may feel a little tired, but I think the distraction from food might be nice. Just make sure you are carrying your Water and Protein with you while you're out and about.

I'm 8 days post op and could probably entertain if I had to, but I just wouldn't want to. The challenge of the surgery wasn't physical for me. If anything, this is probably the easiest surgery I have ever had. After the first 3 days, the struggle has been mental. There is some isolation and feeling out of place when I have no food/or planning for food around my day. Its different when it's preop because there is excitement and all for the surgery and this short-term goal (and still possibility even if you don't do anything with that possibility). Post op you have permanently changed your life. You can't decide that you no longer want to follow a "diet". You have done it. And that's why I got surgery, but that realization is still hard. You have done something that you cannot realistically undo.

I imagine at 17 days post, it would be roughly the same. Not because of physical at that point (for me at least-everyone is different), but because of the mental toll. People will need to eat and all, and I just don't want to have to deal with the emotional toll of being around family and not able to partake with them. I want to focus on my own healing. I know that sounds selfish, but I cried when my husband brought home pizza for him and the kiddo. I have ZERO hunger. I didn't want the pizza. I just felt lonely because I couldn't eat. That's a lot to deal with on top of a bunch of family and entertaining.

Thank you all for your advice and experiences. I've already discussed with my husband that I will not be going out to eat with them. I don't want to tempt myself and cause anxiety when it isn't necessary. I think we've decided that only his grandparents will come to visit this time so there isn't too much chaos and we can entertain them at our home. We will see the others in the spring.

For what it is worth, I thought I would share my experience. I had my sleeve Aug. 4. The next week I was walking around the neighborhood, and my family took me on short trips here and there (mall, costco, etc.). The following week (10 day mark) I was taking short trips on my own, and started working from home. The next week, at the nineteen-day mark, I went back to work at the office. The biggest challenge for me was fatigue, followed by mild pain and discomfort, particularly on bumpy roads.

I and others recognize that everyone recovers differently, but hopefully this helps you. The biggest piece of advice I could offer, is to listen attentively to your body. When you are tired, it is good to rest. Rest early and often enough so you don't get worn out.

8 hours ago, BlessedMomma91 said:

Thank you all for your advice and experiences. I've already discussed with my husband that I will not be going out to eat with them. I don't want to tempt myself and cause anxiety when it isn't necessary. I think we've decided that only his grandparents will come to visit this time so there isn't too much chaos and we can entertain them at our home. We will see the others in the spring.

I think that is such a sensible and pragmatic solution. You will enjoy their company so much more when you've had the chance to settle into your new life. 👍