Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone else have a runny nose all the time?

My surgery was 18 months ago, and I have had a runny nose ever since. I'm constantly blowing my nose. I had to switch to using a microfiber towel, because it get sore from using tissue.

It's more troublesome after I had a very minor surgery on my voice. There were some complications, and I needed a second surgery. Now I can't sing or even speak properly because of constant goop in my voice. I'm always having to clear my throat. Though I wasn't having this problem before the voice surgery, I'm wondering if they're somehow connected.

Much of the joy in my life comes from singing, so I really need to get back to it. I'm working with a great voice coach, but it's taking a long, long time.

I love to sing too and couldn’t get a clear tone due to all the air in my chords. It was GERD! RNY fixed it. Also had to change the allergy meds. Anyone can develop allergies at any time in their life. I have also found that the low inflammation diet that my plan started with also cleared up some asthma symptoms and arthritis (not perfect but better). Keep singing, there’s a reason and solution for you too.

4 hours ago, Dave In Houston said:

Does anyone else have a runny nose all the time?

Seems pretty unlikely to have been the surgery, but a medication side effect, or new allergy is definitely possible. Would recommend reviewing all your meds with the primary care doctor, as well as seeing an allergist.

After bypass I developed like a phlegm in the back of my throat, then watery eyes and some other small things. I had mine right before summer so I called my PCP and told him and he said it is allergies. Had me use flonase for allergies.

I was hesitant because I NEVER have had allergies my entire life, and really thought it was something from the surgery. But, I did and it went away in a few days! It is a huge coincidence that I developed allergies after having WLS and I blame it on the surgery because I want to but it's unlikely obviously. haha

Anyway, apparently I have allergies now and the flonase takes care of it.

Maybe ask the doctor, or give it a try? It is over the counter and like 15 bucks.

Thanks everyone. I may start Flonase again. I used to use it routinely. I took a long course of allergy shots, and the allergies seemed to be gone for years, so I've stopped all the allergy meds.

I see the voice doc on Friday, so I may also ask him about a course of oral steroids. My idea is that if the symptoms are reduced by oral steroids, it points to an allergy problem.

I hope you figure something out. That is sad that you can’t do something that gave you such joy.

I got allergy shots for 5 years noticed that I was sneezing again & turns out I became allergic to something new. Maybe think about getting tested again.

My nose drips a lot & has for years. No real cause but sometime my reflux can make it worse though mostly at night when my PPI wears off. I find temperature is the worst cause. The colder I feel the more my nose drips. And I feel cold most of the time. It runs like crazy when I go to the grocery store, the cinema or the theatre. We’ve had some lovely spring days here lately & my nose has been pretty good. Today it was much cooler & drip, drip, drip.

My mum has a lot of mucus in her throat but it’s from her compromised breathing (scaring from a lifetime of bronchitis & pneumonia & a curvatures of her spine). She used a puffer for a while but now uses a nebuliser which she says helps a lot.

If it’s not allergies or reflux, have you checked you don’t have a (low grade) infection or even scaring in your lungs? Just a thought.

PS - Some say they’ve discovered their nose runs when they’re full which is a new post surgery realisation. Might not be the cause for you but may be adding to it.

Edited by Arabesque

14 hours ago, Arabesque said:

My nose drips a lot & has for years. No real cause but sometime my reflux can make it worse though mostly at night when my PPI wears off. I find temperature is the worst cause. The colder I feel the more my nose drips. And I feel cold most of the time. It runs like crazy when I go to the grocery store, the cinema or the theatre. We’ve had some lovely spring days here lately & my nose has been pretty good. Today it was much cooler & drip, drip, drip.

My mum has a lot of mucus in her throat but it’s from her compromised breathing (scaring from a lifetime of bronchitis & pneumonia & a curvatures of her spine). She used a puffer for a while but now uses a nebuliser which she says helps a lot.

If it’s not allergies or reflux, have you checked you don’t have a (low grade) infection or even scaring in your lungs? Just a thought.

PS - Some say they’ve discovered their nose runs when they’re full which is a new post surgery realisation. Might not be the cause for you but may be adding to it.

I'm off the proton pump meds entirely, after taking them for more than 20 years. It was actually the voice doc who suggested weight loss surgery when I told him I'd like to get off the PPI meds.

I don't think I have a problem in the lungs. My voice coach says I move more air than most of her clients, some of whom are experienced pros.

For me, when I eat too much, I start sneezing. If overeat a little, it might be half a dozen sneezes. IF it's a lot, I might sneeze 20 or 30 times before I stop.