Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loosing teeth after gastric bypass and the easy way out?

I am so glad that I stumbled upon this post because I have somewhat unexplained dental issues and I am going to ask if they are possibly related to sleeve. I have been going to the dentist twice a year since I had teeth, religiously. I have had a few small cavities over the years but fortunately no issues beyond that.

All fillings have to be replaced eventually so I was not totally surprised when my dentist found a chip in a filling (this was the first one I have ever had that chipped) When he found THREE chipped fillings though, I admit I was a little shocked. I mean, same time last year I had my teeth checked by the same dentist and had zero issues (plus the hygienist cleaned them 6 months ago and didn’t notice anything) so within a period of 6-12 months three fillings are beginning to fail??

This dentist took over the practice a couple years ago, he bought it from my favorite dentist who retired but my hygienist is still there so I just kept going. Well my first thought was is this guy just trying to make a bunch of money off of me by saying my fillings are chipped? I even considered getting a second opinion but of course I’d have to pay for that and I know the fillings will be due to be replaced anytime now.

Well, now I am wondering if the acid is making the fillings wear faster because of the surgery?? My appointment is in a couple weeks. I will definitely be asking his opinion on this and what if anything I can do. I know it’s not a Vitamin issue because i am very good about those and my labs have been excellent. For what it’s worth if it IS related to surgery though I did not have any vomiting or reflux. I did not have issues getting Protein or Vitamins. Didn’t even lose any hair? ? This could all be total coincidence but it sure seems suspicious time wise.

54 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I am so glad that I stumbled upon this post because I have somewhat unexplained dental issues and I am going to ask if they are possibly related to sleeve. I have been going to the dentist twice a year since I had teeth, religiously. I have had a few small cavities over the years but fortunately no issues beyond that.

All fillings have to be replaced eventually so I was not totally surprised when my dentist found a chip in a filling (this was the first one I have ever had that chipped) When he found THREE chipped fillings though, I admit I was a little shocked. I mean, same time last year I had my teeth checked by the same dentist and had zero issues (plus the hygienist cleaned them 6 months ago and didn’t notice anything) so within a period of 6-12 months three fillings are beginning to fail??

This dentist took over the practice a couple years ago, he bought it from my favorite dentist who retired but my hygienist is still there so I just kept going. Well my first thought was is this guy just trying to make a bunch of money off of me by saying my fillings are chipped? I even considered getting a second opinion but of course I’d have to pay for that and I know the fillings will be due to be replaced anytime now.

Well, now I am wondering if the acid is making the fillings wear faster because of the surgery?? My appointment is in a couple weeks. I will definitely be asking his opinion on this and what if anything I can do. I know it’s not a Vitamin issue because i am very good about those and my labs have been excellent. For what it’s worth if it IS related to surgery though I did not have any vomiting or reflux. I did not have issues getting Protein or Vitamins. Didn’t even lose any hair? ? This could all be total coincidence but it sure seems suspicious time wise.

This sort of happened to me, about two weeks before my revision surgery (and I doubt having a Lap Band previously had any bearing on my situation.) My favorite dentist that I'd been with for years retired and a younger dentist took over his practice, so I stayed. I met him for the first time in June when I went for my regularly scheduled six month exam and cleaning. Well, he found an issue with a filling. He said that it was leaking (failing) and there was decay behind the filling. I asked him why my previous dentist didn't see it six months ago... he showed me his "dental binoculars" and explained to me how they're newer technology that my "old & much older" dentist probably never used. Which he was right, my "old" dentist didn't use those. He told me he can see much better with those than without them, and catch issues sooner. So I chalk my experience up to having a younger, more modern taught dentist utilizing the latest tools.

On 8/31/2022 at 6:14 PM, STLoser said:

Also, even if it WERE the easy way out, which it is not, what is so wrong with doing something the easy way!? So we should do everything the hard way or it doesn't count!? We have so many things to make our lives easier (washing machines, dishwashers, etc) and no one accuses us of taking the easy way out with those. Maybe we should just go back to hand washing all our clothes with a washboard. Wouldn't want to take the easy way out!
I'm sorry. I'm ranty today.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app

Totally agree with this, "work smarter not harder" ... unless it's weight loss surgery apparently. We all know going through this journey it's not the easy way out. It surprises people when I tell them all the life-altering changes we have to make. I do think it's SLOWLY starting to become more acceptable to society. It makes me sad that most people wait till it's their very last option (✋🏼💁‍♀️👈🏼 Hi, it's me I'm one of the people) because they're afraid they are going to be labeled for taking "The easy way out". It's life-changing and I don't regret it for a second, anyone that doesn't or wouldn't understand my decision is probably not someone I want around in my life anyway.

Totally agree with this, "work smarter not harder" ... unless it's weight loss surgery apparently. We all know going through this journey it's not the easy way out. It surprises people when I tell them all the life-altering changes we have to make. I do think it's SLOWLY starting to become more acceptable to society. It makes me sad that most people wait till it's their very last option ([emoji1367][emoji2272][emoji1372] Hi, it's me I'm one of the people) because they're afraid they are going to be labeled for taking "The easy way out". It's life-changing and I don't regret it for a second, anyone that doesn't or wouldn't understand my decision is probably not someone I want around in my life anyway.
Yes yes yes! Very well said. I was also a person who waiting forever. I was 48 when I had my surgery, but I THOUGHT about it for 20 years. I wish I had done it 20 years ago when I only had 100 pounds to lose instead of when I was almost 50 and had over 200 to lose.
And I agree, I don't want to be around anyone who thinks I took the easy way out!
It is a life altering surgery, but absolutely worth it!

On 9/2/2022 at 7:17 AM, ShoppGirl said:

I’m not sure if yours is similar to what I had several years ago but once someone else told me and I shopped around I realized that the dental insurance was not saving me that much money. Not enough to be limited to dentists that I didn’t feel were that great. Maybe call around and ask for the cash price for what you are having done (especially if it’s just routine stuff) and see if you are really saving enough to put up with their mismanaged scheduling.

I might have to. If they cancel again, I will have to call a place close by to see if they can do my fillings especially on the tooth that broke/filling fell out!

You guys are right about the teeth. I asked the nurse at my bariatrics office and she said they're either not following up with appointments or not taking their supplements like they're supposed to

10 hours ago, Erin18 said:

You guys are right about the teeth. I asked the nurse at my bariatrics office and she said they're either not following up with appointments or not taking their supplements like they're supposed to

Idk, IF my chipped cavities are related to sleeve then that’s not always the case because I am the model bariatric patient. I even asked to follow up MORE often just to hold myself accountable. In a year and a half I have missed my Calcium maybe twice (never missed my Multivitamin to this day), I get my Protein religiously and I take great care of my teeth to include professional cleanings twice a year. It is possible they are just coincidence time wise. That’s always possible I guess. But I am going to ask the dentist and I will report back here with his opinion of whether it’s excess acid. I guess even if it is this isn’t an extreme case of teeth falling out but I’m only a year and a half out so I guess only time will tell. Not trying to scare anyone. But I was never warned about the possibility and I think people should know about all the possible risks going in. My appt is Sept 22nd. If I forget to reply someone mention me to remind me and I will let everyone know what the dentist says.

10 hours ago, Erin18 said:

I might have to. If they cancel again, I will have to call a place close by to see if they can do my fillings especially on the tooth that broke/filling fell out!

Ooh absolutely. I really hope it’s just like $10 difference as it was for me. Not at all worth being restricted by choice of dentist or their scheduling mess.

3 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Idk, IF my chipped cavities are related to sleeve then that’s not always the case because I am the model bariatric patient. I even asked to follow up MORE often just to hold myself accountable. In a year and a half I have missed my Calcium maybe twice (never missed my Multivitamin to this day), I get my Protein religiously and I take great care of my teeth to include professional cleanings twice a year. It is possible they are just coincidence time wise. That’s always possible I guess. But I am going to ask the dentist and I will report back here with his opinion of whether it’s excess acid. I guess even if it is this isn’t an extreme case of teeth falling out but I’m only a year and a half out so I guess only time will tell. Not trying to scare anyone. But I was never warned about the possibility and I think people should know about all the possible risks going in. My appt is Sept 22nd. If I forget to reply someone mention me to remind me and I will let everyone know what the dentist says.

acid can cause decay - but probably not chipped teeth. Not sure what's going on there. Let us know what the dentist says.

If you couldn’t cite Wikipedia or TikTok on a term paper why would you believe they are reliable sources now?

I found I have more cavities, but there are reasonable explanations. One, menopausal hormone changes make women more susceptible to cavities due to dryness of the mouth. Two, weather/climate change is causing more allergies and mouth breathing. Three, cheap US dentists when on Medicaid use cheap filling products that don’t last more than two years, not many dentists take Medicaid anyway so you’re kind of stuck with who you find. Four, yeah the hernias and GERD caused lots of regurgitation. I never had a cavity until I was 44. Not everyone has the same experience. I can honestly say that the bypass and hernia repair have corrected the terrible GERD symptoms! Teeth I’m coming after you.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

acid can cause decay - but probably not chipped teeth. Not sure what's going on there. Let us know what the dentist says.

It’s chips in my fillings. Not sure why I said chipped cavities, lol. I go to the dentist twice a year and have never had any but this time I have THREE. I know that fillings do fail eventually and I have had some of them for over a decade, possibly two so It’s also possible they are just past their prime but three at the same time I thought was really odd (when they were all definitely fine during my recent exam). I thought acid could possibly have to do with it?? I will let you know after my appointment what the dentist thinks though.

Edited by ShoppGirl

A lot of people who have never struggled with their weight (or people who have only had to lose, like, 20 pounds) want to think of weight as a personal or moral attribute. They want to believe that their ability to control their weight is indicative of their personal superiority, so they feel threatened by the thought of some of us -- whom they view as inferior based solely on weight -- can "cheat" our way into their category.

Many people who haven't looked into weight loss surgery also have no idea how hard it is. I think back to the first time I read about gastric bypass and thought it sounded like absolute magic -- the answer to all my problems! You get your stomach stapled and the weight just falls right off. And then I found out about all the risks and potential complications, dumping syndrome, and the fact that some people still regain the weight, and that was enough to turn me off from weight loss surgery for 15+ years. And even then, it wasn't until I actually started the process that I found out about the pre-op diet and all the post-op phases, having to constantly sip Water all day just to avoid dehydration and go for weeks without solid food. I'd be willing to bet that most people have no clue how hard it is to get through all the pre-op requirements and post-op phases.

Ironically, it's those people who have never had to think about weight loss surgery who really have the easy way out in that they don't have the propensity for weight gain in the first place. They have no idea how hard some of us have to work to lose weight and/or keep it off.

A lot of people who have never struggled with their weight (or people who have only had to lose, like, 20 pounds) want to think of weight as a personal or moral attribute. They want to believe that their ability to control their weight is indicative of their personal superiority, so they feel threatened by the thought of some of us -- whom they view as inferior based solely on weight -- can "cheat" our way into their category.
Many people who haven't looked into weight loss surgery also have no idea how hard it is. I think back to the first time I read about gastric bypass and thought it sounded like absolute magic -- the answer to all my problems! You get your stomach stapled and the weight just falls right off. And then I found out about all the risks and potential complications, dumping syndrome, and the fact that some people still regain the weight, and that was enough to turn me off from weight loss surgery for 15+ years. And even then, it wasn't until I actually started the process that I found out about the pre-op diet and all the post-op phases, having to constantly sip Water all day just to avoid dehydration and go for weeks without solid food. I'd be willing to bet that most people have no clue how hard it is to get through all the pre-op requirements and post-op phases.
Ironically, it's those people who have never had to think about weight loss surgery who really have the easy way out in that they don't have the propensity for weight gain in the first place. They have no idea how hard some of us have to work to lose weight and/or keep it off.

This is so well said!

On 9/1/2022 at 6:38 PM, noteasierstronger said:

These pixies sound awesome. Also it would be a crazy busy job. But then what do they do with the fat after they take it away? Is that how other people gain weight? Do you have to make offerings to the pixies in order to stay on their good side?
... Maybe I should stop wandering down this rabbit hole... :)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm pretty sure they make exotic soap out of the fat and sell it to anyone that call wls the"easy way out".

I had the gastric sleeve in 2018 and unfortunately I got very sick ended up getting gerd so bad all I do is vomit and I’ve lost broke off all my upper teeth almost going in for a revision to bypass in October 10th I’m scared cause I got really sick after I had the sleeve hopefully I do ok this time scared